Condi Considers Conundrum

GBFan

Former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice says she is among those who believe that there are legitimate questions that have not yet been answered about the 2012 Benghazi attack.

“Let’s remember, we did have the 9/11 Commission. Bipartisan. I testified before it,” Rice said during in a video interview with OZY, when host Carlos Watson condescendingly blamed Fox News for making Benghazi an issue.

“I think there are still unanswered questions about Benghazi,” Rice went on. ”I think there are unanswered questions and they could be easily answered. But I think they need to be answered.”

“For me it is not a question of what the talking points said or didn’t say,” Rice continued. “But I don’t think people feel that we know fully what happened in that period during the attack. I don’ think people know fully what the security situation was on the ground prior to the attack. And this is all in the spirit of trying to improve the next time because this isn’t a question of blaming anybody. Those situations are extremely difficult. But you do need to say, ‘Did we address the security situation on the ground or not?’”

As for whether she agrees with the House’s vote last week to establish a special committee to investigate Benghazi, Rice said the House has every right to do so.

“When the House says that it wishes to investigate something, it has a right to do that,” she said. “And so I think, done in the right way with the right cooperation, we can put this to rest — and that’s how I would handle it at this point.”

Rice also said during the interview that President Barack Obama should send many more troops to the Baltic States in order to push back against Russian President Vladimir Putin’s ambitions in the region.

“I would also favor putting troops, American troops, in the Baltic States,” Rice explained. “We’ve put 600 there, I would put many more. Because Vladimir Putin is not going to move against American forces.”

“[H]e does not want to take on the United States of America,” she said. “He wants to push as far as he can without real resistance. But he’s not going to fire on a country in which American forces are stationed. … Of that one, I am pretty certain.”

Werbung:
Back