Congress defunds enforcement of incandescent-light-bulb ban

Little-Acorn

In the funding bill to keep the government from shutting down, that has passed the House today and will likely be signed into law, the House struck a deal to include a passage to defund the incandescent light-bulb ban from 2007.

Some people are saying that this "lifts the ban" on incandescent light bulbs. Unfortunately, that's not so.
Even if present bills become law, the ban will still be in place. Specifically, bulbs below a certain efficiency level (which includes pretty much all incandescents) can no longer be legally produced and sold.

In the legislation mentioned above, all they did was defund the enforcement of the ban. But the ban is still on the books, and is still law.

So now we have a situation where if a company keeps making and selling incandescent bulbs after the deadline, they ARE in violation of the law. The gummint is just banned from spending any money on inspections, court cases, making room in jail for them, etc.

Any company that wants to obey the law still can't make and sell incandescent bulbs.

It's sort of like the situation where illegal aliens keep walking across the border by the millions into the United States. There are Federal laws on the books against doing that. But since the Fed govt has made very little effort (until recently) to enforce its own laws, the illegals have been doing it freely for years. So anyone who wants to violate US law can do so without repercussion. But they are still illegals.

Werbung:
Well,
At least this is a start. As I am sure most are aware, fluorescent bulbs can be dangerous. Fluorescent light bulbs can also be very distracting to children with autism. Considering the importance of early intervention for children with this disorder one would think that our dictatorship government would have made some sort of allowance for incandescent bulbs in special circumstances. But, of course, these are environmentalist wacko's we are talking about here. Anyway, appreciate the update Little-Acorn.

Some autistic people are bothered by visual distractions and fluorescent lights. They can see the flicker of the 60-cycle electricity. To avoid this problem, place the child's desk near the window or try to avoid using fluorescent lights. If the lights cannot be avoided, use the newest bulbs you can get. New bulbs flicker less. The flickering of fluorescent lights can also be reduced by putting a lamp with an old-fashioned incandescent light bulb next to the child's desk.

http://www.autism.com/ind_teaching_tips.asp

I haven't yet got to see the LED replacement bulbs in action. They're still like $15-25, so I'm not going to pay that kind of money to test them out. I sure hope they convert to DC first and that they're not like the flickery LED Christmas lights.

I'd have preferred keeping the EPA measures.

Hmm .... considering the dangerous high level of mercury in the compact fluorescent bulbs and the fact that there is no recycling them, not to mention the horrific health problems experienced by workers in the plants where these bulbs are made .... I am thinking these "measures" by the EPA are an epic fail as are any measures from the job killing failed government agency known as the Environmental Protection Agency.

Hmm .... considering the dangerous high level of mercury in the compact fluorescent bulbs and the fact that there is no recycling them, not to mention the horrific health problems experienced by workers in the plants where these bulbs are made .... I am thinking these "measures" by the EPA are an epic fail as are any measures from the job killing failed government agency known as the Environmental Protection Agency.

I think its funny when right wingers pretend to care about Mercury and pollution...god you guys love out of date 100 year old light bulbs that waste power and money.

I think its funny when right wingers pretend to care about Mercury and pollution...god you guys love out of date 100 year old light bulbs that waste power and money.

Face it, neither party cares about pollution. Obama hasn't exactly been an environmental president...just more of the same. This new light bulbs suck. They cost way too much and if you slam a door near any of them they go out just like the old ones..only replacing them is a heck of a lot more expensive.

Face it, neither party cares about pollution. Obama hasn't exactly been an environmental president...just more of the same. This new light bulbs suck. They cost way too much and if you slam a door near any of them they go out just like the old ones..only replacing them is a heck of a lot more expensive.
You are right Popeye .... However, I think your point is way above the discernment of someone who cannot see past their own self inflicted ideologies.

Werbung:
Dem Congressman on light bulb ban: "Mission Accomplished."

----------------------------------------------

http://thehill.com/blogs/e2-wire/e2...-rider-will-have-little-practical-consequence

Sen. Bingaman: Light bulb rider will have 'little practical consequence'

By Andrew Restuccia - 12/16/11 01:51 PM ET

While the omnibus rider blocks funding for some efficiency rules, it won’t stop them from going into effect, he said.

Republican attempts to block pending light bulb efficiency standards will have “little practical consequence,” Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee Chairman Jeff Bingaman (D-N.M.) said Friday.

While a GOP-backed rider in the omnibus spending deal blocks funding for the implementation of certain Energy Department light bulb efficiency rules, Bingaman said it won’t stop the law from going into effect at the beginning of next year.

“This decision may have little practical consequence on which incandescent light bulbs are available in stores because, starting Jan. 1, it will be illegal to produce or import the inefficient, wasteful bulbs in the United States,” Bingaman said in a statement.

Back