Congress is riding in style....

Oh I do not think a political utopia is ever possible but I do think that we could change a few things that we all agree on or at least most of us agree on like the above IF we didnt get caught up in the abortion, guns and God topics. I include myself in that... I am easily distracted when someone wags these issues in my face.

If only we'd stick to the real, core issues of limited government, balanced budgets, and a more workable foreign policy,

If only we'd forget about which team (Democrap or Repugnican) is "winning" and do what is right for the nation as a whole,

If only we'd admit that there isn't much that the Congress or the WH can do about abortion, guns, and god..

Yes, we could accomplish a lot.

Washington warned us about political parties, remember?

Werbung:
If only we'd stick to the real, core issues of limited government, balanced budgets, and a more workable foreign policy,

If only we'd forget about which team (Democrap or Repugnican) is "winning" and do what is right for the nation as a whole,

If only we'd admit that there isn't much that the Congress or the WH can do about abortion, guns, and god..

Yes, we could accomplish a lot.

Washington warned us about political parties, remember?

I agree with you. I would be happy to have government out of abortion, but as long as they stay in it, I have to be in it too since they are on the wrong side of the issue.

I would LOVE for government to get out of the God business but if they are in it and trying to ban it then I am stuck being in it too.

I agree though it would be nice. I think they are in those issues because those are hot button issues that get people on their side.

a more workable foreign policy is the hardest of all

God, Guns and abortion are "for the most part" a yes or no issue

a more workable foreign policy is far more complicated.

Well I say something that will probably surprise a few.

I look at the total package and even though the Republicans were the major voice on getting these 3 new private jets... I don't really have a big problem with it.

This is why.

Politicians don't make jack compared to what they'd make in the private sector... that's a well documented fact. Not paying them decently only opens up more likelihood of corruption for income. And just like you hear from big business all the time... If you want to attract and maintain good quality employees you have to make their compensation worthy.

These "perks" like SOMETIMES being able to fly private which is not only quicker and more flexible but also has a higher degree of security by the fact that it's a designated group only on these planes spread out amongst ALL the members of Congress is not a great big deal IMO.

It's not like everyone gets their own private jet... it's 3 jets total.

This is something like their health insurance plan or free Secret Service protection if needed... they are "perks" to the job that still all added up aren't anything compared to what most all these leaders would make in the private sector.

You can complain about anyone's compensation package. I think it's insane for an NFL or NBA player to make $10,000,000 (ten million dollars) per year to play a game. But that level is the top of that particular occupation.

So this salary... plus some "perks" for our nations most powerful leaders doesn't personally send me out into the streets crying & screaming.

Salaries and Benefits of US Congress Members
By Robert Longley, About.com

U.S. Congress salaries and benefits have been the source of taxpayer unhappiness and myths over the years. Here are some facts for your consideration.

Rank-and-File Members:
The current salary (2009) for rank-and-file members of the House and Senate is $174,000 per year.

So after taxes what is that bring home... $120K-$125K per year? Not exactly rich is it?

Werbung:
Well I say something that will probably surprise a few.

I look at the total package and even though the Republicans were the major voice on getting these 3 new private jets... I don't really have a big problem with it.

This is why.

Politicians don't make jack compared to what they'd make in the private sector... that's a well documented fact. Not paying them decently only opens up more likelihood of corruption for income. And just like you hear from big business all the time... If you want to attract and maintain good quality employees you have to make their compensation worthy.

These "perks" like SOMETIMES being able to fly private which is not only quicker and more flexible but also has a higher degree of security by the fact that it's a designated group only on these planes spread out amongst ALL the members of Congress is not a great big deal IMO.

It's not like everyone gets their own private jet... it's 3 jets total.

This is something like their health insurance plan or free Secret Service protection if needed... they are "perks" to the job that still all added up aren't anything compared to what most all these leaders would make in the private sector.

You can complain about anyone's compensation package. I think it's insane for an NFL or NBA player to make $10,000,000 (ten million dollars) per year to play a game. But that level is the top of that particular occupation.

So this salary... plus some "perks" for our nations most powerful leaders doesn't personally send me out into the streets crying & screaming.

Salaries and Benefits of US Congress Members
By Robert Longley, About.com

U.S. Congress salaries and benefits have been the source of taxpayer unhappiness and myths over the years. Here are some facts for your consideration.

Rank-and-File Members:
The current salary (2009) for rank-and-file members of the House and Senate is $174,000 per year.

So after taxes what is that bring home... $120K-$125K per year? Not exactly rich is it?

I dont care who wanted it. D's and Rs dont matter to me, they are spending our money on themselves AGAIN.

But I honestly am not even so upset that they are spending our money as I am upset about two other things.

#1. they had the nerve to wag their finger at the car companies CEO's for flying on a smaller jet than these jerks are buying for themselves.

#2. They constantly go on and on about global warming and how we all have to sacrifice and do our part. All of us but them it seems.

The fact they are greedy pigs spending our money on themselves again comes in #3.

Back