Congressman calls evolution lie from ‘pit of hell’

PLC1

Staff member
ATHENS, Ga. — Georgia Rep. Paul Broun said in videotaped remarks that evolution, embryology and the Big Bang theory are "lies straight from the pit of hell" meant to convince people that they do not need a savior.

Broun also said that he believes the Earth is about 9,000 years old and that it was made in six days. Those beliefs are held by fundamentalist Christians who believe the creation accounts in the Bible to be literally true.

Oh, well, so his medieval ideas on those subjects don't necessarily mean he won't be a good Congressman, do they?

He sits on the House Committee on Science, Space and Technology.

Oh. Maybe they do.

link

Werbung:
well everyone is entitled to their opinion. I did read a while back that they no longer think humans all sprang out of the same part of the world. now thats bad news as it COULD suggest that there was no one Eden but several. of course there is the mysterious Nob where Cain's missus came from location east of Eden. Hmmm so maybe the Bible got it right after all ! Just a disagreement on time reference points.

hows that for a pot stirrer !

well everyone is entitled to their opinion. I did read a while back that they no longer think humans all sprang out of the same part of the world. now thats bad news as it COULD suggest that there was no one Eden but several. of course there is the mysterious Nob where Cain's missus came from location east of Eden. Hmmm so maybe the Bible got it right after all ! Just a disagreement on time reference points.

hows that for a pot stirrer !

Yes, it is.

We know that human society began a transformation about 10,000 or so years ago from hunter gatherer to agriculture. Was that due to an improvement in the gene pool put there by Adam and Eve? How's that for wild speculation? It does answer the question of just who Adam and Eve's children married.

Yes, it is.

We know that human society began a transformation about 10,000 or so years ago from hunter gatherer to agriculture. Was that due to an improvement in the gene pool put there by Adam and Eve? How's that for wild speculation? It does answer the question of just who Adam and Eve's children married.

I figured that occurred when they learned how to fish. plenty of fish so wandering wasnt necessary and they had time andairable land to raise crops on.

I figured that occurred when they learned how to fish. plenty of fish so wandering wasnt necessary and they had time andairable land to raise crops on.

That's a pretty good guess, too, but I'm afraid maybe fishing goes back a lot further than 10,000 years.

Homo sapiens existed for about 190,000 years as hunter gatherers, then rather suddenly, after 95% of our history had already passed, started experimenting in agriculture, written language, building cities, and mathematics. There has to be a reason for that sudden transformation.

Someone (don't remember who) suggested that it happened when population reached a critical mass. That could be, too.

Oh, well, so his medieval ideas on those subjects don't necessarily mean he won't be a good Congressman, do they?

Oh. Maybe they do.

link

At first I thought it was very odd that someone with his beliefs would be on the Science, Space and Technology committee. Saw in the linked article that he is a medical doctor. That's good enough for me, he's definitely qualified to sit on that committee.

well everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Unless they play WoW, then they should shut up.:whistle: (just kidding, couldn't resist. I have no self-control:))

I did read a while back that they no longer think humans all sprang out of the same part of the world. now thats bad news as it COULD suggest that there was no one Eden but several. of course there is the mysterious Nob where Cain's missus came from location east of Eden. Hmmm so maybe the Bible got it right after all ! Just a disagreement on time reference points.

Are they talking about mankind independently evolving in multiple locations or just branches being created? If they're talking about independently evolving could you post a link? I'd be really interested in reading that.

That's a pretty good guess, too, but I'm afraid maybe fishing goes back a lot further than 10,000 years.

Homo sapiens existed for about 190,000 years as hunter gatherers, then rather suddenly, after 95% of our history had already passed, started experimenting in agriculture, written language, building cities, and mathematics. There has to be a reason for that sudden transformation.

Someone (don't remember who) suggested that it happened when population reached a critical mass. That could be, too.

duh, fish hook... spear fishing is an iffy proposition at best

They have found stone tools and spears going back 400k years. I don't understand why evolution and creation have to be exclusive of each other.

They have found stone tools and spears going back 400k years. I don't understand why evolution and creation have to be exclusive of each other.

if you replace creationism with intellegent designg I'm with you. if you keep peeling back the onion there is just no explaining when mineral becomes life. if you want to call it God breathing life into the mud, I'm cool with that.

. if you want to call it God breathing life into the mud, I'm cool with that.

The earth went through a lot of violent beginnings and there was a lot of energy around. I don't see that as anything contradictory to the bible other than people taking the six days as being literal. Even in the bible it says something about God's time being different than our time.

The earth went through a lot of violent beginnings and there was a lot of energy around. I don't see that as anything contradictory to the bible other than people taking the six days as being literal. Even in the bible it says something about God's time being different than our time.

I've never been hung up on what a day is

If you want really wild speculation ask yourself if that was the first time mankind transitioned to agriculture.

If you want really wild speculation ask yourself if that was the first time mankind transitioned to agriculture.

The Neolithic (or "New" Stone Age) was a period in the development of human technology that is traditionally the last part of the Stone Age. The name was invented by John Lubbock, 1st Baron Avebury (1834-1913) in 1865 as a refinement of the three-age system of stone, bronze and iron ages. The term is more commonly used in the Old World (Europe), as its application to cultures in the Americas and Oceania is problematic. These cultures are said to have remained neoliytic until the time of the European conquest. It can be roughly dated from about 9000 B.C.E. to 3000 B.C.E.
The Neolithic era follows the terminal Pleistocene Epipalaeolithic and early Holocene Mesolithic periods, beginning with the start of farming and ending when metal tools became widespread in the Copper Age (chalcolithic), Bronze Age or Iron Age, depending on geographical region. The term "Neolithic" thus does not refer to a specific chronological period, but rather to a suite of behavioral and cultural characteristics including the use of both wild and domestic crops and the use of domesticated animals. Some archaeologists have long advocated replacing "Neolithic" with a more descriptive term, such as Early Village Communities, although this term has not gained wide acceptance.

Life as we know it today began to take shape during this period of pre-history (pre-history refers to lack of written records) and while much that has been written about Neolithic culture is speculative, it can be asserted that men and women were becoming more aware of their inter-dependence, of social obligations and of loyalties beyond the immediate family, although evidence here is limited. However, there also appears to have been conflict between groups or tribes. If some theories are correct, this was also a time when the earth and the planet were honored, suggesting a more symbiotic relationship with the land than that of the modern world, where too often the planet is treated as an expendable commodity.

http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Neolithic_Age

Werbung:
Consider this: 20,000 years ago the sea level was almost 500 feet lower than it is today. I looked online quickly and couldn't find an exact answer, but if people back then were anything like we are today then a large, large percentage lived within 500 feet of sea level, and if there were any large population centers most were likely at or very near sea level. Food for thought.

Back