David Letterman is a rude, liberal political hack

Werbung:
Well I hope this flap has finally met its conclusion with Letterman issuing a more sincere apology. Now we can all move forward and realize the world isnt going to end. In the end though, the real winner is Sarah Palin. She got her name in the news longer that it otherwise would have been. Letterman backed down, and Sarah gets to play the card of not only the winner, but also the victim.

Pandora, I certainly understand your sentiments about the media, and public playing nice when it comes to a number of public officials. I just dont think it is very plausibile in today's society and with the 24hour media coverage we seem to thrive on.
Also, where does one draw the line? Are politicians off limits but actors and musicians fair game? I have heard some horrible things said about many people, but it is swept under the rug because there is not a political campaign to defend themselves or a number of supported willing to actively boycott one thing or another.

Also, as for the movie. I can say I hated it. There are a few things that I hold near and dear to my heart. Alaska, hockey, and the outdoors, especially subsistence activities. That movie smeared Alaska and subsistence. Nothing about the Palin policies. They werent parodying Palin, but much of the state.

Also, as for the movie. I can say I hated it. There are a few things that I hold near and dear to my heart. Alaska, hockey, and the outdoors, especially subsistence activities. That movie smeared Alaska and subsistence. Nothing about the Palin policies. They werent parodying Palin, but much of the state.

I did not see anything bad about Alaska, but I was not looking for it either.

I thought the exagerated accent was funny, they should have used "and also" more.

She is not as dumb as they make her out to be but she has said a few silly things that will stick with her for life. I think all that stuff is fair game.

Well I hope this flap has finally met its conclusion with Letterman issuing a more sincere apology. Now we can all move forward and realize the world isnt going to end. In the end though, the real winner is Sarah Palin. She got her name in the news longer that it otherwise would have been. Letterman backed down, and Sarah gets to play the card of not only the winner, but also the victim.

Pandora, I certainly understand your sentiments about the media, and public playing nice when it comes to a number of public officials. I just dont think it is very plausibile in today's society and with the 24hour media coverage we seem to thrive on.
Also, where does one draw the line? Are politicians off limits but actors and musicians fair game? I have heard some horrible things said about many people, but it is swept under the rug because there is not a political campaign to defend themselves or a number of supported willing to actively boycott one thing or another.

I don’t see her as the winner or him the loser either one. Hopefully if people will stop attacking the kids of politicians then the kids in general are winners.

I guess the kids of everyone really... but it’s usually politician’s kids that get attacked, or actor/ singers who speak out politically. Example... Alec Baldwin, it’s because he is political that people played the tape of him calling his 12 year old daughter a disgusting pig. I don’t think it would have gotten the traction it did if he were not political.

Jokes about anyone are fair game if it’s something that fits them, but it’s really wrong when it’s just something mean. Example.. It should be fine to make fun of Sarah Palin saying "and also" all the time, or her Putin peering his head over her house comment. But she does not dress slutty and neither does air line stewards. She dresses like a business woman. In an attempt to insult degrade and hurt her, all business women who dress appropriately and all airline stewards were attacked also.

Also, kids should be off limits and if people did not tolerate it, comedians would not attempt to drag them in the jokes.

And the Putin part was too funny also. The whole thing was great!

And it's meant to be funny just exactly like all Palin jokes. She is a parody of herself.:)

The whole David Letterman thing was blown completely out of proportion so Palin could try and shield herself from being made fun of. She basically grabbed her kids and tried to use them as human shields to discourage comedians from cracking on her and her families ways.

And here's the real kicker, I just heard about these clips on the Conservative radio show The Dennis Miller Show yesterday... at prior times BOTH Jay Leno & Conan O'Brien have had in their monologues jokes about Palin's daughter being pregnant under unusual circumstances... go figure.:)

Letterman just appears the most Left leaning... so the Palin's just tried to take a hit at him.

But I'm glad you could laugh at the last clip though...:)

And it's meant to be funny just exactly like all Palin jokes. She is a parody of herself.:)

The whole David Letterman thing was blown completely out of proportion so Palin could try and shield herself from being made fun of. She basically grabbed her kids and tried to use them as human shields to discourage comedians from cracking on her and her families ways.

And here's the real kicker, I just heard about these clips on the Conservative radio show The Dennis Miller Show yesterday... at prior times BOTH Jay Leno & Conan O'Brien have had in their monologues jokes about Palin's daughter being pregnant under unusual circumstances... go figure.:)

Letterman just appears the most Left leaning... so the Palin's just tried to take a hit at him.

But I'm glad you could laugh at the last clip though...:)

He has made jokes about her before and nothing blew up or came of it. Even this one no one is talking much about the dressing slutty... I personally am very offended by that. He insinuates air line stewards and business women are slutty dressers, he insulted many women while trying to bring Sarah down.

but the thing people are upset about is his bringing her kids into it, and equating having sex with your boyfriend as equal to being a slut at a ball game screwing who or what ever. Its too bad you cant see that was wrong. It would be more helpful to young girls if you could see that was wrong and over the line and should not have been said, yes even about Sarah Palins daughters.

OMG Bunz now don't you get all touchy about Palin because she lives in Alaska.:)

The clip was ABSOLUTELY about Palin. We have snow machines down here in the lower 48... call them snowmobiles, but still. We have tons of drunk drivers down here in the lower 48... beauty pagents... hunters... unqualified candidates... working women having babies... etc. etc.

And don't ya think when Palin goes on SNL and rap sings while a guy in a full moose costume dances around until finally shot kinda brings this on herself?

Well of course it does!:) Doesn't mean the viewers or comedy writers don't respect and value Alaska. Here in Columbus, Ohio were often refereed to as a Cow Town because people in super large urban areas like New York or LA think we're kinda small in comparison.

You know what we do? We laugh about it and embrace it because, IT'S FUNNY!:) Talk about hockey for instance. Guess what one of the major contenders for our hockey team's name the Blue Jackets was? It was the local favorite... THE MAD COWS!:)

Now you're not going to tell me we have a better sense of humor down here than up in Alaska are ya???

but the thing people are upset about is his bringing her kids into it, and equating having sex with your boyfriend as equal to being a slut at a ball game screwing who or what ever. Its too bad you cant see that was wrong. It would be more helpful to young girls if you could see that was wrong and over the line and should not have been said, yes even about Sarah Palins daughters.
Yeah.....David Letterman was the worst.

:rolleyes:

"On Sept. 2, during the presidential campaign, Leno, for example, told this joke on "The Tonight Show": "Governor Palin announced over the weekend that her 17-year-old unmarried daughter is five months pregnant. And you thought John Edwards was in trouble before! Now he has really done it."

On Oct. 10, O'Brien, then host of "Late Night," quipped: "Sarah Palin is going to drop the first puck at the Philadelphia Flyers hockey game. Then Palin will spend the rest of the game trying to keep the hockey players out of her daughter's penalty box."

While the pregnant-daughter theme was most common on late-night shows during the fall campaign, it has never fully disappeared. And Letterman told far fewer of these jokes than some of his late-night brethren.

The comedian most likely to bash Bristol Palin? O'Brien, with 20 jokes at her expense.

"Saturday Night Live" has also parodied the Palin family in questionable ways. In a skit last September, a mock reporter joked about incest in the vice presidential candidate's family, saying, "I mean, come on. It's Alaska!"

Palin not only didn't protest, she appeared as a guest on the program a few weeks later.

Even if his anti-Palin jokes have been less numerous than others', Letterman may be a more polarizing figure than other late-night comics -- and thus a ripe target for Palin, says S. Robert Lichter, the CMPA's director. "He's everything that Palin is not. He's urban, he's ironic. More importantly, he's everything that Sarah Palin's supporters aren't. He's becoming the Dan Rather of political comedians."

He has made jokes about her before and nothing blew up or came of it. Even this one no one is talking much about the dressing slutty... I personally am very offended by that. He insinuates air line stewards and business women are slutty dressers, he insulted many women while trying to bring Sarah down.

Listen Pandora I have 2 daughters 22 and 29 years old. My wife is a card carrying member of NOW... her sister a former state President of NOW. All think it was nothing more than a revamp of the jokes that everyone was telling during the election. No one in their right mind thinks it was targeted at a minor or flight attendants or business women... it was simply a joke about Palin "family values".

And I notice you don't seem at all concerned about poor old belittled A-Rod the baseball player that was mentioned. The joke was equally a swipe at him for being a playboy, divorcing his wife and having ties now to Madonna!

That's because it's all just a joke by a COMEDIAN!:D Act all distraught if you want but everyone knows it's simply a ploy to attack a COMEDIAN:D that like the vast majority of the country thinks Caribou Barbie & family is pretty darn out there at times.

Listen Pandora I have 2 daughters 22 and 29 years old. My wife is a card carrying member of NOW... her sister a former state President of NOW. All think it was nothing more than a revamp of the jokes that everyone was telling during the election. No one in their right mind thinks it was targeted at a minor or flight attendants or business women... it was simply a joke about Palin "family values".

And I notice you don't seem at all concerned about poor old belittled A-Rod the baseball player that was mentioned. The joke was equally a swipe at him for being a playboy, divorcing his wife and having ties now to Madonna!

That's because it's all just a joke by a COMEDIAN!:D Act all distraught if you want but everyone knows it's simply a ploy to attack a COMEDIAN:D that like the vast majority of the country thinks Caribou Barbie & family is pretty darn out there at times.

A-Rod dated Madonna? I am not even sure who he is. Does he dye is hair a differnt color before every game? No one insinuated he dressed slutty or that he was a whore. Its sad but the more girls a men have sex with the more of a man he thinks he is. the more men a girl has sex with the more of a slut she is. the joke would not hurt a man like it would a woman.

I am very disapointed in your wife her sister and NOW, they did not stand up to the sexist treatment Hillary took, or Sarah or Miss California. The judge called her a B!ctch and NOW had nothing to say about it. I have no respect for a group like that.

Yeah.....David Letterman was the worst.

"On Sept. 2, during the presidential campaign, Leno, for example, told this joke on "The Tonight Show": "Governor Palin announced over the weekend that her 17-year-old unmarried daughter is five months pregnant. And you thought John Edwards was in trouble before! Now he has really done it."

On Oct. 10, O'Brien, then host of "Late Night," quipped: "Sarah Palin is going to drop the first puck at the Philadelphia Flyers hockey game. Then Palin will spend the rest of the game trying to keep the hockey players out of her daughter's penalty box."

While the pregnant-daughter theme was most common on late-night shows during the fall campaign, it has never fully disappeared. And Letterman told far fewer of these jokes than some of his late-night brethren.

The comedian most likely to bash Bristol Palin? O'Brien, with 20 jokes at her expense.

"Saturday Night Live" has also parodied the Palin family in questionable ways. In a skit last September, a mock reporter joked about incest in the vice presidential candidate's family, saying, "I mean, come on. It's Alaska!"

Palin not only didn't protest, she appeared as a guest on the program a few weeks later.

Even if his anti-Palin jokes have been less numerous than others', Letterman may be a more polarizing figure than other late-night comics -- and thus a ripe target for Palin, says S. Robert Lichter, the CMPA's director. "He's everything that Palin is not. He's urban, he's ironic. More importantly, he's everything that Sarah Palin's supporters aren't. He's becoming the Dan Rather of political comedians."​

Excellent post Shaman...I've laughed my way through this topic, and I just have to shake my head at the 'selective memory' that some of the hysteria crowd love to squawk about!!! All of your information / quotes are out there the 'hysteria crowd' just doesn't want/nor do they desire to seek the 'FACTS'...anything made up and repeated is often swallowed as the TRUTH!!! But her {Sara Palin's} over reaction has just continued to keep her in the center of the media eye and she'll pull what ever string/cord/chain that she deems fit to keep her name bouncing off of the hysteria wailing walls! :rolleyes:

A-Rod dated Madonna? I am not even sure who he is. Does he dye is hair a differnt color before every game? No one insinuated he dressed slutty or that he was a whore. Its sad but the more girls a men have sex with the more of a man he thinks he is. the more men a girl has sex with the more of a slut she is. the joke would not hurt a man like it would a woman.

I am very disapointed in your wife her sister and NOW, they did not stand up to the sexist treatment Hillary took, or Sarah or Miss California. The judge called her a B!ctch and NOW had nothing to say about it. I have no respect for a group like that.

You've never heard of A-Rod (Alex Rodriguez) plays third base for the Yankees??? Rumored to have been one of the reasons for Madonna's divorce???

And yes that WAS part of the JOKE:D... A-Rod being a loose playboy that dates everybody. See that part flew right over your head>>>>>>>>

As far as sexual partners my daughters were both brought up as their mom was. Believing in your own self worth, thinking for yourself and not letting anyone take advantage of you. That's how intelligent independent women think and what an organization like NOW works to help instill in young women.

As far as political figures both my wife and her sister (the former NOW Illinois State Chapter President) they both originally started out supporting Hillary Clinton... as did I in the earliest stages. I switched to Obama fairly early, right after Iowa... my wife by the middle of the primaries after we went to our first Obama rally. My wife's sister supported Hillary all the way until the end of the primaries. Then she as well as the NOW organization in total supported Obama fully in the general election... and for good reason.

And things went very well for us all there...
;)

Werbung:
You've never heard of A-Rod (Alex Rodriguez) plays third base for the Yankees??? Rumored to have been one of the reasons for Madonna's divorce???

And yes that WAS part of the JOKE:D... A-Rod being a loose playboy that dates everybody. See that part flew right over your head>>>>>>>>

As far as sexual partners my daughters were both brought up as their mom was. Believing in your own self worth, thinking for yourself and not letting anyone take advantage of you. That's how intelligent independent women think and what an organization like NOW works to help instill in young women.

As far as political figures both my wife and her sister (the former NOW Illinois State Chapter President) they both originally started out supporting Hillary Clinton... as did I in the earliest stages. I switched to Obama fairly early, right after Iowa... my wife by the middle of the primaries after we went to our first Obama rally. My wife's sister supported Hillary all the way until the end of the primaries. Then she supported Obama fully in the general election.

And things went very well for us all there...
;)

I don’t have a problem with them supporting obama, but if they are really interested in women not being treated in a sexist way they should have been speaking up for Hillary as a person as a woman even if they were not planning to vote for her. They should be speaking up for Sarah Palin too even if they don’t like her politics.

You should know that I do not agree at all with Hillary in her politics, but I was constantly defending her through out the primaries. Not because I liked her or because I believed in her or even because I hated obama more (and I did and do) but because she was not being treated the same as everyone else, there were too many sexist things said about her and very few women’s groups spoke up.

I guess I think everyone plays foot ball but it was a base ball game the stuff started at right

If he is known for sleeping around I suppose a joke isn’t so hurtful. But the Palin daughter was not known for sleeping around. She was known for sleeping with her boyfriend.

I think its fine to let it go, and I do hope letterman does not get fired but when someone treats a woman sexist we should all stand up for her if we like her politics or not and we should all stand up when peoples kids are attacked even if we don’t like the person who’s kids are being attacked. I suppose if the kids are grown up like McCain’s daughter or the Bush daughters or the Clinton daughters and they are going on news programs saying things, those things can be made fun of but they are putting their self out there. But cant we just keep kids out of it, even the obama kids.

Back