Democrats and Republicans

tater03

I cannot help but wonder with all the infighting that goes on how in the world they will get anything done. I get so tired about hearing well so and so is far left or so and so is far right. It just seems like there is no middle at all anymore. I understand that you need two sides and how it all works but it just seems like noone ever wants to meet in the middle anymore and try to get something accomplished. Just needed to vent for a minute.

Werbung:
It's the state of democracy now, which is no longer functional. I'm not even sure whether the original ideal requires any kind of diametric opposition whatsoever, so much as the opportunity for free exchange of ideas between like and not-so-likeminded people.

For a really long rant on this, the front page article "This Magnet only gets Stronger" was all about it.

Politics in the US have always been this decisive (to borrow a word that seems popular today). In the 1850's, Senators and Representatives use to call each other names on the floor and in public. Some would just make up things to say about their opponent (I guess that still happens).

Before that, there were duels when different "statesmen" felt their honor had been slighted.

Andy, perhaps "divisive" was the word you were looking for.

Whilst the behavior as a reflection of 'human nature' remains fairly constant, I'm thinking that the trends we are seeing have a greater (in scope, not just magnitude) significance when compared to trends about 3-4 decades ago. Tendencies to vote against party lines is a telling example- one I cite in the aforementioned article in my first post on this thread.

Okay, Dong, I have a question for you. You live in Australia, are you originally from the States and that's why you're so interested in our political system, er . . . supposed political system? Or do you just like to see us "yanks" in a quandry over things that are going on? You seen pretty well versed in US politics.

Yes dong, I am sorry to say that spelling is really not one of my strong subjects.

As far as voting against party lines, I think my Grandparents (the WWII generation) really didn't care who was running, they only looked for the D or the R by the name. That was pretty common then. I here more people talking today about whether or not they should vote for a third party than I suspect our "Greatest Generation" ever thought of.

Yes, I understand about how people feel the need to vote along party lines. But what about if a Democrat has a really good idea or vice versa and the other party just votes it down because they are the other party. Don't you think think that they should vote on whats best for the people and not just who came up with the idea.

Okay, Dong, I have a question for you. You live in Australia, are you originally from the States and that's why you're so interested in our political system, er . . . supposed political system? Or do you just like to see us "yanks" in a quandry over things that are going on? You seen pretty well versed in US politics.

Haha, well...yes, and no, and yes and no. I've lived in Australia all my life, although I suspect that my career will be dictating where I live and not so much vice-versa in future. I'm exposed to US political happenings on a regular basis as a fair bit of it finds its way all over the world media. I'm interested in the US political happenings because of its relavance to the international political situation, as well as the parallels to Australian politics.

I really don't know all that much- just the general gists. And I keep my eyes open.

You sure are right about it being all over the news everywhere. You do have a right especially in this day and age to have to know what's going on because it sure seems to effect the whole world anymore.

A lot of things are no longer what were once envisioned for this country. Remember in back to US History, when you learned about the Revolution, and how we thought we were so much superior to England because we had the perfect Government--our impoverished weren't much less fortunate than the well-off, there was no bureaucracy, we had no 'nobles' or 'royalty', and more importantly, we were an idealistic society. Philosophy and Politics were important to a majority of the citizens, and nowadays, this kind of stuff matters to a very small minority. Topics like this always make me pity the human race--we have 2,000 years of philosophy, reason, technology, and advancement as a civilization, and we STILL can't figure out how to get along, enjoy life, and solve the many problems that we face as HUMANS, not a particular country. I remember hearing an audio clip years ago, were a clearly narcissistic individual saying that the human race is unfit to inhabit the Earth, and when I heard it, I figured it was some depressed individual with a skewed view of the human race, but as the weeks go by, I slowly agree with him.

I agree with the above poster when he says why can't we figure out how to get along. That would be the first step if you ask me to solving a lot of the problems.

I've never heard that statement, George. But, you do have to wonder if possibly the person wasn't onto something. However, what's the alternative? I don't think killing everyone and starting over is an option. It's been tried before. ;)

I really resent being called a monkey. We may have similar genes, but our genes are just as close to a pig as a monkey. Please. Of course, I don't want to be called a pig, either.

Werbung:
I've never heard that statement, George. But, you do have to wonder if possibly the person wasn't onto something. However, what's the alternative? I don't think killing everyone and starting over is an option. It's been tried before. ;)

The alternative has to start with a grassroots movement to instill a philosophical revolution upon the masses of the world. Once people take a hard look [which they probably have never done a single time in their lifespan] at what they are doing in their life, and how they can work for the better good of humanity.

Back