Deterring deer and throwing darts

samsara15

I feed birds. Deer are becoming sich a nuisance in my yard that I am desperately seeking a way to chase them off. We live in an urban area, so therefore shooting them with a gun is not an option. The deer begin moving away when I get within a few yards of them. Has anyone tried using a spear or heavy metal throwing darts to deter deer? If so, what has your experienc e been? Does it work? Does anyone have any other ideas? If I can't get rid of the deer, I will be forced to stop feeding birds.

Werbung:
I feed birds. Deer are becoming sich a nuisance in my yard that I am desperately seeking a way to chase them off. We live in an urban area, so therefore shooting them with a gun is not an option. The deer begin moving away when I get within a few yards of them. Has anyone tried using a spear or heavy metal throwing darts to deter deer? If so, what has your experienc e been? Does it work? Does anyone have any other ideas? If I can't get rid of the deer, I will be forced to stop feeding birds.

Can you get close enough to pepper spray them... about 20/25 feet? Or maybe a BB or pellet gun if you need more range.

Black Pepper, Cayenne Pepper, Red Pepper, Jalapeño Pepper spray, Pepper Oil...it's the only way that I can keep the squirrels out of those feeders just set aside for the birds and keep them on the feeder for them...it only takes the one time for the newbie squirrels to learn...and it is funny to watch them react to the pepper additive!!!

It works on both pests: DEER & SQUIRRELS...my father used cans of pepper spray: get a knee high nylon stocking and fill it with some kind of foam thing/particles/packing peanuts and stuff them into a knee high hose tie off the ends and then take them some place out of the wind {or make sure that you have the wind at your back} put protective eye goggles on, a medical mask over your nose & mouth and spray the B-GEEZERS onto that stocking mixture {do as many at one time as you can hold onto} and hang them around the trees, bushes in a random area around your house and the deer will get one good whiff of that obnoxious aroma and avoid your area and go eat next door...LOL

How are you with a 'sling shot'...now that is something that you could do sitting down, and only get better with time...you could design your own nail spiked balls to shot at them too! ;)

I think ASPCA might have something there. A Wrist Rocket sling shot... even just with marbles would sting 'em and spook 'em off.

Or my new personal favorite that I just now thought of... PAINTBALL GUN!:D

You could scare 'em off and decorate their wardrobe all at the same time.

Just don't end up like this...

Just thought of another one... but your neighbors might not like it much.

A compressed air air-horn. I know they sell them at boat shops and probably other places. Portable... it's like a can of Freon with a horn attachment on top of it.

Pull the trigger and it's ear splitting loud. Would spook a T-Rex.:D

Werbung:

There is little effect on deer using most of the methods listed so far. They are mostly nocturnal and even if frightened off, will return in the dark of the night to eat what attracted them in the first place. The only thing that really works is to eat them (reduce their numbers).

Spurred by complaints of people in Jackson, Michigan that deer were eating their flowers and shrubs adjacent to one of the city parks, "sharpshooters" were employed to reduce the population. An effective but stupid solution. If they had sold special permits for a culling by bow hunters, they could have reduced the population of deer while at the same time making a little money for the city (instead of paying the sharpshooters), while not incurring the risk for discharging firearms within a populated area. Everyone would have been happy except the "bunny huggers."

Back