Did Jesus know he was going to die?

dahermit

It is usually accepted by Bible scholars and believers that Jesus Knew that he was going to die on the cross for sometime before it actually happened. In fact, believers often state that his dying was part of God's plan and Jesus, being the son of God, was well aware that he was going to be crucified. There are statements in the Bible that support that he was aware of his fate, about the time he entered the city and the people strew palm fronds about his feet (Palm Sunday celebration).
If he knew what was in store for him, why did he say: "My father why hast thou forsaken me?" He knew what the plan was, he knew that it would be painfully. It lacks logical sense. If he was in pain that he could not bear, he would have asked for the pain to stop. If he could perform miracles, stopping pain should have been easy.
The more logical answer is: He thought he was a deity, but was not. The accounts of his knowing that he was going to die are not true. Being "forsaken" is not a logical response from a deity who is in on the plan which was proceeding as planed, unless the "plan" were only in his mind.
Maybe "forsaken" is an error in translation?

Werbung:
You have been a tad inaccurate Dahermit.

Jesus was not actually the son of God, he was God in human form.

The story goes thus;

The part of God that is called the Holy Spirit created God's human body inside of a woman re: Mary, hence Mother of God.

The story goes thus;

The part of God that is called the Holy Spirit created God's human body inside of a woman re: Mary, hence Mother of God.

That is a catholic thought, about Mary being the mother of God. Mainstream Christians do not call her the mother of God but the mother of Jesus. Main stream christians do not worship mary like catholics do.

I am neither catholic or christian so I dont buy into the trinity at all, and I am in no way alone in that thinking.

No takers?

I'll bite. It is actually a good question

I just saw the post just now, I guess I over looked it when it first came out.

I have thought about it before and the closest to an explanation I can come up with is this.

It is said the sins of all mankind were placed on him, and there was a total absence of God at that time. I think it was this that made him feel forsaken.

You and I have no clue what a total absence of God feels like, If God were to tell me I am going to completely separate myself from you for a period of time and lets say I said ok I understand. I don’t think I could truly be prepared for that feeling.

I know there are atheists out there who say they don’t believe in God but saying it and knowing it are different. If they are having the presents of God in their lives unknowingly they would not know what the absence felt like.

That may not be a very good explanation but for right now it’s what I have. I admit full ignorance to the after life or what it would feel like to have the presents of God removed from me.

That is a catholic thought, about Mary being the mother of God. Mainstream Christians do not call her the mother of God but the mother of Jesus. Main stream christians do not worship mary like catholics do.

I am neither catholic or christian so I dont buy into the trinity at all, and I am in no way alone in that thinking.

Hmmmmm.

It appears I have somehow, due to the nature of my posts, manifested myself as a Christian :)

I do not attend any church services, or practice any religion, mainstream or other.

I neither believe, nor disbelieve.

Hmmmmm.

It appears I have somehow, due to the nature of my posts, manifested myself as a Christian :)

I do not attend any church services, or practice any religion, mainstream or other.

I neither believe, nor disbelieve.

I just wanted to add to the post because it was making it look like catholics are the only types and they are one type, unlike most christians.

Did Jesus say that? No. It was the Catholic Church. If you believe this, then I suggest that you put your faith in the words of Constantine and Pope Gregory...not Jesus.
I have a question for you: What do you think Jesus would think of the rules and allowances, and statues of the Catholic Church in "His" name? Do you think he would approve?

I have thought about it before and the closest to an explanation I can come up with is this.

It is said the sins of all mankind were placed on him, and there was a total absence of God at that time. I think it was this that made him feel forsaken.

That may not be a very good explanation but for right now it’s what I have.
He did not express that he felt forsaken, he said: "...My father, why has thou forsaken me?" It specificaly questions why his father was forsaking him.

Before you guys hijack this thread, please read the original post and answer the original question.

The story goes thus;

This is not the intent of my post. Let us not get lost in semantics. Please answer the question embedded in the original post: Was Jesus a deity, or someone who thought he was the son of God?

He did not express that he felt forsaken, he said: "...My father, why has thou forsaken me?" It specificaly questions why his father was forsaking him.

of course he expressed that he felt it, why else would you say it

if you felt pain you say ouch

all we know from the text is he said a number of words, that was one of them

after this he said it is finished.

of course he expressed that he felt it, why else would you say it

if you felt pain you say ouch

all we know from the text is he said a number of words, that was one of them

after this he said it is finished.
This is what you consider an erudite answer to the question? Please...someone else, PLEASE!

"...You and I have no clue what a total absence of God feels like,..."
Speak only for yourself...you have no idea what I do or do not feel.
I might even be a demon (or someone who is controlled by a demon,) who knows full well what the absence of God feels like. If you are a believer in the bible, then you must believe that I could be a demon.

Bible Concordance / Dictionary:
demon—a powerful evil spirit that works for Satan. Demons can sometimes control people. But Jesus has power over demons. He can make them come out of people.

Mark 1:21-28
Mark 9:14-29
Acts 16:16-18
Ephesians 6:10-18

It is just as likely that I am a demon as it is that Jesus was a deity.

Werbung:
It is usually accepted by Bible scholars and believers that Jesus Knew that he was going to die on the cross for sometime before it actually happened. In fact, believers often state that his dying was part of God's plan and Jesus, being the son of God, was well aware that he was going to be crucified. There are statements in the Bible that support that he was aware of his fate, about the time he entered the city and the people strew palm fronds about his feet (Palm Sunday celebration).
If he knew what was in store for him, why did he say: "My father why hast thou forsaken me?" He knew what the plan was, he knew that it would be painfully. It lacks logical sense. If he was in pain that he could not bear, he would have asked for the pain to stop. If he could perform miracles, stopping pain should have been easy.
The more logical answer is: He thought he was a deity, but was not. The accounts of his knowing that he was going to die are not true. Being "forsaken" is not a logical response from a deity who is in on the plan which was proceeding as planed, unless the "plan" were only in his mind.
Maybe "forsaken" is an error in translation?

Yes he knew He was gong to die. Which is why He refers to Himself as the lamb that was going to be sacrificed.

And the reason he says: "why hast thou forsaken me" is because he was quoting the first line of Psalm 22 which is a song about how God does not forsake. The Psalm poetically starts with one mood and gradually shifts to another.
Psalm 22

1 My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?
Why are you so far from saving me,
so far from the words of my groaning?

[]

17 I can count all my bones;
people stare and gloat over me.

18 They divide my garments among them
and cast lots for my clothing.

[]

20 Deliver my life from the sword,
my precious life from the power of the dogs.

[]

24 For he has not despised or disdained
the suffering of the afflicted one;
he has not hidden his face from him
but has listened to his cry for help.

[]

27 All the ends of the earth
will remember and turn to the LORD,
and all the families of the nations
will bow down before him,

28 for dominion belongs to the LORD
and he rules over the nations.

29 All the rich of the earth will feast and worship;
all who go down to the dust will kneel before him—
those who cannot keep themselves alive.

[]

31 They will proclaim his righteousness
to a people yet unborn—
for he has done it.

Note also that His last words on the cross were Aramaic for "it is finished" and the last words of the Psalm are Hebrew for "He has done it." Perhaps if translation were not such a tricky business these two statements that reconcile pretty well would reconcile even better.

Back