Do you have what it takes?

GenSeneca

How well do you know other HOP members? In debate class, you are expected to know enough about a subject to make a convincing argument for an opposing side. This of course requires that you actually grasp more than one side of an issue. Do you have what it takes?

Challenge: This is a role reversal game. Quote anyone who posts on this thread and do a little "rant", on whatever subject, as you believe they would write about it. For example, quoting me and giving a "rant" that I could read and say..."yeah, that does sound like something I'd say."

Rules:

1. "Rant" only as people who post on this thread. This is a voluntary game, so please do not rant as someone who has not chosen to participate. If you want to participate, just post in the thread, you don't have to rant as anyone to let others try their hand at ranting as you.

2. This is NOT a flame thread. Prove you're as intelligent as you think you are, and you will be a winner! Be a flaming, flamer, who flames, and you'll go down in 'em!

How to Score: Each of us can Give points, and each of us can Take points - but only from those who are ranting as us.

Giving a point: If someone rants as you, and you think they nailed it... quote their scoring "rant" and give them a point for it.

Taking a point: If someone rants as you, and you think they failed it... quote the losing rant and give them an epic fail.

Penalty: Flaming a Flamer will cause you to lose a point! The epic fail is all the burn they need.
---------------------
Let the games begin!

Werbung:
So anyone can issue a "good" but inly the subject of the offering can issue a "bad" ?
Only the subject can award or deduct points. Since you have posted in the thread, I'll quote you as an example.

Dog on immigration: "We should secure our borders, that way we know who is entering our country and why. Immigration laws have become way to laxed, and we don't know anything about those who enter illegally. While not all illegals pose a health or crime threat, some do, and that's the purpose of immigration laws, to keep such people out."

That's something I think you might actually say... Now, just for the sake of example, here's a bad one... written as though I do not understand your position, because I do not agree with it, and therefore tend to mis-characterize your position as a stereotype.

Dog on immigration: "We republicans hate mexicans and all non-whites, so that's why I support building a wall between the US and Mexico. White Power!"

Others may comment, but only the target, in this case you, can award me, or deduct, points based on what I've written about your position on the subject. You don't have to award or deduct points. Maybe I got close but didn't nail it, that's just a scoreless attempt. The only way to fail, is to completely fail to comprehend your position on a subject, for that you should deduct points.

Only the subject can award or deduct points. Since you have posted in the thread, I'll quote you as an example.

Dog on immigration: "We should secure our borders, that way we know who is entering our country and why. Immigration laws have become way to laxed, and we don't know anything about those who enter illegally. While not all illegals pose a health or crime threat, some do, and that's the purpose of immigration laws, to keep such people out."

That's something I think you might actually say... Now, just for the sake of example, here's a bad one... written as though I do not understand your position, because I do not agree with it, and therefore tend to mis-characterize your position as a stereotype.

Dog on immigration: "We republicans hate mexicans and all non-whites, so that's why I support building a wall between the US and Mexico. White Power!"

Others may comment, but only the target, in this case you, can award me, or deduct, points based on what I've written about your position on the subject. You don't have to award or deduct points. Maybe I got close but didn't nail it, that's just a scoreless attempt. The only way to fail, is to completely fail to comprehend your position on a subject, for that you should deduct points.
Thanks, that addresses my confusion.

I shall assess you a "close but no cigar". Yes its true that we need to know where they came from, their background and health status but we have perfectly good laws if only they would be enforced..

I shall assess you a "close but no cigar". Yes its true that we need to know where they came from, their background and health status but we have perfectly good laws if only they would be enforced..
I think this is a good exercise... You and I haven't discussed immigration for quite some time, so I'm not surprised I was a little off... But I'll nail this one!

Dog on Haters:

Daleks_gonna_exterminate_.jpg

Frankly, I'm appalled that you even suggest such a thread, since the whole premise of this site is to do exactly what you propose ... you stole somebody's good idea, and are trying to make it your own, thus trying to establish your power, and your superiority over those who post.

If you have a subject you wish to debate, post it in a thread ... but don't try to use us, and this forum, to feed your ever so immense ego.

Frankly, I'm appalled that you even suggest such a thread, since the whole premise of this site is to do exactly what you propose ...
What I've proposed is a way to understand differing opinions without arguing against the people who hold them. That's kinda the opposite of what the rest of the site is about.

you stole somebody's good idea, and are trying to make it your own, thus trying to establish your power, and your superiority over those who post.
I hereby give Walter 100% credit for the idea... Or whoever you believe credit should go to... they can also have any power or feelings of superiority as well.

Still against participating in what you did call a good idea?

Dog has posted, quote him, see how well you know his position on a subject.

If you have a subject you wish to debate, post it in a thread ... but don't try to use us, and this forum, to feed your ever so immense ego.
I enjoy the diversity of thoughts, opinions, and beliefs that people have. The fact that opposing views exist does not anger me, or frighten me, it interests me. I wish to learn about them, and understand how people arrive at their conclusions, but reading pages of people exchanging nothing but logical fallacies, in what they call a "debate", provides no insight.

What I've proposed is a way to understand differing opinions without arguing against the people who hold them. That's kinda the opposite of what the rest of the site is about.

I hereby give Walter 100% credit for the idea... Or whoever you believe credit should go to... they can also have any power or feelings of superiority as well.

Still against participating in what you did call a good idea?

Dog has posted, quote him, see how well you know his position on a subject.

I enjoy the diversity of thoughts, opinions, and beliefs that people have. The fact that opposing views exist does not anger me, or frighten me, it interests me. I wish to learn about them, and understand how people arrive at their conclusions, but reading pages of people exchanging nothing but logical fallacies, in what they call a "debate", provides no insight.

No ... it WAS a good idea ... until you perverted it.

I do notice, however, what GREAT response you're getting .... not.

I shall attempt to project what gen seneca might have to say about free markets.

Gen Seneca: And by "free" I am not referring to what today is.considered free but rather true free market.
Manipulating markets necessarily involves favoring one entity over another which directly contradicts "equal protection inder the law". And how are winners and losers selected ? Bribery, extortian or both. So not only is it unconstitution for the government to manipulate markeys its immoral as well.
I hope I passed the audition at least in concept if not in prose. : )

Id like to see as I havent a clue otherwise. GB if you dont wish to take part then dont take part.

My point was very simple ...

The whole concept of this site was to provide a platform where people can express their opinions in a free, and uninhibited, manner.

This thread proposes that we have a singular platform where "people can express their opinions in a free, and uninhibited, manner", as long as GenSeneca allows it, but do it in a manner that denigrates the opinion of the opposition. He will be the arbiter of what is right, and what is wrong, and he will be the dictator of style and content.

If I wanted to play kids' games, I would go to the Sesame Street site .. so, you're right ... I don't wish to take part, and won't. Presumably, I was mistaken ... we aren't all adults here.

Werbung:
My point was very simple ...

The whole concept of this site was to provide a platform where people can express their opinions in a free, and uninhibited, manner.

This thread proposes that we have a singular platform where "people can express their opinions in a free, and uninhibited, manner", as long as GenSeneca allows it, but do it in a manner that denigrates the opinion of the opposition. He will be the arbiter of what is right, and what is wrong, and he will be the dictator of style and content.

If I wanted to play kids' games, I would go to the Sesame Street site .. so, you're right ... I don't wish to take part, and won't. Presumably, I was mistaken ... we aren't all adults here.
One thread across all forums offering an exersize in seeing how well one understands the thinking of another is no threat to the board or any opportunities for its use.
Yes I do believe you are mistaken but about the concept of this thread and its particulars.

Back