1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Discuss politics - join our community by registering for free here! HOP - the political discussion forum

Do you think we should have a Dept. of Peace?

Discussion in 'Polls' started by roomfullofflowers, Jul 19, 2008.

?

U.S. Department of Peace?

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  1. roomfullofflowers

roomfullofflowers New Member

I was wondering what everyone thinks about the movement to have a federal Department of Peace? I first heard about this idea on an episode about Activism for Change on The Joan Kenley Show (great podcast!). Then I was in my home town for a visit (progressive activist locale of Ithaca, NY) and saw petitions for the same concept. Do you think we need a department to address issues of peace like reducing gang violence, defense spending, and coming to peace in the middle east? Should we have a Department of Peace?

2. Libsmasher

Libsmasher New Member

Ya! :D And how about a Department of Niceness - that would work, wouldn't it? :rolleyes:

3. GenSeneca

GenSeneca Well-Known Member

What does the dept of Transportation actually transport? Nothing...

How many kids does the Dept. of Education actually educate? None...

How much "peace" would the Dept. of Peace bring about? Who cares, its a nice name so lets spend more money - we don't have - on programs that don't accomplish anything but make us feel good to know exist.

4. Federal Farmer

Federal Farmer New Member

A Department of "Peace"?

NOT NO, BUT HELL NO! With over 200 federal agencies and departments that already aren't covered by the Constitution, the LAST thing we need is another one!

If anything, we need to GUT the federal government of EVERY department and agency that isn't specifically covered by the Constitution, and THEN, if We The People decide that we "really" need it, then force Congress to propose a Constitutional Amendment to cover them, and see if they can get it through to ratification.

5. roomfullofflowers

roomfullofflowers New Member

I also think that even if we had such a thing it would be co-opted by the military industrial complex. So often the efforts of progressive idealists end up in the hands of the... more organized. That lady on The Joan Kenley Show made it sound like such a good idea though... maybe a better idea for internal affairs? Maybe just better as an idea?