1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Discuss politics - join our community by registering for free here! HOP - the political discussion forum

Does anyone even care?

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by PLC1, Feb 2, 2008.

1. PLC1

PLC1 Moderator Staff Member

The Melting Point

We humans reap what we sow. There is little chance that we will make any real consequential changes to our way of treating this delicate blue and green world on which we all depend.

OK, class, that's it. Resume pointing fingers, running in circles, and denying plain facts.

2. Bunz

Bunz New Member

OK Ill put aside getting into a global warming thing here for the time being.

A. There is nothing that bothers me more than going for a wilderness experience and coming accross someone else's trash. That being said, by nature of where I live, I can ensure that experience by going to places that havent been explored, or at least have zero development.
    But when people participate in vacations that involve tours and being told when you need to no longer visit a natural wonder, why bother?

I see this all the time, the elderly tourists I can somewhat understand. But if you are under 65, please make the most of your trip and avoid tours.

3. WileE

WileE New Member

Yup

Nothing more irritating than walking on a nice hiking trail, and seeing a plastic water bottle lying on the ground.

That goes to show you don't know much about us old geezers.:)

4. Richard Savage

Richard Savage Member

What I find difficult to understand is how anyone cannot be concerned about the environment. Is it not in our own self-interest to see that we do not pollute the air and water - the very elements upon which all life depends - and preserve the land and sea that provides for our existence? Can there be anything more important? And, what about the future? - Can we be so selfish as not to be concerned about the quality of life of our own children and grandchildren? What will be their inheritance? Will they see us as good stewards of that which we only hold in trust? - Or will they curse us for wasting their birthright? Can we be so short-sighted as not to foresee the consequences of our actions - or so callous as not to care? Apparently so.

5. r0beph

r0beph New Member

Well see.. the logic is quite simple (and LOGICAL) since global warming is a sham, we can do whatever we want without regard, since global warming is the only problem the earth faces from our pollution...

6. PLC1

Yes, very logical. If there's a problem you don't want to address, simply pretend it doesn't exist and it might just go away. Simple.

7. Here We Go

Here We Go New Member

I wonder if the high gasoline prices will cut down on the air pollution. I've noticed there are not as many cars going down my street lately. We could hear drag racing on State Line at night on weekends, but none now. Guess kids can't afford the gas anymore because anytime you hit the passing gear . . . buh bye $5.00! [​IMG]

8. Mare Tranquillity

Mare Tranquillity Active Member

People as a group won't read the handwriting on the wall until their backs are against it. I don't know how to wake them from their drugged sleep.

9. Mare Tranquillity

Of course we can, look around you. Billions for idiotic wars, a pittance for finding solutions to our problems.

10. revolution4PAUL

revolution4PAUL New Member

11. PLC1

Oh, yes, what a great vid.

Why listen to those old geeky scientists with all their PhDs, when you can listen to a neat video instead?

Conclusions, as explained by scientists in actual, peer reviewed works are as follows:

The average temperature of the Earth is warming. That warming is causing climate changes.

We don't fully understand just what those changes might bring, but we can make some educated guesses and gather data to see how good our guesses are.

It is extremely likely that human activities are accelerating those changes.

Hype on one side (all wrong, we hope):

It's a man made disaster and will bring about devastation unless we quit burning fossil fuels.

Hype on the other side (we know for sure):

It is simply a hoax and a myth.

I'll go with the scientists, despite their nerdiness.

12. Mare Tranquillity

You are one of the reasons that I am not voting for Ron Paul, if you belived that the melting point of water has gone down, then you can't be smart enough to tell me who to vote for.

13. mr universe

mr universe New Member

14. Libsmasher

Libsmasher New Member