Does extra police on the street make it safer?

Alexia

In the UK there are now extra armed police on the streets of London in response to the attacks across Europe, but is this enough? Does it make people feel safer? Maybe Paris needs more police on their streets.

I feel that with the amount of tourists the London has it is necessary, but what more can be done? I'm happy to stay at home away from it all to be honest for the time being.

Werbung:
In the UK there are now extra armed police on the streets of London in response to the attacks across Europe, but is this enough? Does it make people feel safer? Maybe Paris needs more police on their streets.

I feel that with the amount of tourists the London has it is necessary, but what more can be done? I'm happy to stay at home away from it all to be honest for the time being.
It depends on what you want to be safe from.
If it's gangs who live there, yes it can. If it's terrorists who don't mind dying, not unless you're lucky.

I don't agree that it makes the streets safer, it just means to me that there will be more bullets flying when the next attack happens.

If that's the case, the we should have 4 cops at every intersection with bazookas, and maybe this would keep anyone from thinking that they are going to do a mass killing without getting stopped by the local authorities.

The lack of army gear is not what kept this attack from happening, corruption is why it happened, and until we do something about it, attacks will continue to occur, and sure just blame it on a specific religion, or nationality, don't ever assume it could be your own government behind it because it would be unlike your nationality if you did.

Generally, I think more of a police presence would make any area safer (maybe as long as the police aren't corrupt.) In the States, there is also the problem of police who won't get out of their cars anymore. Proactive policing is one thing that really helps keeps crime down, and has the chance of catching the type of bad guys who are willing to die for a cause.

Scotland Yard haven't released how many of these armed police will be on the streets, but they do have a rapid response team too. I think this is to show potential terrorists that they are prepared, but having lived in London for a long time, I feel the capital has always been alert.

I'm not so sure about other major cities though, and hopefully they will have some plans too.

Armed Polices will at least make the police safer. Before we had armed police a traffic policeman was shot in the heart of Melbourne, This would not happen today but you could be killed in the cross fire as happen in the Sydney siege.

I think the stepped up presence of the police on the streets is always going to be beneficial. It serves as a deterrant to would-be trouble causers and also serves to increase the peace of mind of the residents.

No I don't think so.
The Police presence will help in a way, however not all UK police carry sidearms.
If a terrorist attacks happens the police officers would fire to save lives and instantly be labelled 'murderers' and be reported to the IPCC.

A lot is going to depend on what the armed police are up against. They could put armed soldiers on the streets but that wouldn't make the UK any safer than what it is now against terrorism because as we have already seen in other countries, if they are willing to die for their cause then a gun isn't going to stop them.

In my opinion all police in the UK should carry firearms, and while it might not sit well with everyone, I do think that society is getting that bad that there's more reasons to do it than not to. That's not for the terrorists, that's just for the criminals and gangs that we are seeing an increase of more than any other reason.

Werbung:
A lot is going to depend on what the armed police are up against. They could put armed soldiers on the streets but that wouldn't make the UK any safer than what it is now against terrorism because as we have already seen in other countries, if they are willing to die for their cause then a gun isn't going to stop them.

In my opinion all police in the UK should carry firearms, and while it might not sit well with everyone, I do think that society is getting that bad that there's more reasons to do it than not to. That's not for the terrorists, that's just for the criminals and gangs that we are seeing an increase of more than any other reason.
Agreed.
The problem is with the UK is that when there is an event that requires the police to act; they immediately have to refer themselves to the IPCC (Independent Police Complaints Comission) - especially if they are involved in a shoot out - our police service is a joke and criminals know it.

Back