Education: Public Vs Private?!

School work needs to be interesting.
Schools need to take kids as they get them.
Schools need to be easy for parents to visit.
Schools need to keep parents well informed of what is happening in class, but be prepared to have parents who are not involved or even interested and NOT hold that against the kids.
Schools need to challenge every kid, appropriate for that child.
Schools need to drop tracking and pre-judging what kids are capable of.
But how do we get schools to do this?
they are awesome suggestions, but I don't see the public school system implementing them anytime soon.

Werbung:
In Europe, the money follows the kid. Let's say the tax money is $17,000 per child. Where ever the parent chooses to send that child (private, public, religious) the money goes with the child. If forces schools to compete for their students. The best schools get the kids - and the money.

How can all of those suggestions possible be implemented. Believe me, as a public school teacher, I can tell you advantages and disadvantages of public schools, but I am doing the best I can. I have classes this year of over 30 students times 5 different classes a day. Even with the best of intentions, I could never challenge EVERY student.

The other thing I want to say is that public schools must be maintained. They are the only thing that attempts to equalize all students. If private schools and vouchers are implemented, some of the schools in poorer areas will become simply dumping grounds for the "less desirable" kids. Education should be democratic and equalize the masses as much as possible.

In Europe, the money follows the kid. Let's say the tax money is $17,000 per child. Where ever the parent chooses to send that child (private, public, religious) the money goes with the child. If forces schools to compete for their students. The best schools get the kids - and the money.

The problem is that certain groups hate the idea of competing in the education arena. They hate the private sector and they don't want to see the public sector move in that direction.

The problem is that certain groups hate the idea of competing in the education arena. They hate the private sector and they don't want to see the public sector move in that direction.
Therein lies the problem.

It would be the perfect solution, though. Private schools would adjust their tuition (although they probably wouldn't have to adjust much because of the amount of money we pour into the system per kid) and parents could choose any school they wanted to send their children. If the kids wanted to study the arts, they could go to an arts school. If it was science they wanted, then it would be a science school for them. Competition is the only thing that will help our schools. And if the bad schools fail, so be it.

There's a rerun on ABC right now that is talking about this very issue.

Education is not business though. I don't like all these comparisons to the business mentality on this message board. Education is also not about competition.

Yes it is. The best schools get the best students who then get the best offers to the best colleges and universities.

I haven't had time to read thru all the comments. But all i can say about this is i remember when i was in school. I went to a public school, but i can tell you the best parties and i'm not talking cake and ice cream were always thrown by kids that went to private school. Sorry but in our neighborhood the catholic girls school had the most loosest girls around. Sorry remember we were young, but you use to always hear if you want to score easily with a girl hook up with one from the local catholic school. I can only hope the that what their parents paid for them to go their, that they got a good education.

I've been to both Public and Private schools and I love private school education much much better with boarding. Its just amazing.

Public schools are already competing - tests, sports, etc - it's just not benefiting the students. Let's try something radical and help the ones the program is actually for.

But the question is how do you implement a program that will actually benefit the kids? That seems to be where everything gets hung up, because it somehow turns from helping the students to helping the faculty. We need to stop that.

Werbung:
But the question is how do you implement a program that will actually benefit the kids? That seems to be where everything gets hung up, because it somehow turns from helping the students to helping the faculty. We need to stop that.

You do this by allowing education to take a more capitalist form. Don't force consumers (parents and their children) to be forced to stay at the local school. Let them decide what education they want their children to have (catholic, muslim, secular, etc...).

Poor kids will not be forced to stay in the local school that is underfunded, because they live in a neighboorhood they can't excape. School vouchers will put outside pressure on schools to perform and please the parents. Without outside forces and the inability to switch schools, the unions run the school not the parents. By doing so, the unions have the say in what education your child gets.

Back