1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Discuss politics - join our community by registering for free here! HOP - the political discussion forum

Elderly driver plunges into pool

Discussion in 'U.S. Politics' started by Popeye, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Popeye

Popeye Active Member

Some of you might be wondering what this story has to do with politics....Just keep in mind that this elderly driver, mistaking the accelerator for the brakes, is 72 years old exactly the same age John McCain turns in August.

McCain, if elected, would become the oldest first term president in our nation's history. McCain doesn't know how to use a computer, it's questionable whether he can drive any better than this old lady and he's exhibited symptoms of senile dementia while on the campaign trail. I say it again, John McCain is way too old to be president.

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/localnews/ci_10003470

2. pocketfullofshells

pocketfullofshells Well-Known Member

land of 10,000 lakes and 2 senators again
    and If I post a story about a guy who was the same name as Obama doing something...I'm sure that will be just as Relevant.

lame ass thread

3. Popeye

Popeye Active Member

I have my doubts that you can find a story about someone with the same name as Obama (relations don't count). The point of the thread is McCain's advanced years which, like it or not, is an issue.

Those that would know best, the elderly have concerns, from a recent AP/Yahoo News Poll

As do many voters:

4. pocketfullofshells

I ment age not name

5. BigRob

BigRob Well-Known Member

My grandpa is 90, still goes to work daily and remembers pretty much everything. He is very smart. This story is not relevant at to anything, it only is if McCain drives himself into a pool.

Point 1) As President, John McCain will never have to touch a computer. His aides can inform him of anything he needs to look up.

Point 2) As President, John McCain will never drive himself anywhere.

6. Popeye

Popeye Active Member

I'm glad your grandfather is still doing well but surely you know that he is an exception. As a rule, humans, particularly males, lose some cognitive function as they grow older. To deny that is to deny the sky is blue.

The last I checked the life expectancy of the American male was right around 75. McCain's grandfather died at 61, his father at 70. He has had health issues which I need not go into. Whatever your politics you have to admit the odds of McCain surviving one term not to mention two are significantly decreased.

One more point, Ronald Reagan started his second term just short of his 74th birthday. During that second term it became obvious that he was suffering from what was later diagnosed as Alzheimers. Are you going to tell me we are not at a significant risk of a similar thing happening with McCain?

7. UShadItComing

UShadItComing New Member

Many werer very afraid that Bush2 was going to choose McCain in 2000 as his VP and were relieved when he chose Cheney. The reason was because McCain was too much of a hawk. Now the question becomes whether his oncoming senility is going to make him more cantankerous or less. For the pres of the US you people will be taking a hell of a chance on McCain being able to do something really stupid.

I just hope he knows the difference between Russia and Iran when he decides to send over some nukes.

8. pocketfullofshells