End of Patrick Buchanan

Libsmasher

This guy has tiptoed near the line of anti-semitism in the past. The lib media gave him some exposure because he was against the iraq war. Now he comes out with a book blaming Churchill for WWII:

http://www.amazon.com/Churchill-Hit...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1226393429&sr=1-1

Churchill was in fact the man who single-handedly saved western civilization, when the US was neutralist and the UK aristocracy favored making a deal with Herr Hitler.

Enough - he's crossed off my list of credible conservative voices for good.

Werbung:
This guy has tiptoed near the line of anti-semitism in the past.
"...tiptoed..."?????

That's an understatement......but, not to the folks who remember him from the original "Crossfire"....back when it was a great, 1-hour talk-show.

I remember, yeeeaaarrrs-ago, someone mentioning how The Buchanan-Brothers (I don't know how many there are) had a reputation, in their hometown of D.C., of gettin' roaring-drunk and searching-out Blacks...to kick-the-crap-outta-them.

Enough - he's crossed off my list of credible conservative voices for good.
He's as credible as Porky Limbaugh, when him bombast goes into overdrive. :rolleyes:

Without reading the book, I dont think it wise to pass judgement on the validity of his argument. Libsmasher, have you read the book?

While I will readily agree that Churchill is a very important and lasting figure, but to claim he single handedly saved western civilization is to far of a stretch to me. I dont think you can give any individual that much credit.

This guy has tiptoed near the line of anti-semitism in the past. QUOTE]

What do you mean? I have always liked him, even voted for him in 2000.

I have never heard him say anything anti jewish before, can you give some examples, the worst stuff you know about?

I am very very very very pro Israel and Pro Jewish so Im concerned now :(

This guy has tiptoed near the line of anti-semitism in the past. QUOTE]

What do you mean? I have always liked him, even voted for him in 2000.

I have never heard him say anything anti jewish before, can you give some examples, the worst stuff you know about?
Ya' never tried....either.....obviously...... :rolleyes:

"It's running down 70-year-old camp guards." -- Pat Buchanan, in The New York Times, discussing his attempts at closing down the US Justice Department's Office of Special Investigations (which was in charge of prosecuting Nazi war criminals) April 21, 1987

"At a White House meeting, Buchanan reportedly reminded Jewish leaders that they were "Americans first" -- and repeatedly scrawled the phrase "Succumbing to the pressure of the Jews" in his notebook. Buchanan was credited with crafting Ronald Reagan's line that the SS troops buried at Bitburg were "victims just as surely as the victims in the concentration camps."

"There's no doubt he makes subliminal appeals to prejudice," says conservative columnist Charles Krauthammer, one of the few members of the news media willing to speak out about Buchanan's bigotry. "He tries to be subtle, the comments are not direct appeals to prejudice, which is one of the reasons he gets away with it." But the subtle appeal, Krauthammer argues, "is very much heard by his audience."

Subtle, but not too subtle.

You knew who Buchanan was talking about, for example, during the week of the Iowa straw poll when he blamed the farm crisis on "New York bankers" and "the money boys up in New York."

He didn't say "money-grubbing kikes," but it was there, lurking in the subtext."

"Over the years, the record of this renegade Republican has been loaded with proclamations that have caused many of his fellow conservatives to shy away and even disown him. William Bennett, for one, has charged Buchanan with "flirting with fascism." During the 2000 Presidential primaries, candidate Alan Keyes accused Buchanan's advisors of appealing to racist and anti-Semitic voters. Both William Buckley, writing in the National Review, and New York Times columnist Bill Saffire have noted that Buchanan demonstrates hostility to Jews in his public statements."

buchanan-stormfront-lg.jpg

Without reading the book, I dont think it wise to pass judgement on the validity of his argument. Libsmasher, have you read the book?

While I will readily agree that Churchill is a very important and lasting figure, but to claim he single handedly saved western civilization is to far of a stretch to me. I dont think you can give any individual that much credit.

No, I didn't read the book, but read a review which covered his main arguments in NR. The main jist is that feelers were sent to Hitler after the fall of France as to what deal the nazis would make with Britain. The nazis replied that the UK should concede all of continental europe to the nazis including such powers as to redraw national boundaries, that the UK would not participate in the war further, and that the present government would leave. An appeasement government, probably under the pro-nazi Duke of Windsor ( the abdicated Edward VIII), would take over. In return, the UK would be unmolested AND keep their extensive empire.

The nazis thought they had offered a great deal, and were stunned when it was turned down by Churchill. Churchill, who always saw things as they were with great clarity during the war, realized that the nazis represented consummate evil, at a time when eg most americans looked at them as just another warring european power.

As for Churchill, I will debate his indispensable role any time.

I like pat, I liked his 2nd to last book, where the right went wrong. he makes good points and makes his points in a rational way, though I don't agree with him on social issues he at least is a true conservative unlike Bush and many of those these days who think they are.

I like pat, I liked his 2nd to last book, where the right went wrong. he makes good points and makes his points in a rational way, though I don't agree with him on social issues he at least is a true conservative unlike Bush and many of those these days who think they are.

As usual, you don't know what you're talking about - let conservatives define who a conservative is.

As usual, you don't know what you're talking about - let conservatives define who a conservative is.

pat was one of those people who defined it in the first place , the Regan era conservative movement. I am sorry if you cant see that, but I am also not surprised as you are just a ranter, no real ideology from you. And I was a conservative before, hence why I use to be republican.

pat was one of those people who defined it in the first place , the Regan era conservative movement. I am sorry if you cant see that, but I am also not surprised as you are just a ranter, no real ideology from you. And I was a conservative before, hence why I use to be republican.

As any real conservative will tell you, he is an embarassment. That the lib media repeatedly dragged him out and put him on show should be reason enough for most people to get it.

Liberals are what liberals do - same with everyone else, and Buchanan is wayyyyyyyy off what conservatives think.

Lib give me some examples ok? what did he say or do anti jewish and what do you mean he isnt conservative?

I remember he was against the war because he is an isolationist, I dont know that I agree with him about ignoring everyone else and doing my own thing. they just have time to get stronger that way

but what else about him is not conservative and also anti jewish

Werbung:
Liberals are what liberals do - same with everyone else, and Buchanan is wayyyyyyyy off what conservatives think.

So we should "let conservatives define who conservatives are" but "liberals are what liberals do." And I thought you hated double standards.

Back