Faith-Based Evolution?

Yea, I read your opening post... and you are right to some extent. But I don't like to demean people who have spiritual beliefs. Clearly the train of logic that you stated is flawed, but I know that some Christians believe in God for many different reasons that for the one you stated.

People who study evolution will tell you that religion evolved because a moral code or structure was necessary to facilitate trade among strangers. In another case, my father held a strong belief in God and Jesus and it gave him strength and comfort during some very difficult times in his life.

I do have trouble with the fundamentalist thinkers of any religion, ie, everything happened exactly like the Book says it did. This is particularly dangerous when fundamentalist thinkers start forcing other people to accept what they believe to be true. Religion is not an excuse for not thinking for yourself...nor is it an reason to think your religious beliefs are so "right on" that you feel you can impose them on other people.

Werbung:
You will notice that for most of the time 'civilised' humans have been on this planet the rulers have been either religious people or people claiming to be god's appointed one.

That is why religion was invented. To give wealth and power to those clever ebough to know how to exploit the superstitions and vulnerabilities of the masses.

I don't respect faith because it is so frequently used to stifle science, to discriminate aginst people and to impoverish them.

The world would be much better off without it.

Back