Fat America

VicSmith

What is wrong with this nation!?! It's like everyone is fat!

obesitystates.jpg

I even live in a light orange state and every time I go to the nearest Costco, I literally can't count five non-obese people! Something is seriously wrong with America's health!

Werbung:
Yes, if only government would step in to protect us from ourselves... if only government had the compassion necessary to limit our freedoms... if only government had the good sense to raise taxes on fattening foods, or ban them completely.

After all, that is the constitutional role of government...

picture.php

Here's to Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of happiness... as dictated to us by the Nanny State.

I read that the life span of our kids will probably be shorter than their parents because of obesity. It seems that kids would rather eat candy bars, play video games, watch TV, and text message, rather than exercise. The "fight or flight" tension and adrenaline rush while sitting down flipping a joy stick is going to lead to an early grave and a distorted sense of the real world.

As if cheeseburgers aren't fattening enough...

152gnb4.jpg

Now they have doughnut cheeseburgers.

I feel sick...

What is wrong with this nation!?! It's like everyone is fat!
I even live in a light orange state and every time I go to the nearest Costco, I literally can't count five non-obese people! Something is seriously wrong with America's health!
Things I have observed in my 65 year life-span. When I was a kid, only a few persons were obese in the population...it was a rarity. However, the diet was in many ways worse than it is now. All soft drinks, Jams and Jellies, contained sugar. Likewise, lard and butter were universally used in all cooking and baking. The name "carbohydrate" was not in use to describe things that would make a person fat, and eaten in abundance including ice cream. Hamburgers were not generally eaten in fast food places, but were frequently eaten in every mom and pop restaurant nevertheless.

The diet of my childhood should have cause there to be more over weight people than there were. Consider what my mother ate for lunch when she went to school: A large slab of home made white bread (made with lard), that was soaked in bacon grease to add flavor.

Nowadays, "healthier" alternatives are suggested to keep from becoming obese. Do not eat lard or butter, do not eat sugar but use fructose instead or drink artificially sweetened soft drinks. Limit carbohydrates, do not eat fast food hamburgers.

In short, despite suggested and supposedly positive changes in the American diet, we keep getting fatter suggesting that the often touted "causes" of overweight are not the cause at all. It would seem that instead of researching the problem, an assumption has been made and the remedy may be part of the problem.

Well... the "lard" in the butt actually comes more from the lead in the a$$ than from anything else. Way back then, people physically worked harder.

Well... the "lard" in the butt actually comes more from the lead in the a$$ than from anything else. Way back then, people physically worked harder.

This is a very true observation. When we were largely an agrarian society, there were often 3-square-meals a day. And they were very LARGE, hefty meals. But there was also:

1) Strenuous physical labor associated with day-to-day living, for many.
2) No steroids, antibiotics or other medicinal additives to the basic food chain.
3) No government "protecting" us, with bureaus like the FDA that approves additives to food as "natural" such as trans-fats and high fructose corn syrup.
4) Kids walked 5 miles in zero degree weather to school, up hill both ways. :))) Seriously, they had chores to do before school, after school, and no computers, I-Pods or video games.
5) After a hard days work, most people relaxed by sitting together, reading, playing a musical instrument, etc. And they then got a good nights sleep.

This is just a snapshot of a few things that have alterations of the very nature of our lifestyles in the modern world. Of course, this is overly-simplistic, and only meant to illustrate a significant overview of the problem.

It's not that the "good ole' days" were really good, but not necessarily so bad, either. We may not have had the advances in health care and increased longevity, but for many of us, we were healthier and happier.

Now excuse me - I've got to go chop some more wood before the Eagles-Viking game starts....

Way back when? When I was a kid (50's-60's) we did not work any harder than the kids today. Is this another one of those "facts" that are assumed and not researched to see if it is actually true?

Things I have observed in my 65 year life-span. When I was a kid, only a few persons were obese in the population...it was a rarity. However, the diet was in many ways worse than it is now. All soft drinks, Jams and Jellies, contained sugar. Likewise, lard and butter were universally used in all cooking and baking. The name "carbohydrate" was not in use to describe things that would make a person fat, and eaten in abundance including ice cream. Hamburgers were not generally eaten in fast food places, but were frequently eaten in every mom and pop restaurant nevertheless.

The diet of my childhood should have cause there to be more over weight people than there were. Consider what my mother ate for lunch when she went to school: A large slab of home made white bread (made with lard), that was soaked in bacon grease to add flavor.

Nowadays, "healthier" alternatives are suggested to keep from becoming obese. Do not eat lard or butter, do not eat sugar but use fructose instead or drink artificially sweetened soft drinks. Limit carbohydrates, do not eat fast food hamburgers.

In short, despite suggested and supposedly positive changes in the American diet, we keep getting fatter suggesting that the often touted "causes" of overweight are not the cause at all. It would seem that instead of researching the problem, an assumption has been made and the remedy may be part of the problem.

I agree. I don't think there is any particular food or type of food to blame.

We just like to eat tasty food and we don't like to exert ourselves. The gov can ban or tax any particular food or type of food that it wants but as long as there are tasty alternatives there will be fat people.

I have watched others diet for a long time and whatever fad comes along they eventually find a way to circumvent it. If they are not allowed to eat anything with wheat flour in it for a time they will lose weight until they discover that they can eat plenty of things made with rice flour or soy flour or ... basically anything that taste good.

People just need to stop eating even if the stuff is tasty.

Yes, if only government would step in to protect us from ourselves... if only government had the compassion necessary to limit our freedoms... if only government had the good sense to

or ban them completely

I didn't read your links but I suppose you are referring to the NY tax on regular soda which the proponents of the tax are predicting won't work but it will raise revenue.

And as I just said as long as there are tasty alternatives people will eat somthing to make themseves fat. Will the gov ban everything that taste good? Well as long as they can make money doing it they will.

This is a very true observation. When we were largely an agrarian society, there were often 3-square-meals a day. And they were very LARGE, hefty meals. But there was also:

1) Strenuous physical labor associated with day-to-day living, for many.
The kids that I went to school with were not from an agrarian society, they were "townies". They did not have to do: "...Strenuous physical labor associated with day-to-day living..."

2) No steroids, antibiotics or other medicinal additives to the basic food chain.
Most likely true...are you saying that:"...steroids, antibiotics or other medicinal additives to the basic food chain...", are a causation factor related to obesity?

3) No government "protecting" us, with bureaus like the FDA that approves additives to food as "natural" such as trans-fats and high fructose corn syrup.
FDA predates my observations.

4) Kids walked 5 miles in zero degree weather to school, up hill both ways. :))) Seriously, they had chores to do before school, after school, and no computers, I-Pods or video games.
Most kids I knew did not live on a farm, did not have chores to do, some rode the bus, some walked to school, but as I remember, there were more of my classmates who were overweight that lived on the farm than were overweight "townies".

5) After a hard days work, most people relaxed by sitting together, reading, playing a musical instrument, etc. And they then got a good nights sleep.
Is this a factor in obesity?

This is just a snapshot of a few things that have alterations of the very nature of our lifestyles in the modern world. Of course, this is overly-simplistic, and only meant to illustrate a significant overview of the problem.
If the elements that you observe are "overly simplistic", then how can they in combination, add up to a "significant" overview of the problem?

Werbung:
Back