Father Cutie? Cutie, really?

Perhaps I was not clear but since I would assume that you had at least done some diligent research and read the articles posted i did not think I needed to be overly clear.

Those "investigated" were those in the study posted. Here is the quote you missed and it is not wild at all.

"The Chicago study also found that of the 2,200 priests, just one was a pedophile."

Oh. So, in that one study, they only found one of 2,200 priests studied to be a pedophile. That would be a low ratio, if it applies to everyone who has taken on the vow of celibacy and entered the priesthood.

Werbung:
Oh. So, in that one study, they only found one of 2,200 priests studied to be a pedophile. That would be a low ratio, if it applies to everyone who has taken on the vow of celibacy and entered the priesthood.

If the priests in Chicago were in some way different than the priests in other parts of the country/world that would indeed be non-representative. I have no reason to think that the priests in Chicago are not very much like priests all over.

I suspect what is happening is that priests share certain personality characteristics with gay men (widely proven according to the MMPI). A larger percentage of priests may even be gay than the regular population (clearly true of Jesuits). It may even be that priests are gay men who are not comfortable being gay and that is why a celibate lifestyle appeals to them. Therefore, celibacy offers them a solution to what they view as a problem. The same may even be happening with men who are attracted to children - the celibate lifestyle may offer them hope to avoid what they are uncomfortable with. It appears to be working as less of them become offenders than the general population.

Werbung:
If the priests in Chicago were in some way different than the priests in other parts of the country/world that would indeed be non-representative. I have no reason to think that the priests in Chicago are not very much like priests all over.

I suspect what is happening is that priests share certain personality characteristics with gay men (widely proven according to the MMPI). A larger percentage of priests may even be gay than the regular population (clearly true of Jesuits). It may even be that priests are gay men who are not comfortable being gay and that is why a celibate lifestyle appeals to them. Therefore, celibacy offers them a solution to what they view as a problem. The same may even be happening with men who are attracted to children - the celibate lifestyle may offer them hope to avoid what they are uncomfortable with. It appears to be working as less of them become offenders than the general population.

So, the requirement for celibacy does attract men who have sexual appetites that are different from most men.

If that is correct, and if they, as you say, don't act on their inclinations toward children especially, then perhaps celibacy is a good thing overall.

Still, if the stats you're posting are correct, then I, along with most of the public, have been taken in by sensationalized journalism about pedophile priests. I hope that is the case, anyway.

Sheesh! I just started this thread because I thought it was funny that a priest whose name appears to be a term of endearment found a wife and left the priesthood. I had no idea it had so many implications.

Back