Feminism in the 21st Century

Brandon

While I was on my way to work today, I overheard two guys discussing the current feminst agenda (Trust me, this rarely happens. Plus my iPod died on me). Both guys were going back and forth about the damages of this movement and how it has eroded the family and male-female relationships.

I was curious to know your position on current feminism movements and agendas.

Werbung:
I think its in flux at the moment.

Ive noticed alot of woman that strived so hard to work outside the house and concentrate on the career are now reevaluating it and wishing they could be home raising the kiddies again. Woman in general challenge themselves and the roles that are placed on us. A typical woman role in this country isn't set in stone like other countries, we have soo many opportunities and advantages. I'm really proud of that. Although, its very overwhelming at times.

I think your right Frost, I ahve seen this trend too where women are wishing they could go back home. I think that the movement in general was too pushy and that women should ahve been able to decide for themselves what they wanted but instead everyone was pushed out into the world to make a living and be independant. It is a case at this point of "be careful waht you wish for".

It may be true that some women are wishing to get back into the home, but at the same time there are many others who are happy and content with the fruits of their feminist labors. If a woman wants to re-enter housewife territory, what exactly is stopping her? I see no reason why a woman cannot choose to hold whatever career she is capable of having, or for that matter whatever makes her happy.
The main stress that has been placed on the male female relationship by the feminist movement is simply that men cannot readily deal with a woman in a position of higher power than he himself is capable of carrying. If a man is in a relationship with a strong woman who makes say double the salary he does... if he admits to it or not, his pride is hurt and their relationship runs the risk of crumbling simply because of the shifting of power.
Some men cannot handle independent women; just as some women cannot handle being independent.
The point is if a woman feels better at home barefoot and pregnant, let her be that way, but recognize that there are also women in the world who are the CEOs and presidents of major companies, and would not trade that position for the world.
I’m all for feminism as long as it doesn’t involve bitching about the work there is for women to do … remember the 60s? When women worked their Asses off so that we could work alongside men, and be their ‘equals’. Just try to have a little respect for the fact that at one point women had to struggle to get where they are now. And stop bitching, you wanted the job… now do the work.

kokotai said:
I think your right Frost, I ahve seen this trend too where women are wishing they could go back home. I think that the movement in general was too pushy and that women should ahve been able to decide for themselves what they wanted but instead everyone was pushed out into the world to make a living and be independant. It is a case at this point of "be careful waht you wish for".

I am not sure if I see raising children as a form of slavery, which is what a lot of radical feminists think. I could really care less who stayed home to watch the 'kiddies' as long they were being watched.

I think feminism backfired when it wasn't about spreading choice (career woman or homemaker) but belittling the most important part of our society, Women who care for children.

The "mainstream" feminist movement has never been about belittling child-rearing. The common denominator throughout all strands of feminism starting at least in the 1840's has been the belief that women themselves are not children, and should not be treated as such. For example, having certain activities completely off-limits because it is assumed they are not psychologically or physically suited for them. Or having all life decisions either dictated or at least subject to approval/veto by a male.

Those are characteristics of raising children, whom we slowly integrate into society based on their developmental level. Feminism says women do not remain in a state of needing protection and guidance their whole lives.

Interesting topic.

Ive also noticed that the woman who are CEO's/career woman want to start that family later. Career first then family. Say late 30's. This is creating a lot of fertility problems. Which in turn will increase the health care needs.

On a personal level i dont like to see people have children to leave them in a day care situation. I think if you want children you should have someone home raising them....I never understood having a child and taking off back to work. children are a luxury now and you should be able to afford them if you cant dont have them lol...yeah i know i'm gonna hear some slack for that view:p

palefrost said:
children are a luxury now and you should be able to afford them if you cant dont have them lol...yeah i know i'm gonna hear some slack for that view:p
Oh my god! For the love of all things holy, are you advocating for personal responsiblity? It looks that way to me!
:wavey:

damn you for having some sort of view that includes forcing people to take financial responsibility! in this day and age, you expect people to be able to handle waiting until they can actually afford children before popping a few out?? how dare you.

Isn't it amazing. I do believe that the movement should have been more about choice and I do think that people should look at having and raising children as a responsiblity. I think it is time to stop having society decide who stays home with the kids and leave it up to the families themselves.

kokotai said:
Isn't it amazing. I do believe that the movement should have been more about choice and I do think that people should look at having and raising children as a responsiblity. I think it is time to stop having society decide who stays home with the kids and leave it up to the families themselves.
Everyone just needs to keep in mind that as much as the government and society would like to tell us what to do, we (in the US) live in a Democratic society and because of this we should leave decisions like this to the individuals whom they will directly effect.

The real feminist movement is over. It did some good for equality in the workplace, but it got old. Too pounded in for the taste of most women.
Now, I think, everything is settling into place again ...hence, the discussions about children.

When you can "afford" children is one of the most highly debatable topics there is. It all depends on what you consider a necessity - and an awful lot of people consider waaaay too much to be necessary than is good, in my opinion.

This is true it is a matter of priorities and for some people things are a bit backwards. As for the movement, I think there are still some out there "fighting the good fight" but I don't know how successful they are.

Werbung:
Oh my god! For the love of all things holy, are you advocating for personal responsiblity? It looks that way to me!
:wavey:

Thats it im starting a whole new post on the role the government plays in raising our children!!

Back