Foreign Policy Disaster

BigRob

Obama ready to drop shield plans for Russian help on Iran

If this is accurate, this is one of the worst foreign policy moves we could have possibly made. Not only did we just sell out Eastern Europe (and concede Russian dominance of the region), but the security impact can be huge. The credibility of US assurances (assuming this is accurate) will take a major hit from this. This is a proliferation concern, and a direct threat to peace and security internationally.

Further, this move makes the United States look even more pathetic in the eyes on the Iranians. We sure did not need another way to show them they have the upper hand, yet we handed it to them on a silver platter.

Another off shoot that can come from this is it could embolden terror movements yet again. Anyone read Bin Laden's declaration of war? Seems like the President sure has not. He spells out that the United States has no stomach for war, and all it takes it to kill a few Americans and we run away. He then laughs at the US because even when we do retaliate, we take measures to not actually kill anyone.

If Bush did one thing right, he changed that mentality, guess we just reverted that 8 years of progress with this moronic move. For a Vice-President that is supposed to get foreign policy, either he was not involved on this one, or he just missed the boat.

Anyway, did anyone stop to question if Russia even has the influence in Iran to get them to give up their program? Guess we missed that little detail as well.

Werbung:
I agree, this is bad.

Rob it feels like he is doing that saying

the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Trusting one enemy to work out an issue with our other enemy just seems like something you do in middle school

I agree, this is bad.

Rob it feels like he is doing that saying

the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Trusting one enemy to work out an issue with our other enemy just seems like something you do in middle school

Well, I do not object working with Russia. I object to selling out Eastern Europe, showing weakness to Iran, and putting the validity of US security assurances in jeopardy.

Come on BigRob, get on the liberal flower train of love... We're all gonna be one big world full of hugs, and we'll all worship the Messiah and drink Kool-Aid.

Russia won't do squat with Iran, except make some feigned attempt to reason with them. We'll drop our shield plans and then we'll be stuck holding the stick as Iran moves forward with its plans.

Come on BigRob, get on the liberal flower train of love... We're all gonna be one big world full of hugs, and we'll all worship the Messiah and drink Kool-Aid.

Russia won't do squat with Iran, except make some feigned attempt to reason with them. We'll drop our shield plans and then we'll be stuck holding the stick as Iran moves forward with its plans.

I agree Russia would be unable to do much about an Iranian program. Perhaps if you got both Iran and China, but that seems unlikely.

In the mentality of many abroad, they will allow us to hug them so they won't miss when they shoot. We should recognize this.

Well, I do not object working with Russia. I object to selling out Eastern Europe, showing weakness to Iran, and putting the validity of US security assurances in jeopardy.

I dont object to working with Russia either. Except I dont like the idea of getting rid of our weapons if they promise to do the same.

I dont think Russia can do anything about Iran.

I bet Eastern Europe is worried about thier future now. That is kind of sad

Exhibiting a little of that "hawk" attitude of yours I alluded to the other day...aren't we?

While I havent seen the actual text of the letter, but Obama has asked for Russia's help in regards to Iran, mentioning correctly that if Iran doesnt have nukes there is less reason for the shield in central Europe. I dont see this as a bad play on its face.

There is nothing we can do to stop a nuclear volley from Russia. The shield is designed to stop a handful of missiles, likely from a rogue state like NKorea or potentially Iran. When it comes to a nuclear exchange with Russia or China, the MAD policy is still the only real deterent.

Would it be better to act like a rubber chicken?

No, but a little diplomacy and common sense goes a long way...and my common sense tells me that we cannot continue to be the policemen of the world...forget the political arguments...it's draining our resources.

And anyway, who cares how we "look" to the Iranians?

No, but a little diplomacy and common sense goes a long way...and my common sense tells me that we cannot continue to be the policemen of the world...forget the political arguments...it's draining our resources.

And anyway, who cares how we "look" to the Iranians?

Who cares how we "look" to the Iranians???????????????

POPEYE!!!! All I heard for the last 2 years was how Obama was going to make us "look" good to other nations again and how that was so important, now you say it doesn’t matter

Arg!

What is sending secret letters to Russia asking them to police Iran for us??
It still makes us the police but we are now just outsourcing our policemen.

And by the way...

Did not obama say this will be the most transparent presidency ever? How come we learned about the letter from Russia and not our own transparent president??

:D

Who cares how we "look" to the Iranians???????????????

POPEYE!!!! All I heard for the last 2 years was how Obama was going to make us "look" good to other nations again and how that was so important, now you say it doesn’t matter

Arg!

What is sending secret letters to Russia asking them to police Iran for us??
It still makes us the police but we are now just outsourcing.

And by the way...

Did not obama say this will be the most transparent presidency ever? How come we learned about the letter from Russia and not our own transparent president??

:D

No, the point was that Obama was going to use diplomacy instead of force....that's certainly preferable. Anyway Iran, presently has no nuclear weapon...let me quote from the article:

U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates said on the NBC television channel on Sunday that the Islamic Republic was not close to building a nuclear bomb. "They're not close to a stockpile, they're not close to a weapon at this point, and so there is some time," Gates said.

Gates also said that while more sanctions should be imposed against Iran, the door should not be closed to diplomacy.

Why the need to present some sort of tough front to the Iranians?...They are no threat..plenty of time for a diplomatic approach.

Exhibiting a little of that "hawk" attitude of yours I alluded to the other day...aren't we?

It is hawkish to live up security assurances we make? Hawkish to protect our allies? Did I call for an invasion anywhere? Not that you can cite.

If this makes me hawkish, then I am hawkish.

Werbung:
While I havent seen the actual text of the letter, but Obama has asked for Russia's help in regards to Iran, mentioning correctly that if Iran doesnt have nukes there is less reason for the shield in central Europe. I dont see this as a bad play on its face.

There is nothing we can do to stop a nuclear volley from Russia. The shield is designed to stop a handful of missiles, likely from a rogue state like NKorea or potentially Iran. When it comes to a nuclear exchange with Russia or China, the MAD policy is still the only real deterent.

Yes the shield is designed to protect against threats like North Korea and Iran. What is at stake is our credibility. If we cave now, we all but cede eastern Europe back to Russia, and it puts our security assurances under serious doubt. Once this occurs, this is a major proliferation problem.

Back