French court rejects carbon tax

dogtowner

Staff member
read

I;m not sure which is more disturbing, that they want to tax carbon at all or if they wanted to exempt 93% of business for the scam...

France’s constitutional court rejected a proposed tax on carbon emissions, saying a web of exemptions violated the principal of equality and rendered efforts to cut greenhouse gas emissions ineffective.

The government said it will make new proposals on Jan. 20.
The tax, which would have started on Jan. 1, was set at 17 euros ($24.38) per ton of carbon-dioxide emissions, President Nicolas Sarkozy said in September. To make the tax more palatable, he partially or fully exempted power plants, public transport, airlines, farming and fishing, as well as 1,018 older cement, steel and glass factories.

In all, 93 percent of all industrial carbon emissions in France would have avoided paying the full tax, the constitutional court said in a decision published on its Web site. The tax would have fallen disproportionately on fuel for heating and cars, it said.

I guess its better than taxing business which would also fall to the consumer but when you realize its nothing but a major new tax that does nothing... I'm glad the French citizenry got a reprieve however temporary.

Hear on the radio this morning a guy who points out a provision in the domestic cap-n-tax bill that will require homeowners to update their homes before sale to some standard. Given that the po folks tend to live in older (read less fuel effieicnt) homes its going to be a real problem for them.

Werbung:
The French are getting better, ever since they got rid of Jacques René Chirac I have found a few things to like about them.

I do like much better the current skirt chaser :)

One problem, the politicians PASSED this thing. The court only considers it unfair.

But there has been an improvement with Nick and Angie in Germany.

Werbung:
Yeah its got to be, they are the only things holding him back.

Its so funny that China is more conservative than our president

ugh!

Its funny that Hugo the C is making fun of him. Remember how chummy those two were at that meeting ?

obama-chavez-2.jpg

Back