Friend or Enemy?

Hobo1

r489389_2531755.jpg

Here's a test for all you phobics. Question: This woman has been in the news because:

1) She is fanatical Muslim who attempted a suicide bombing Jerusalem?
or
2) She is a rebellious Catholic who recently was selected for Sainthood?

Werbung:
You are right. I think it is interesting how the traditional dress of a nun and the traditional dress of a Muslim woman both have a common tradition... this is the way women dressed at the time and in the place where both religions originated. In part it was modesty, in part it was fashion. But in neither case was it because men forced women dress that way.

You are right. I think it is interesting how the traditional dress of a nun and the traditional dress of a Muslim woman both have a common tradition... this is the way women dressed at the time and in the place where both religions originated. In part it was modesty, in part it was fashion. But in neither case was it because men forced women dress that way.

Unlike some European countries, you don't see a movement in the US to ban traditional religious garb. I don't think anyone has a problem with religious women displaying a sense of modesty (men could certainly do this more than they do), it only becomes an issue when you need to see someone's face to ID them, which I think is a reasonable accommodation.

Of course, if you ask someone to remove a piece of clothing for a good reason, you must provide the proper environment to ensure privacy is maintained.

I have lived in Muslim countries for 12 years out of my 63 years on earth. Recently, I have seen an increase in the number of Muslim women who wear head scarfs primarily for fashion. If you Google "clothing for Muslim women" you will see many sites that sell very expensive and very stylish clothes. Of course, to the eye of a Western man, the clothes may not seem attractive.. but of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I use this nun for example. She is obviously an attractive woman and her head scarf does not hide this. In this photo she is wearing more homespun material - so she appears pretty hardened. Again, this is the image she wishes to project.

My point is that all American's must be careful not to associate the clothing style of Muslim women with the same mindset of a hardened fanatical Taliban fighter. If the only time you see a women wearing a head scarf is on a news program showing a war zone, it would be easy to make the wrong associations.

Werbung:
Of course, if you ask someone to remove a piece of clothing for a good reason, you must provide the proper environment to ensure privacy is maintained.

I have lived in Muslim countries for 12 years out of my 63 years on earth. Recently, I have seen an increase in the number of Muslim women who wear head scarfs primarily for fashion. If you Google "clothing for Muslim women" you will see many sites that sell very expensive and very stylish clothes. Of course, to the eye of a Western man, the clothes may not seem attractive.. but of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I use this nun for example. She is obviously an attractive woman and her head scarf does not hide this. In this photo she is wearing more homespun material - so she appears pretty hardened. Again, this is the image she wishes to project.

My point is that all American's must be careful not to associate the clothing style of Muslim women with the same mindset of a hardened fanatical Taliban fighter. If the only time you see a women wearing a head scarf is on a news program showing a war zone, it would be easy to make the wrong associations.

Those were some really good points. Thank you!

do you remember when Rachel Ray got into hot water for wearing a scarf in one of her shows and it looked "too muslim"

I thought that was so silly. The people who freaked out on her scarf should read your thread!

Back