Gay Divorce, Precident to Marriage?

Sihouette

I note with new amusement how same-gendered "married" couples are seeking divorce in states where this arrangement is not legal. Getting the State to recognize the marriage [via divorcing it] is a sneaky backdoor to come back later and say "you recognized same-sexed marriages via divorce so that same recognition must apply to the still-married"

Really, legally speaking here, what is the difference? An acknowledgment is an acknowledgement.

Werbung:
I note with new amusement how same-gendered "married" couples are seeking divorce in states where this arrangement is not legal. Getting the State to recognize the marriage [via divorcing it] is a sneaky backdoor to come back later and say "you recognized same-sexed marriages via divorce so that same recognition must apply to the still-married"

Really, legally speaking here, what is the difference? An acknowledgment is an acknowledgement.

I've always wondered if gay marriage was just a plot by family lawyers to get money out of the otherwise untapped homosexual community. Must be why homosexual adoption is so important--nothing racks up legal bills as fast as fighting over the kids. At least it should help level the income disparity between the gay and straight communities.

Werbung:
I doubt "plot" is the word. And for purposes of this discussion I'd like to keep it to same-gendered "married" people seeking divorce in non-recognizing states.

Those states need to be careful about setting "recognition" precident. Because if one coupling is recognized, others must be too, regardless of the reason for the recognition. Getting a wedge in edgewise is a subtle affair..at first..

Back