Gay rights?

I just had to say it's great to hear so many people supporting gay rights. My partner and I have been together for 12 1/2 years and we have a beautiful little girl. It's so easy to get infuriated at what people say and it's nice to hear something positive for a change.

Werbung:
I just had to say it's great to hear so many people supporting gay rights. My partner and I have been together for 12 1/2 years and we have a beautiful little girl. It's so easy to get infuriated at what people say and it's nice to hear something positive for a change.

Maybe some day we will be able to applaud the fact that two people are able to build a life and family together, and be less concerned about the genders of the two adults in the family.

Nothing does my heart more good than to see two people committed to one another and building a life together - whether it is a man and a woman, two men, or two women makes no difference to me at all.

While I could care less if marriage existed, I think gay men and women should be fighting for more important issues.
What issues should they be fighting for? I think that one's choice of who to marry and how his family will be structured is very important. If we do not allow people this very basic and personal of human desires, how likely are we to allow them more complex and public issues such as fairness in the workplace?

It just seems like this issue, like so many others, become a problem because people were offended by the beliefs or actions of other people. How nice it would be if people would deal with their own feelings of being offended, rather than trying to change the thoughts and behaviors of others.

I just wanted to say I don't know if anyone else heard it but there was a small blurb in our local paper that religious groups, etc. are upset with Walmart (a family values store) because they donated $60,000 to a group that helps try to ensure gays equal rights in the workplace. I say Go Walmart and it makes me want to shop there even more. :)

Good on Walmart!
Im guessing the people who complained wouldnt have if they cash was going to something they were supporting!
PATHETIC!

I can't remember Bush's exact quote - Sure a gay man could get married - to a woman! This was such a telling thing to say. Make people live in the closet and make their wife miserable? sure, great call.

I remember George (the Furious one) posting about a comedy routine by an actor impersonating Bush using that quote, and I wasn't sure if it was real. It shows the height of ignorance, really- this phenomenon is already common and is a significant cause of divorces and mid-life crisis type events. You want to preach fidelity? Then don't force unfavorable marriages.

Worse yet he probably would have thought he was being witty when (if?) he said it.

Dong, I'm pretty sure that impersonator was using actual quotes from Bush, but like you said-even though it was an actor, that doesn't render the situation out of the realm of possibility, nor probability.

It is so nice to find a place where everyone is not up in arms about gays having rights. I am married and I just don't get how two people of the same sex getting married effects me or my marriage vows. I really don't get the why people just cannot worry about their own marriage and their own life and not everyone elses?

That is the way I look at it, Tater. I fail to see how same-sex marriage could make a committed marriage between a man and woman any less honorable or important.

Some ideas of why folks get up in arms about same-sex marriage:

1. Their own marriages are unhappy and they don't want two guys or two ladies to have something they don't.

2. They are afraid their kids or grandkids will somehow catch a "gay" virus and end up not giving them and grandchildren or great-grandchildren.

3. They believe in a literal understanding of the Bible, so they are happy to take the verses that discuss same sex activities and act as though those verses are talking about consensual behavior between two adults in a committed relationship, but at the same time, won't get too upset about Aunt Sadie's six marriages that ended in divorce, because "times are different now".

4. And perhaps some of them are afraid that gays and lesbians might actually end up being more successful statistically in keeping marriages together than heterosexuals have been for the last several decades.

Probably plenty more, but those come to mind...

I think some more reasons people don't want gay marriage:
They don't want the outcasts being percieved as normal because it threatens their normalcy.
They know homosexuals would feel more free to show affection publicly and they don't want to see it or have to explain it to their kids.
It will be harder to teach their children it is wrong if the governemnt supports it.
It will make it easier for gay couples to adopt children.
People are afraid of change.

Yes hokeshel. I would have to agree with you those are all points others use, but they are just ways for them to get what they want. There are differences in the world and if we all accepted it, it wouldn't be something that had to be explained to kids, it would just be something that was there.

Werbung:
That is a very deep post...it will take me awhile to absorb that one. I like what I hear though.

My take on this issue: gays marrying each other doesn't bother me. I especially liked what someone above said: they have every right to be as miserable as the rest of us.

Back