Gitmo, gitclosed

Most of the countries they came from, have recognized them as terrorist, or combatants. They will not allow them to return.
Fine, then we subject them to the American justice system and the worst penalties we have to offer.
OF the "third countries" that will have them back, boy that's great... maybe they can go back to the Jihad and commit more terrorism like that guy who went back to Pakistan.
Oh, Pakistan, our great ally in the region under the Bush administration:rolleyes: Most of these cases will be held in US courts where possible.
The point is, this is a negative from any view point, unless your an ignorant rosy glasses left-ist.
Andy, lets not go down this road. I am not interested in trading ignorant ideology attacks.

Werbung:
that is stupid, these are not regular prisoners, if there were another place for them better than where they were they would already be there.
If they arent regular prisoner what are they? I think they need to be considered in one of two ways, either as a criminal, and subject either to US or local laws. Or they are POWs, subject to the Geneva convention.
Mertha seems to be the only one who wants them but he only has a min security, and I am sure the people of the state DO NOT WANT THEM, not that mertha would care about that.....it will take more than 12 months to find the location do construction and all the other stuff, when you have that worked out then set a date to close it.
I think we should house them in a special area of the Bush Ranch in Crawford.

Obama said he would listen to all the options before making calls on stuff like this, he did not do that. He could not have listened to all his advisors and the people running gitmo. he promised the freaked out far left he would do this and he did it reguardless of what is right or safe. then he sends his press secretary out to say "The President feels he made America safer by doing this" if obama really thinks that he should let them all go so we can be super duper safer.

Firstly, you have zero evidence he didnt listen to his advisors. The people running Gitmo are prison guards nothing else. They have little say in policy about what should be done with them.

Also, this last sentence is utter unbased hogwash. He wants thier cases reviewed on a case by case basis and directed to the proper jurisdiction. You are delusional here.

We should spend our money defending terrorists trying to kill people of this nation.

It will never make sense to me.

Instead of trying to give them the same liberties as Americans, let's remember why they are there and what their intentions are.

Then they should be subject to the laws of war.
Also, did you ever think they are sometimes trying to defend people trying to kill people of thier nation?

of course theyre not. i was just saying that people shouldnt be criticized for wanting to know where the prisoners will go because its not as cut and dry as someone was making it out to be because its not a bill liek someone said. just saying theres nothing wrong with asking questions!:)

No worries Amber, but that same arugment could be turned around, and a similar twisted logic was used in establishing Gitmo as a prison camp in the first place.
More importantly than where they will go, is the question of, why are they there in the first place.

Arrogance Sih. The worst uneducated persons is a million times better than an arrogant person talking down to others.
You might want to look in the mirror for that one Andy.
So in a time of war, you find a person in an enemy bunker, or for example, an Al Qaeda training camp, we're supposed to put them on trial?
Not always, firstly, if they are a threat, shoot them. Bottom line.
If they surrender, they are POWs. Its not that hard to figure out.
How would you prosecute them? Do you think we have investigators in Afghanistan with our troops, just in case we need to have a trial on some of our captured combatants?
Again, most POWs, unless they are breaking the laws of war, are detained until the war is over. The neat little thing about the WOT, is that there is no end to it! So no need to prosecute.
Essentially you are going to let terrorist go with this line of thinking. By the way, that's exactly what has already happened, and people died because of it. Are you ready to accept the blame for your part in allowing terrorist free to kill again? Because people with your thinking have done just that.
People have died by a lot of things, but I think the US and foreign Contitutions and the various international treaties agreed to, trump that, as it always has, and always will.

I have ZERO interest in having the greatest nation the world has ever known, stoop to the level of some third rate crackpot idiots.

That all may be true... But I thought this was about terrorists and their lack of rights and closing gitmo.

I think Obama owes the islamic community something back for helping him get elected.

http://www.nowpublic.com/world/secret-foreign-terrorist-money-floods-obama-campaign

And of course Hillary Clinton will owe them too.

All the Dems will owe the Islamic Extremists so much.. won't this be a fun time to live in?

It wont be a fun time to live in because of the absolute mess that was left for whoever would have been elected President. But the fact of the matter is that the one person most responsible for the election of President Obama is none other than George Bush.
The Bush backlash is what got Obama elected.

You know the latest figure by the Pentagon said 60 plus of those released went back to terror organizations.

Rob, you are a patriotic guy, as am I. A simple question, and a little empathy is required here, but if you were detained, even if guilty as hell. And brought to Gitmo and subjected to treatment that is well below that of the Geneva Convention, and were then released...what would be the first thing you did?

I know my answer, but Id like to hear it from you.

There is a bill that will be before Congress before to long that will outlaw bringing any of these detainees to US soil.
I will pass judgement about the bill when I read it.
Further, many countries have pointed out that if we send them back to where they came from they will be actually tortured or simply shot. It is a big issue that needs to be solved before we set closure dates.
Firstly, I dont give two squats if they get shot. As long as the US takes the high ground and doesnt stoop to thier levels. When we change our values, and our way of life, terrorism is effective. When we keep doing what we otherwise do, it shows the idiots who want to damage us that there tactics are ineffective.

If they hate us for our freedom....

I wouldn't mind if we closed the detention center at Gitmo, provided we put in place sensible rules for dealing with the enemies we capture.

We should start by calling the WOT what it is: a war. (Most accurate title I've heard so far, is "The war by terrorists against us".) Then we should declare those people Prisoners of War, and treat them accordingly, as described by the Geneva Convention. This would include:

1.) Keeping them prisoner until hostilities cease. As lont as their friends keep declaring they are at war with us, and they keep attacking our troops or our civilians, hostilities have not ceased.
2.) No torture (we already follow this rule perfectly). Interrogations, including long ones, are OK.
3.) People found engaging in hostile acts against us, without uniforms, will be summarily executed in the field as spies.
4.) People without uniforms found engaging in hostile acts against civilians of either side, will be summarily executed in the field.
5.) People WITH uniforms found engaging in hostile acts against civilians of either side, will be duly tried and punished appropriately.

...plus more as called out in the Geneva Convention.

I'd suggest to the people who oppose us, that they declare allegiance to one or more countries, enlist in that country's armed forces, and put on a uniform. If they don't, points 3 and 4 above, apply.

If the terrorists start wishing they could go back to Gitmo instead, tough luck. They had that chance, and they (and their supporters) blew it.
The best post in this whole thread. Thanks, and welcome to the forum.

You know the latest figure by the Pentagon said 60 plus of those released went back to terror organizations.

What, the Pentagon said that the people at Gtmo wee trrrrrrrrrsts???

Well it must be true then.

The US Government never got anything wrong about the war v Iraq did they??

BTW Bigrob, did you know that they have removed the word 'gullible' from the dictionary?

Firstly, you have zero evidence he didnt listen to his advisors. The people running Gitmo are prison guards nothing else. They have little say in policy about what should be done with them.

Also, this last sentence is utter unbased hogwash. He wants thier cases reviewed on a case by case basis and directed to the proper jurisdiction. You are delusional here.

Being that its the first bill he signed on the first morning he was president is a pretty frakin good clue that he spent little to any time talking with the many people that would have been involved.

What little he did talk was probably much like his chat with the republicans today over the stim package..... That is a very interesting point of view, that is the difference between our parties and the issue has been resolved, I won, am the president. typical!

The alllies closed the concentration camps pretty quickly in WW2 as well.

Looks like Obama understands human rights.

For you neocons that is under 'H' in the dictionary.

Rob, you are a patriotic guy, as am I. A simple question, and a little empathy is required here, but if you were detained, even if guilty as hell. And brought to Gitmo and subjected to treatment that is well below that of the Geneva Convention, and were then released...what would be the first thing you did?

I know my answer, but Id like to hear it from you.

Well, if I am a terrorist, I would return to the group that I was with before I was captured... Therefore, it shows that many of the people held at GITMO were hardly innocent.

We treated them according to the Geneva Conventions, in fact better than the Geneva Conventions allowed us to treat them.

Werbung:
What, the Pentagon said that the people at Gtmo wee trrrrrrrrrsts???

Well it must be true then.

The US Government never got anything wrong about the war v Iraq did they??

BTW Bigrob, did you know that they have removed the word 'gullible' from the dictionary?

It gets old when you simply attack any source that disagrees with you. Sorry but you are not a credible as the Pentagon.

Back