Good Idea or NOT..heres my opinion

nobull

Now this will get the economy back on track... Think of this as ethanol to fuel Amtrack.

Joe biden, joe bite me, or sometimes as he is called "the everyidiot" announced a $53 billion dollar plan to extend the Amtrack bottomless pit. This is your stimulus plan still creating value to the economy and keeping unemployment below 8%.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...ect=HIGHSPEEDRAIL0904&articleTabs=interactive

There isn't a single link here not already served by bus or airplane or car much more efficiently. Nooooooo we need more red ink passed onto the states to maintain this krap which private money wouldn't touch. The bill nelson track to nowhere. This is 80 miles of track for 1.25 billion dollars. It saves nothing. The human traffic between Tampa and Orlando is virtually nil. Tourists never come in from Tampa. And at 80 miles it is a short enough trip to Tampa.

OK, lets play liberal loser... Instead of taking your car on a business trip you take the Bill Nelson train to nowhere. It lands you at the mouth of Disney's parking lot. But you need to get to Altamonte Springs. So now you have to rent a car, or hire a cab to take you there. So your cost advantage and the flowery ecological advantages is completely lost because without a car in orlando, you aren't going anywhere.

Understand that year after year after year this liberal high speed line has been rejected as not cost effective and you can easily see why. But this money is an earmark for bill nelson's vote to kill Medicare for seniors in FL. This was Florida's prize.

Consider FL. It has virtually no businesses other than tourism. This will only hurt FL business by cutting off the many businesses between tampa and orlando along I-4. It uses gov subsidies to compete against buses and plane and limo services that already serve this tiny market segment. And the beauty of all this... The citizens of FL were not given a say. This is like an uncle giving you a piece of chemical landfill for Christmas which you will have to pay out of pocket to detox. So the value given is much less than the costs you will incur over the future. Yes... this is a liberal plan; void of any intelligence whatsoever. This is spending with no purpose. If High speed rail was cost effective, it would have existed in the US 40 years ago. Instead, its krap.

Werbung:
Consider FL. It has virtually no businesses other than tourism.
Uh....citrus, strawberries, sugar cane, beef, etc. It seems that FL does have a rather large agriculture base.

Uh....citrus, strawberries, sugar cane, beef, etc. It seems that FL does have a rather large agriculture base.

The agriculter base is way off from what it used to be..the beef industry is still strong..but what does that have to do with high speed rail?

regards
doug

A high speed from here ( twin Cities) to say CHicago...would be alot more efficent then air, for most people. Many trips are day trips or weekend trips...or simply to catch a international flight or connection. High speed rail...less waiting around, more fuel efficent, lower cost, and just as fast as a plane ( due to not waiting around 2 hours before the plane is set to leave even...and waiting around forever for your stuff when it lands ...and delays...
Also high speed rail would be much better in bad weather I would imagine.

Same people like you said our Light rail in the cities was a waste...no one would use it...its packed all the time and they are looking to add lines now...

Commuter trains receive huge subsidies in this country. I don't have the stats readily available but I remember hearing that for every $7 ticket that is bought the rail industry receives $35 in subsidies. Of course I heard that a few years ago so I wonder how much higher it would be now.

If any kind of commuter train, high speed or otherwise were efficient and profitable, then they would not need subsidies and companies would be lining up to build them.

I think trains are a great idea and would love to go on vacation via rail; see the country, stop off to explore readily, walk around, eat in the dining car, etc. I would consider it to be a fun part of the vacation. But the last time I checked with Amtrack it was ridiculously expensive compared to taking an airplane. Why would I want to pay huge sums of money to ride a train and then have to be paying for huge subsidies on top of that in my tax dollars?

We need to eliminate all subsidies for any industry in this country. The whole country would work better for all.

The agriculter base is way off from what it used to be..the beef industry is still strong..but what does that have to do with high speed rail?

regards
doug
I did not say that it had anything to do with high-speed rail. You were the one who said that Fl had no industry other than tourism. So, what does agriculture have to do with high-speed rail?

A high speed from here ( twin Cities) to say CHicago...would be alot more efficent then air, for most people. Many trips are day trips or weekend trips...or simply to catch a international flight or connection. High speed rail...less waiting around, more fuel efficent, lower cost, and just as fast as a plane ( due to not waiting around 2 hours before the plane is set to leave even...and waiting around forever for your stuff when it lands ...and delays...
Also high speed rail would be much better in bad weather I would imagine.

Same people like you said our Light rail in the cities was a waste...no one would use it...its packed all the time and they are looking to add lines now...

Um... no

It most likely cannot run in bad weather, is not efficient or exclusive of trime waste on either end. Its a great thning for Conn to NYC for a few fatcats to get to Wall Street but as a general rule in America, its a boondoggle. Europe and Japan can justify the subsadies as their have severe overpopulation issues... I guess.

Terrible idea in America, serves a tiny percentage of the public.

Commuter trains receive huge subsidies in this country. I don't have the stats readily available but I remember hearing that for every $7 ticket that is bought the rail industry receives $35 in subsidies. Of course I heard that a few years ago so I wonder how much higher it would be now.

If any kind of commuter train, high speed or otherwise were efficient and profitable, then they would not need subsidies and companies would be lining up to build them.

I think trains are a great idea and would love to go on vacation via rail; see the country, stop off to explore readily, walk around, eat in the dining car, etc. I would consider it to be a fun part of the vacation. But the last time I checked with Amtrack it was ridiculously expensive compared to taking an airplane. Why would I want to pay huge sums of money to ride a train and then have to be paying for huge subsidies on top of that in my tax dollars?

We need to eliminate all subsidies for any industry in this country. The whole country would work better for all.

"Commuter trains" are not usually the same as "vacation" trains. Commuter trains carry workers from the suburbs into the cities (short distance), Monday thru Friday. The trains that people take on vacation are usually longer distance routs linking major cities and do not have many regular (daily-Monday thru Friday), passengers.

How long have you lived in this country?

Also, what in the Jesus H. Christ standard of proof does, I heard that, "...for every $7 ticket that is bought the rail industry receives $35 in subsidies..."? I have "heard" that kind of stuff from Cliff Claven in the Cheers Bar. Why would you even pass on that hearsay without a citation?

I did not say that it had anything to do with high-speed rail. You were the one who said that Fl had no industry other than tourism. So, what does agriculture have to do with high-speed rail?

Ag may travel by rail but never high speed. and ag is generally being offshored in favor of.... tourism.

OK, lets play liberal loser... Instead of taking your car on a business trip you take the Bill Nelson train to nowhere. It lands you at the mouth of Disney's parking lot. But you need to get to Altamonte Springs. So now you have to rent a car, or hire a cab to take you there. So your cost advantage and the flowery ecological advantages is completely lost because without a car in orlando, you aren't going anywhere.

Fly from the North to Florida and you are in the same situation...no car. A lot of people still do it. Rent a car upon arrival, that is.

"Commuter trains" are not usually the same as "vacation" trains. Commuter trains carry workers from the suburbs into the cities (short distance), Monday thru Friday. The trains that people take on vacation are usually longer distance routs linking major cities and do not have many regular (daily-Monday thru Friday), passengers.

How long have you lived in this country?

Also, what in the Jesus H. Christ standard of proof does, I heard that, "...for every $7 ticket that is bought the rail industry receives $35 in subsidies..."? I have "heard" that kind of stuff from Cliff Claven in the Cheers Bar. Why would you even pass on that hearsay without a citation?

OK so its only 75% subsidized and not 80

I started this thread...why don't you just stay on topic? If you must argue..Here is what I said..

Consider FL. It has virtually no businesses other than tourism. This will only hurt FL business by cutting off the many businesses between tampa and orlando along I-4. It uses gov subsidies to compete against buses and plane and limo services that already serve this tiny market segment. And the beauty of all this... The citizens of FL were not given a say. This is like an uncle giving you a piece of chemical landfill for Christmas which you will have to pay out of pocket to detox. So the value given is much less than the costs you will incur over the future. Yes... this is a liberal plan; void of any intelligence whatsoever. This is spending with no purpose. If High speed rail was cost effective, it would have existed in the US 40 years ago. Instead, its krap.

There will be all kinds of business loss..

Doug

Now if you want to argue the merrits of any other issue I will be more than happy to make you look like a genius..

Werbung:
Back