Gordon Brown Addresses Congress

The Scotsman

The US must help lead the world out of recession but other countries need to do their bit, Prime Minister Gordon Brown has told Congress. Skip related content

Mr Brown - only the fifth British premier to make a speech to both houses on Capitol Hill - urged America to resist protectionism, fight climate change and take advantage of the huge goodwill toward it after President Barack Obama's election.

He said: "Past British prime ministers have travelled to the Capitol building in times of war to talk of war. I come now to talk of new and different battles we must fight together; to speak of a global economy in crisis and a planet imperilled.

"I believe that you, the nation that had the vision to put a man on the moon, are also the nation with the vision to protect and preserve our planet earth.

"You now have the most pro-American European leadership in living memory. A leadership that wants to co-operate more closely together, in order to cooperate more closely with you, he said, adding: "There is no old Europe, no new Europe, there is only your friend Europe."

Mr Brown said the US and a few other countries cannot shoulder all the burden of restoring growth to the world economy, which is facing its worst crisis in decades.

"So let us work together for the worldwide reduction of interest rates and a scale of stimulus round the world equal to the depth of the recession and the dimensions of the recovery we must make," he said.

The Prime Minister is hosting a G20 summit in London on April 2 and is eager to get agreement for coordinated action to boost the world economy, involving not just the European nations but also countries like India and China.

He continued: "Just think how each of our actions, if combined, could mean a whole, much greater than the sum of the parts - all and not just some banks stabilized; on fiscal stimulus, the impact multiplied because everybody does it."

Mr Brown said there are lessons to be learnt from the economic crisis, particularly that the financial instruments that were designed to spread risk, spread contagion instead.

He added: "Today's financial institutions are so interwoven that a bad bank anywhere is a threat to good banks everywhere.

"So should we succumb to a race to the bottom and a protectionism that history tells us that, in the end, protects no one? No. We should have the confidence that we can seize the opportunities ahead and make the future work for us."

Earlier, Mr Brown met Mr Obama at the White House and became the first European leader to visit the new President who took office on January 20. At a press conference following the talks, Mr Obama reaffirmed his belief in the special relationship between Britain and the US.

"Great Britain is one of our closest and strongest allies and there is a link and bond there that will not break," he said.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20090304/twl-brown-says-us-must-take-recession-le-41f21e0.html

.....well then! Whaddya think of Gordo Huh!

Man of the people or just another Brit selling sound bites and empty statements that stroke the egos of them on high.

Maybe a man of insightful perspective with a firm message to share in this time of global economic crisis?

your views would be interesting...........

Werbung:

Man of the people or just another Brit selling sound bites and empty statements that stroke the egos of them on high.

Maybe a man of insightful perspective with a firm message to share in this time of global economic crisis?

I actually went to this event.

I thought his speech was decent, but it seemed to be calling for a lot more government intervention, which I did not like.

I also found his point on education abroad to prevent terrorism somewhat misplaced. If you look at terrorist leadership, many are college educated and have studied in the US. I do not really see major funding for education abroad as preventing terrorism.

What is your take on if he makes it or not? Conservatives making a comeback?

What is your take on if he makes it or not? Conservatives making a comeback?

Rob I think the man is a total fraud. Him and Blair have driven our Country into being creature of the European Union and further he is selling a message to the US Congress that has been ratified by the European Union to serve their interests not yours. The best thing the US people can do is demand his immediate extradition from US........... ship him out forthwith!

............but please don't let this taint your views!!??

You guys might have been a little better off if you hadn't handed out so many UK passports to the folks in places that you colonized. Bad for business you know, old chap...

Everybody wants to blame their leaders for their collective problems. Problems often have a far more complicated genesis.

Werbung:

I did not like him at all. At least Tony Blair gave a good speech.

Do we have to call Ted Kennedy a special name now ?

Back