Guess Who's Got Their Panties In A Bunch Now

Greco

You can't make this stuff up. Well, I guess you could, but I'm not.

Apparently Michelle Obama has planted an organic garden at the White House in partnership a local elementary school class. Who could possibly get upset over that? Why it's those wacky wingnuts of course. The big chemical companies have a lobbying group called the Mid-America Crop Life Association (MACA) and they're all in a dither over this concept of an organic garden. They're just frothing at the mouth because Michele Obama isn't using chemicals in her organic garden.

The lobbying group actually sent an e-mail to their members and supports that said, "While a garden is a great idea, the thought of it being organic made us shudder." What a scary thought... an organic garden pruducing vegetables free of chemicals. MACA took it a step further and publised a letter they mailed to Michelle Obama asking her to use chemicals in her garden. Maybe it's just me, but I thought an organic garden was supposed to be chemical-free.

Apparently the big chemical companies are really, really worried that those elementary school children won't get enough chemicals in their diet if this idea catches on.

Werbung:
Now if Michelle can only get those kids to eat veggies instead of Church's Chicken as their staple food source, we'll be in business.

Strange that any chem group would care if the garden is organic or not. I would be more afraid of being the Obama's and giving out the veggies and someone got sick because it was not properly maintained then sued for it.

If the chem company seems pretty stupid if in fact this is even a true story

I would be more afraid of being the Obama's and giving out the veggies and someone got sick because it was not properly maintained then sued for it.
If that happened, I suspect the person suing would find out afterwards that they were suicidal and ended up on the side of a hill.

If that happened, I suspect the person suing would find out afterwards that they were suicidal and ended up on the side of a hill.

I bet you are right and they could not let that tragedy go to waste, They would spin it to the fact that we have no good mental health programs in our poor medical system and its just one more reason why it should be changed.

You can't make this stuff up. Well, I guess you could, but I'm not.

Apparently Michelle Obama has planted an organic garden at the White House in partnership a local elementary school class. Who could possibly get upset over that? Why it's those wacky wingnuts of course. The big chemical companies have a lobbying group called the Mid-America Crop Life Association (MACA) and they're all in a dither over this concept of an organic garden. They're just frothing at the mouth because Michele Obama isn't using chemicals in her organic garden.

The lobbying group actually sent an e-mail to their members and supports that said, "While a garden is a great idea, the thought of it being organic made us shudder." What a scary thought... an organic garden pruducing vegetables free of chemicals. MACA took it a step further and publised a letter they mailed to Michelle Obama asking her to use chemicals in her garden. Maybe it's just me, but I thought an organic garden was supposed to be chemical-free.

Apparently the big chemical companies are really, really worried that those elementary school children won't get enough chemicals in their diet if this idea catches on.

Yeah as if we don't drink enough beer, smoke pot and do other drugs, to more than cover a few chemicals to protect us from food poisoning.

Now I do think this was a silly over reaction to a non-event. I even find the title of it stupid. Organic garden? Oooo do show me the inorganic garden growing rocks and minerals!

But joking aside, who the heck cares if Mrs. Obama plants an organic garden? It's the farmers that the companies need to sell their product to, not the Obama idiots in Washington. This makes them look silly.

All this aside... I'm a bit confused why people support this 'organic movement'. You do realize that nearly every outbreak of food posioning lately, has been from 'organically grown foods' right? Remember the whole Spinach E-Coli thing? That was 'organically' grown Spinach.

Here's another problem. Not everything sold as 'organic' is really 'organic'. Natural Selection Foods LLC, for example, that sells both organic, and conventional foods, found that a tainted crop of Spinach was sold in both conventional, and 'organic' bags. Of course you pay more for that expensive inked word "organic" written at the top.

Finely, there's the issue with crop spraying. You think "organic" means you are not getting chemicals... but that's not really true. Nor is it safer. Most synthetic chemical sprays, are designed to break down naturally, before they ever make to the market, let alone your dinner table. Moreover, they are so effective, that only one spraying is required.

But organic farming doesn't use synthetic sprays. Instead they use 'natural chemicals' that are not nearly as effective, and must be applied time and time again. Rotenone is a 'natural' insecticide extracted from the roots of tropical plants, and causes the symptoms of Parkinson's disease. Pyrethrum, is another 'natural' bug killer, the EPA classified as a human carcinogen.

So you really think "organic" means you are not getting chemicals on your food? More likely, you are getting more chemicals on your food, and more dangerous ones at that.

And the last little issue is with this nutty idea big business is against organic foods. That's such a joke, it'd be laughable if so many idiots didn't believe it. Sure, this specific association representing chemical companies is agianst it, but most of the 'organic' foods are pushed for by large corporations. Why? Well go look at the prices. Companies don't offer other choices, unless they can make a larger profit. This is basic business 101.

If you sell Widgets, for $1 profit per widget, you are not going to then offer Widget Jr, so you can only earn $0.50 cents profit. No, you will only offer a new product if you can earn MORE profit. Similarly, big farming companies, only offer 'organic' Spinach, over conventional Spinach, because they can earn a larger profit off of it.

Some of the biggest "organic" players in the game are Wal-Mart, General Mills, and Kelloggs.

So I'm not sure why everyone has this "organic" push, but it's actually pretty stupid in my mind.

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/06_42/b4005001.htm
http://www.consumerfreedom.com/news_detail.cfm?headline=2334

Andy Said:
Finely, there's the issue with crop spraying. You think "organic" means you are not getting chemicals... but that's not really true. Nor is it safer. Most synthetic chemical sprays, are designed to break down naturally, before they ever make to the market, let alone your dinner table. Moreover, they are so effective, that only one spraying is required.

But organic farming doesn't use synthetic sprays. Instead they use 'natural chemicals' that are not nearly as effective, and must be applied time and time again. Rotenone is a 'natural' insecticide extracted from the roots of tropical plants, and causes the symptoms of Parkinson's disease. Pyrethrum, is another 'natural' bug killer, the EPA classified as a human carcinogen.

Living our here in the center of America and having grown up on the 'farm' where everything was naturally home grown, we couldn't didn't have the chemicals that they do now (and we couldn't have afforded them had they been available back then either).

But any chemical application has to be mixed/diluted with water...and I'm sure that you all have heard about the prescription drugs that are showing up in our water systems, water treatment plants processed water so add that to the nutrition intake from our daily servings of fresh vegetables and it's no wonder that we seem capable of poisoning ourselves in the way that we have!!!

here's a copy of the letter......

March 26, 2009

Mrs. Barack Obama
The White House
Washington, DC 20500

Dear Mrs. Obama,

We are writing regarding the garden recently added to the White House grounds to ensure a fresh supply of fruits and vegetables to your family, guests, and staff. Congratulations on recognizing the importance of agriculture in America! The U.S. has the safest and most abundant food supply in the world thanks to the 3 million people who farm or ranch in the United States.

The CropLife Ambassador Network, a program of the Mid America CropLife Association, consists of over 160 ambassadors who work and many of whom grew up in agriculture. Their mission is to provide scientifically based, accurate information to the public regarding the safety and value of American agricultural food production. Many people, especially children, don't realize the extent to which their daily lives depend on America's agricultural industry. For instance, children are unaware the jeans they put on in the morning, the three meals eaten daily, the baseball with which they play, and even the biofuels that power the school bus are available because of America's farmers and ranchers.

Agriculture is the largest industry in America generating 20 percent of the U.S. Gross Domestic Product. Individuals, family partnerships or family corporations operate almost 99 percent of U.S. farms. Over 22 million people are employed in farm-related jobs, including production agriculture, farm inputs, processing, and marketing and sales. Through research and changes in production practices, today's food producers are providing Americans with the widest variety of foods ever.

Starting in the early 1900s, technology advances have allowed farmers to continually produce more food on less land while using less human labor. Over time, Americans were able to leave the time-consuming demands of farming to pursue new interests and develop new abilities. Today, an average farmer produces enough food to feed 144 Americans who are living longer lives than many of their ancestors. Technology in agriculture has allowed for the development of much of what we know and use in our lives today. If Americans were still required to farm to support their family's basic food and fiber needs, would the U.S. have been leaders in the advancement of science, communication, education, medicine, transportation, and the arts?

We live in a very different world than that of our grandparents. Americans are juggling jobs with the needs of children and aging parents. The time needed to tend a garden is not there for the majority of our citizens, certainly not a garden of sufficient productivity to supply much of a family's year-round food needs.

Much of the food considered not wholesome or tasty is the result of how it is stored or prepared rather than how it is grown. Fresh foods grown conventionally are wholesome and flavorful yet more economical. Local and conventional farming is not mutually exclusive. However, a Midwest mother whose child loves strawberries, a good source of vitamin C, appreciates the ability to offer California strawberries in March a few months before the official Mid-west season.

- Farmers and ranchers are the first environmentalists, maintaining and improving the soil and natural resources to pass onto future generations. Technology allows for farmers to meet the increasing demand for food and fiber in a sustainable manner.

- Farmers use reduced tillage practices on more than 72 million acres to prevent erosion.

- Farmers maintain over 1.3 million acres of grass waterways, allowing water to flow naturally from crops without eroding soil.

- Contour farming keeps soil from washing away. About 26 million acres in the U.S. are managed this way.

- Agricultural land provides habitat for 75 percent of the nation's wildlife.
Precision farming boosts crop yields and reduces waste by using satellite maps and computers to match seed, fertilizer, and crop protection applications to local soil conditions.

- Sophisticated Global Positioning Systems can be specifically designed for spraying pesticides. A weed detector equipped with infrared light identifies specific plants by the different rates of light they reflect and then sends a signal to a pump to spray a preset amount of herbicide onto the weed.
Biogenetics allows a particular trait to be implanted directly into the seed to protect the seed against certain pests.

- Farmers are utilizing four-wheel drive tractors with up to 300 horsepower requiring fewer passes across fields-saving energy and time.

- Huge combines are speeding the time it takes to harvest crops.
With modern methods, 1 acre of land in the U.S. can produce 42,000 pounds (lbs.) of strawberries, 110,000 heads of lettuce, 25,400 lbs. of potatoes, 8,900 lbs. of sweet corn, or 640 lbs. of cotton lint.

As you go about planning and planting the White House garden, we respectfully encourage you to recognize the role conventional agriculture plays in the U.S. in feeding the ever-increasing population, contributing to the U.S. economy, and providing a safe and economical food supply. America's farmers understand crop protection technologies are supported by sound scientific research and innovation.

The CropLife Ambassador Network offers educational programs for elementary school educators at http://ambassador.maca.org covering the science behind crop protection products and their contribution to sustainable agriculture. You may find our programs America's Abundance, Farmers Stewards of the Land, and War of the Weeds of particular interest. We thank you for recognizing the importance and value of America's current agricultural technologies in feeding our country and contributing to the U.S economy.

Please feel free to contact us with any questions.

Sincerely,
Bonnie McCarvel, Executive Director
Janet Braun, Program Coordinator
Mid America CropLife Association
11327 Gravois Rd., #201
St. Louis, MO 63126

I like the use of the term "conventional agriculture"........:rolleyes:

Interesting reading...but my take on that letter is: WTF, do they assume that this highly educated woman needed them to drum beat the "here we are the farming industry and this is what we do" diatribe. Makes me wonder how many of those pompous asses could trace their ancestry back to the slaves???

I'm in hopes that the first lady handled that letter with all of the proper attention that it deserved...shredded and added to the compost pile ASAP...LOL

Werbung:
I think that Shaman believes that if he shakes his hips, waves his arms and says it three times that it makes it true. Anyway, that seems to be a definite mentality among his ilk. I can say that with as much authority as he can say anything about "conservatives".

Back