Gun Control

Wow George you must be a heavy sleeper :) I'd be awake the second my front door opened. I like security systems, but even with automatic police notification a gun under your bed has a faster response time than police responding from even a few miles away. Theres also nothing to say you can't have both a security system and a gun.

Eldragon: If I was faced with an intruder I'd love it if we all survived unharmed and none of my stuff was stolen. However, if it comes town to me and my things, or this intruder I want to make sure its me and my things.

lizakollman: The situation youre describing is a very unresponsible gun owner. If you ever have children in your house keeping a gun where they can get to it for show and tell is just not acceptable. Incidentally that does reduce the utility of gun ownership for parents (because of access time) to the point that its probably not worth owning one.

Werbung:
The question thus is a balance of defense in the light of levelling the playing field when there are agressive hostile members, versus the inevitable cases of irresponsibility and accidents. No solution is perfect, and even after the factors we are aware of are weighted, we won't know until we try.

hoke-- I grew up like you did. We always had guns in the house, my dad taught my brother and me to shoot from a young age and treat guns responsibility. Yet I don't feel the way you feel, because I really think guns are much more a hazard than protection.

For example... we never had any gun-related accidents in my house... but I KNOW that if my dad had forgotten to lock the gun cabinet one time when my idiot brother had a friend over, and my brother realized it, he'd have wanted to take one of those babies out and show off for his buddy.

They're just TOO dangerous to be allowed to the general public.

To address several points. I also believe guns are mroe of a hazard, becasue people are idiots and won't police themselves.
I like shooting. I still ike to join my brother and shoot guns and arrows for sport, at targets.
I like having someone with me when I go camping who has a gun. There are bears and coyotes around here. Sprays don't always work.
Not all people when they break into your home want to kill you, in fact, that is rarely the case. But, if somone wants to rape me, kidnap my children or steal what little I have, damn well bet I want to have something to scare the pants off of him and use only if I had to.
I do not think that guns or any weapon should be in a house with small children. You should keep them under lock and key if anyone comes to your home. After my kids move out, and I am living all alone, I am going to have one and will keep it nearby.

i agree with most of this.
but i just have to mention that last night i went to a restaraunt in my hometown, and there were guys standing around holding shotguns in the mall parkinglot. it is the pheasant season opener in south dakota, and there are people AND guns everywhere. i think its terribly dangerous.

What people fail to realize is--is that a gun is the WORST defense from an intruder.

:wtf:

Here's a scenario;

You're asleep, and a crook slips into your house undetected. What do you do? If he wants to kill you, he would obviously be stealthy, sneak into your room, and you're dead.

A gun is not the worst defense. It's simply the last line of defense. A security system is great, if in fact it scares off the intruder. But what if it's not a burglar? Maybe it's someone who's got a grudge against you and wants to hurt you, or maybe it's some perv after your kids. There's a lot of crazies out there.

Well gun control can mean a lot of things, I have no issue with reasonable waiting periods , former felons should not be able to own certain guns fore a period of time and then only for hunting and only Certain guns . People who are considered to have severe mental illness should not. And I have no issue with the restriction on machine guns and suppressors which I do own , I would like to see a faster approval time a year is stupid.
But Im all for ccw permits and the ar 15 type guns We need reasonable laws that do not violate our gun rights but reasonable is the key

Personally I think their should be far tighter regulations on the ownership of guns then their is now and that they should be primarilly used by law enforcement. Our gun laws are far too weak and it results in many people getting guns who are not responsible.
Give me some exaples of the MANNY who get them that are not responsible ? And whos fault is it they are responsible or not and how would you determine that ?

Give me some exaples of the MANNY who get them that are not responsible ?
How many people are in jail for firearms offences?
Probably better if guns were just banned. One of the things your "founding Fathers" (is that what they're called) failed to take into account was the number of total idiots that would exist in the future. I bet if they could've looked a few centuries hence and seen the utter fuckfest their wee document was going to create...well...I reckon they'd have screwed the thing up and put it in the bin. I mean its okay if you have a population of illiterate farmers who live miles apart having a blunderbus for blatting the odd elk that potters past, but giving high power guns to total numpties living on top of each other in massive cities...jeez....that just ain't gunna work. I mean all this crap about the constitution allowing total nutters to wander around with guns just shows that clinging onto some outdated document is totally bonkers! I mean a fair amount people in the states are barely literate and most are as mad as a bag of snakes, so adding guns to the witches brew is just barmy...

How many people are in jail for firearms offences?
Probably better if guns were just banned. One of the things your "founding Fathers" (is that what they're called) failed to take into account was the number of total idiots that would exist in the future. I bet if they could've looked a few centuries hence and seen the utter fuckfest their wee document was going to create...well...I reckon they'd have screwed the thing up and put it in the bin. I mean its okay if you have a population of illiterate farmers who live miles apart having a blunderbus for blatting the odd elk that potters past, but giving high power guns to total numpties living on top of each other in massive cities...jeez....that just ain't gunna work. I mean all this crap about the constitution allowing total nutters to wander around with guns just shows that clinging onto some outdated document is totally bonkers! I mean a fair amount people in the states are barely literate and most are as mad as a bag of snakes, so adding guns to the witches brew is just barmy...
So you think farmers are illiterate and carry blunderbusses.
Farming is what feeds our population and part of the rest of the world .Its big business.
And yes I am sure our founding fathers knew some people were idiots. If you will look the majority of gun crimes happen in liberal city's and no our forefathers could not have thought that Democrats would become such criminals and needed to be treated like illiterate Farmers with a blunderbuss.
Odd how liberals are all for legalization of hard narcotics de funding the police and taking away your ability to defend your self with a gun when being robbed or raped or mugged but are soft on crime like the liberal prosecutor who wont bring charges for crimes under 950 bucks or hookers or drugs or even armed robbery's unless some one is hurt.
Bit want to tale away my rights to own a legally purchased gun by a citizens who have obeyed the law and make it easier for felons to commit crimes.
You see some American think we should obey the laws and the Constitution and hold criminals responsible for thier actions.
I guess next liberals will want cars banned because of the the illiterate people in the cities who can't drive and kill people from being drunk and having no driving skills that makes about as much sense doesn't it

So you think farmers are illiterate and carry blunderbusses.
.....in the 18th Century......yup....sure do

Seems "liberals" come in for a bit of a hammering in your post.....what's the opposite of a liberal.... a larebil?
If you will look the majority of gun crimes happen in liberal city's
fine......so essentially
Larebil cities are oasis of calm and security whilst Liberal cities are sinks or depravity and horror...??

Where actually are these Larebil cities.... ?

I can see it....all those wholesome folk wandering around neat and tidy streets in a state of Stepford bliss, blessed with beaming skies with cotton candy clouds; living without a care in the world with spotless clothes, pretty green lawns and wide colgate smiles! Busting with pride at the society they have contrived and the utopia in which they live....all armed to the teeth with honking big guns strapped to their hips and machine guns at the ready......just in case the cotton candy clouds start to threaten rain and turn bit dark....hmmmmm.....

Bit want to tale away my rights to own a legally purchased gun by a citizens who have obeyed the law and make it easier for felons to commit crimes.
No not quite....my thought is not actually allowing people the option or right buy, own or possess a fire arm - they should be illegal....end of story.

I guess next liberals will want cars banned because of the the illiterate people in the cities who can't drive and kill people from being drunk and having no driving skills that makes about as much sense doesn't it
hahaha...its a fun thought isn't it....I mean I have no idea what the roads are like where you are but it would be lovely to go back to a peaceful countryside without all these fucking cars everywhere!! The Southeast of the UK is covered in bloody roads and even the country lanes have sodding great trucks waddling down them....yeah mate lets ban the blood things!

.....in the 18th Century......yup....sure do

Seems "liberals" come in for a bit of a hammering in your post.....what's the opposite of a liberal.... a larebil?

fine......so essentially
Larebil cities are oasis of calm and security whilst Liberal cities are sinks or depravity and horror...??

Where actually are these Larebil cities.... ?

I can see it....all those wholesome folk wandering around neat and tidy streets in a state of Stepford bliss, blessed with beaming skies with cotton candy clouds; living without a care in the world with spotless clothes, pretty green lawns and wide colgate smiles! Busting with pride at the society they have contrived and the utopia in which they live....all armed to the teeth with honking big guns strapped to their hips and machine guns at the ready......just in case the cotton candy clouds start to threaten rain and turn bit dark....hmmmmm.....

No not quite....my thought is not actually allowing people the option or right buy, own or possess a fire arm - they should be illegal....end of story.

hahaha...its a fun thought isn't it....I mean I have no idea what the roads are like where you are but it would be lovely to go back to a peaceful countryside without all these fucking cars everywhere!! The Southeast of the UK is covered in bloody roads and even the country lanes have sodding great trucks waddling down them....yeah mate lets ban the blood things!
Why not they kill more people then guns do. But dont worry if people break on my home and try to rape my woman and steal all I have .I will defend her and myself and my home.
While all the anti gunners women. get raped and beaten and the home sacked ..Then they can call the police to write a report and maybe find then while the anti gunner if still alive heals in the hospital and the woman if still alive is also healing in the hospital and undergo years of mental health counseling.
Where when I call the police they will haul the scum off or call the MEAT wagon to transport the criminal to their last resting place

I live on Florida USA the roads are great here.

Why not they kill more people then guns do. But dont worry if people break on my home and try to rape my woman and steal all I have .I will defend her and myself and my home.
yeah.......trouble is a lot of people get full of bravado on the inter web and end up saying that as a "practical" defense of gun ownership, however, in all reality they would probably end up shitting themselves stupid when faced with such a situation. Imagine plodding downstairs in your slippers and confronted by guys in masks pointing at you......the first thing they'd have to do though is ask them to "hold an a second whilst I go git ma gun.......Shee.....it where's the dang bullets...."

I mean sure I get it....its fine to think that...I guess over time when enough people say it one just believe them....have you ever questioned that argument yourself though?

yeah.......trouble is a lot of people get full of bravado on the inter web and end up saying that as a "practical" defense of gun ownership, however, in all reality they would probably end up shitting themselves stupid when faced with such a situation. Imagine plodding downstairs in your slippers and confronted by guys in masks pointing at you......the first thing they'd have to do though is ask them to "hold an a second whilst I go git ma gun.......Shee.....it where's the dang bullets...."

I mean sure I get it....its fine to think that...I guess over time when enough people say it one just believe them....have you ever questioned that argument yourself though?
Well thats interesting because I have been shot at more then one time and had to hunt down armed mugger b&e

Considering I was a public safety officer and have been shot at assaulted had to deal with armed robbers rapist and more .I dont shit myself as you claim. You see proper training and practice are are the key..

Werbung:
Personally I think their should be far tighter regulations on the ownership of guns then their is now and that they should be primarilly used by law enforcement. Our gun laws are far too weak and it results in many people getting guns who are not responsible.
Our gun laws are fine .The problem with guns are the 380000 stolen a year and used by criminals and gang bangers who dont care about laws and the fact that liberals city's are soft on crime.

Back