Having my Booze on Sunday, to help the econ.

pocketfullofshells

land of 10,000 lakes and 2 senators again
"A handful of state legislatures have declared it's closing time for Sunday alcohol sales restrictions, saying an extra day of sales could give their foundering budgets a much-needed shot of revenue. Those states - Georgia, Connecticut, Texas, Alabama and Minnesota - enjoy overwhelming voter support for an extra day of sales, but face opposition from members of the Christian right, who say that selling on Sunday undermines safety and tears apart families. "During times of economic stress, our families are under enough pressure," says Jim Beck, the president of the Georgia Christian Coalition. "I don't think we need to add even more pressure to those families by passing this law."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20090223/us_time/08599188034000

Why is it that evryone in my state, and others, has to sit around on Sunday not able to go buy some beers to watch the game with due to a few Religius people who feel they need to prevent it, to save the family or based on some bible verse? I am lucky, I live near the border, so if I need drinks on Sunday, I have just drove to WI to get them, but why should I have to? Can I by booze the night before and drink on Sunday,sure but I work late so I am not always able to do that before they close on Sat...nor should I have to.

I dont go to church, or follow your Religion. I dont work the normal mon- fri job. And I dont work your normal 9-5..( try 10-9 or later ) So why must I fit there family values...its time to end these dumb Sunday laws.

Also in related news, to Bunz post about Dry, damp, wet cities....Dry and Damp cities should burn the the ground...they are pure evil.

Werbung:
Hey Pocket, in a nation for the people by the people, is it the right of the people in any particular state, to determine by what laws they will follow in their state?

Yes or no answer please.

At least you can buy beer the rest of the week. 75% of Arkansas counties are dry. Mine is not even damp. No alcohol sold at any time,anywhere. Must go 40 miles to the next county for any booze. And it is much more expensive there than in Missouri.

Hey Pocket, in a nation for the people by the people, is it the right of the people in any particular state, to determine by what laws they will follow in their state?

Yes or no answer please.

Yes or no, its my right to not have to live by laws of someone else's religion, and state my belief that I should have the right to get a drink on a Sunday and have the law changed?

Yes or no, I should have the right to purchase want, and a seller should have the right to sell me what I want, and not only on certin days of the week..unless there is a large justifiable cause that would show harm to others rights?

Let the Free Market decided if they can sell Booze on Sunday....you don't want booze on Sunday, don't buy it...if enough don't want it, they can close on Sunday.

At least you can buy beer the rest of the week. 75% of Arkansas counties are dry. Mine is not even damp. No alcohol sold at any time,anywhere. Must go 40 miles to the next county for any booze. And it is much more expensive there than in Missouri.

I know i was in Ark, have family there, was my first time being in a dry county....I felt like I was in some other lame boring nation. I justed wanted one nice cold beer with my pizza...did not seem like that should be a 45 min drive to find a place I could do that. But at least now I now God will not spite that city for its wicked ways...Just me.

Yes or no answer please.

as for yes or no to your Q...no you don't get to pick what laws you follow...nor did I suggest breaking the law did I? I suggested changing the law.

"A handful of state legislatures have declared it's closing time for Sunday alcohol sales restrictions, saying an extra day of sales could give their foundering budgets a much-needed shot of revenue. Those states - Georgia, Connecticut, Texas, Alabama and Minnesota - enjoy overwhelming voter support for an extra day of sales, but face opposition from members of the Christian right, ........
..............you guys can't by booze on Sundays!!!!!!???????????? Seriously :eek:

.....Why would you live there??????????

I would love to invite you here and we can go on a pub crawl around the Pubs of Kent......on a Sunday as well! We can start off at my Local "The Manor Farm" and work our way round the village and finish off the evening with a good old fasioned British curry!!! ;)

as for yes or no to your Q...no you don't get to pick what laws you follow...nor did I suggest breaking the law did I? I suggested changing the law.

In our constitution, we (are supposed to) have a very limited federal government, with most of the rights left to the states, and the people of those states respectively.

Therefore, if you have a problem with your specific states laws, you have the right to push for their repeal. However, regardless of your religious views, and the specific dogma that you follow, the people of other states have the right to pass, and enforce "Sunday" laws as they see fit.

Yes or no, its my right to not have to live by laws of someone else's religion, and state my belief that I should have the right to get a drink on a Sunday and have the law changed?

Yes or no, I should have the right to purchase want, and a seller should have the right to sell me what I want, and not only on certin days of the week..unless there is a large justifiable cause that would show harm to others rights?

Let the Free Market decided if they can sell Booze on Sunday....you don't want booze on Sunday, don't buy it...if enough don't want it, they can close on Sunday.

'Thou shalt not murder' is also a religious law. Views against racism, are also religious laws. Most of the laws that you do, and do not, support are all based on one religious view or another. Incest is a religious based law.

So to say you refuse to abide by any religious laws, is to say there should be no laws at all. I wager you'd likely have a problem if everyone treated you as if there were no laws. But if you are to claim you shouldn't follow any religious laws, then you can't blame a mugger or thief who violates your right.

If you honestly believe that, then we don't have any argument. But I wager you are outrages, as any of us are, when we feel violated by another persons actions.

Once again, in your state, the people have a right to determine by which laws will be enforced in your state. If you have a problem with that, great. Start a drive in your state to change the laws. But the federal government, does not, or should not, have a right to over rule states rights.

I agree that every state gets to determine what laws they want as long as they are consistent with the state constitution. As far as I know every state constitution has as it's purpose the protecting of the inalienable rights of it's citizens.

We do this by weighing the desires of the various persons in the state.

Rather than saying you don't want religious laws (which is bound to be ineffective since all laws are based on someone's idea of morality/ethics at some point) I think a stronger argument would be to say that their reasons for wanting such laws are not very strongly supported. I can see no reason that selling alcohol on Sunday would be any more harmful than selling it on any other day.

One could also argue that the state has not made a compelling case that restricting the rights of those who want to buy it on Sundays is in the best interest of, well, anyone, compared to restricting that right on any other day.

I personally drink very little alcohol and have the foresight to buy it on days when it is sold. But it is still a right to buy whatever one might want on whatever day one might want unless the state can make a good case that there is a good reason for restricting those rights.

P.S. sales on booze us usually not effected by poor economies so buying more of it won't help the economy as much as buying, say the equivalent, amount of real estate, which is in dire need of a boost right now.

P.S. sales on booze us usually not effected by poor economies so buying more of it won't help the economy as much as buying, say the equivalent, amount of real estate, which is in dire need of a boost right now.

Whoa whoa... you misunderstand. The goal isn't to help the economy, it's to pay more taxes which will help the governments pocket book. The two are not the same.

Basically, some are starting to realize the massive debt they are hoisting on us, and know if they don't get some new revenue, eventually the public will figure this out and have a massive backlash.

Werbung:
Back