Here is the thread about racism I promised

PLC1

Staff member
What is racism?
Is it still a significant force in American society? In American politics?
Does the election of Barack Obama mean that racism is a thing of the past? Did racism play a significant role in his election? If so, did it help him, or hurt him?
Is racism a failing of white people only, or are blacks also sometimes racists?

Let's start with the first question, so that we're all talking about the same thing.

Werbung:
Re: Here is the thread about racism I promised.

Racism is a waterfall of hatred and discrminiation from the oppressor to the oppressed.

It does not flow uphill

Then Mugabe is definitely a racist and he's black.

I seriously doubt there's a person on the planet whose family doesn't have a little blood on their hands. We're all guilty. Guilty of surviving when somebody else didn't down through history if nothing else. Absolute pacifists have a nasty tendency of not making it in the big, wide world.

Dammit.

Once when I was in the jungles of Nigeria, I got to unwillingly witness one tribe (Ijaws) bent on the genocide of another tribe (Itsekiris). I had met and trained many of the Itsekiris on how to use the (non-military) equipment that we'd provided. It was awful on the morning that the Ijaws attacked. The reason that they did it was because there was a Nigerian government office in the neighborhood (we're talking real jungle here, complete with Malaria) that originally was on Ijaw land. The government, for whatever reason, decided to redraw the boundary so that the office was now on Itsekiri land. The Ijaws insisted that the government restore the boundary because the office represented about the only way for anyone in the area to have representation with the government. Their reasoning was that since their tribe number about 12,000,000 and the Itsekiri only had about 250,000, what little governmental representation existed oughta' go to them being the much larger tribe. From their point of view, it made a kind of sense. When the government refused to comply, their "Plan B" was simple extermination.

So many varieties of this kind of thing exist in the world that the word "racism" can almost be taken at face value: groups racing each other for survival or wealth, take your pick. When things are so stinking good that everyone can survive with relative ease, nasty attitudes go to the back burner. And when things get bad... the old "it's us against them" attitudes start spilling out again.

Since no one else has tried the first question, "what is racism", but jumped right in with "only whites are racist", let me give my own definition:

Racism is the human tendency to view other humans who are different from themselves in one way or another as inferior, or as a threat.

Anyone want to add to or detract from that one?

I didn't try to define it--I tried to illustrate it.

I will add, though, that certain groups often do have specific characteristics--Germans, French and Italians aren't much alike. We Germans really like numbers and calculating things, and are often pretty cold-blooded because of it. There's a lot of folks that don't like us because of it and we often don't like them for the reverse reason.

C'est la vie!

And when I hear people proudly avoiding the fact that their ridiculous attempt at philosophy is full of crap, it makes me think that they THINK they are justifying their own ignorance and one sided hatred.

Since no one else has tried the first question, "what is racism", but jumped right in with "only whites are racist", let me give my own definition:

Racism is the human tendency to view other humans who are different from themselves in one way or another as inferior, or as a threat.

It's really no surprise, but you can look up "racism" in an assortment of dictionaries and come up with an assortment of variations of the definition. It is true that as time passes, the definition modifies.

In a nut shell, to me: Racism is any attitude or action that puts a value on a people or person, either positive or negative, based solely on their (his/her) race.

It's really no surprise, but you can look up "racism" in an assortment of dictionaries and come up with an assortment of variations of the definition. It is true that as time passes, the definition modifies.

In a nut shell, to me: Racism is any attitude or action that puts a value on a people or person, either positive or negative, based solely on their (his/her) race.

That sounds like a pretty good definition, too.

Say, Dawkinsrocks, are you still going to maintain that blacks can't put a value on a person based solely on race? Do you think that they don't tend to look on people who are different as inferior?

Or, what is your definition of racism?

Werbung:

different? thats a very vague term, and realy racism only deals with issues of viewing other races as unequal in some way. ( and its possible to be racist but in a postive way, or at least way that is not thought of of as bad or harmful)

Back