1. Discuss politics - join our community by registering for free here! HOP - the political discussion forum

Hewlett creates tiny chip.

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by palefrost, Jul 17, 2006.

1. palefrost

palefrost Well-Known Member

Interesting new chip made by Hewlett. Its the size of a small sticker and can be attached anywhere. The device, holds tons of information: the voice of a child pictured in a photo, a summary of someone's medical history on a hospital tag, or even a trailer of a movie portrayed on a poster. You can put the chip anywhere no less!

Consumers could eventually use a specialized reader or other devices, such as a cell phone, a memory stick or a even a car key, to access the information on the chip the article states. Sounds like a interesting new invention with alot of possiblities.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2006/07/17/BUGOMJVQ9H1.DTL&type=business

2. Brandon

Brandon Well-Known Member

While I can see tons of applications for this device, I am concerned about piracy issues.

Businesses and government could use this device to extract meaningful data from you. At the current time, this device seems to lack any security measures. A simple wave of the wand (read electronic reader) and all data from the chip is downloaded.

I would be hesitant to use this as soon as it comes into the market for consumers.

3. sushimonster

sushimonster Guest

Privacy concerns are really what erk me. I would be afraid they used the chip in a 1984-esque way. Big Brother may be watching.

4. palefrost

palefrost Well-Known Member

Well since they cant even seem to locate Osama i dont worry to much about giving them a little chip lol. You only as smart as the person using the item and from what I'm watching i dont give them that much credit! :p

5. LyricB

LyricB Well-Known Member

Isn't it a fine line between invading privacy and innovation? I know everyone gets worked up about those issues, but as for me I just think, "Hey, cool technology!" Maybe I should be more paranoid....

6. sarah

sarah Well-Known Member

Yeah, that is what gets me. I mean what are they going to use these for?
    but then again... I also agree with the comment about technology only being as good as the people controlling it.

7. LyricB

LyricB Well-Known Member

There seems to be such a great distrust for the government and privacy issues lately...does this all stem from post-9/11 security measures?

8. Brandon

Brandon Well-Known Member

Most likely! Citizens of America are trading in rights and freedoms in the hope of extra security.

9. sarah

sarah Well-Known Member

I think alot of the privacy concerns do stem from 9/11. We as a whole are willing to trade some rights for security, but now it seems to have gotten to a point where people are wondering where the line should be drawn.
    How much should we give up?