HORRORS!!! Obama Proposes DEFENSE-Spending CUTS!!

Just a few things, firstly, being an airplane nerd myself, the F-22 is the most amazing flying machine out there we could use a thousand of them. The manuevers it is capable of, throw in the supercruise ability, and then make it disappear from the radar screen, and there is nothing even close to it right now. One will shoot down 6 SU30s before they know what the heck is going on.

As for COPE INDIA, well there is no question we had our JV and C teams there. Also, the F-15Cs that were made to look like mere target drones now have the ability to have helmet mounted missle aiming capability, which is why the SU-30s were able to do what they did.

As for missile defense, much of it is based in my home state, and it was pointed out earlier that it would not defend against an attack from Russia, that is true to a certain extent. It wont be able to defend an all out attack, say 100 ICBMs coming over the pole. But it can defend and has been successful in shooting down I believe 3 or 4 incoming missiles at the same time.

As for cutting the military budget, well not sure what to say, except I remember that Cheney said Iraqi oil would be paying for this war. Id like to start collecting on that to start with. We also need to make sure we collect for all of the infastructure and public buildings we built for the Iraqis. They are sitting on a big surplus, and I think it might be time for a good ole Chicago shakedown.

I distinctly remember in 1999 an F-22 being shot down somewhere.

I was also under the impression that we had no long range missile capable of stopping an incoming ICBM. Has this changed?

As for getting Iraq to pay for the war, bad idea. Don't you remember Germany after WW1? The victors tried to get Germany to pay for the whole thing, and the result was crushing the nation until Hitler came to power. Let's not make the same mistake again.

Werbung:
I distinctly remember in 1999 an F-22 being shot down somewhere.
I am thinking you are talking about an F-117 that was downed in former Yugoslavia.

F-22s have not seen actual combat and only entered actual service in 2006 I believe. They are based
I was also under the impression that we had no long range missile capable of stopping an incoming ICBM. Has this changed?
Well a bunch of it is still classified, but in short, yes. But with several caveats. There is only a dozen or so interceptor missiles that are operational, and yes they are capable of shooting down an ICBM in outer space. While I dont think it is the end all be all, they have shown it to be viable in tests.

Back in October, my father and I drove up to Delta Junction AK, and shot a bison:D and nearby is Fort Greely where the NMD is largely based, and man I will say that security is tight in the area.
As for getting Iraq to pay for the war, bad idea. Don't you remember Germany after WW1? The victors tried to get Germany to pay for the whole thing, and the result was crushing the nation until Hitler came to power. Let's not make the same mistake again.
Ah come on Andy, you have said yourself that this was a liberation...and its no longer an occupation. Also, Germany isnt sitting on a sea of the most important strategic resource in the world, worth probably tens of trillions of dollars.
While I know the treaty of Versailles was a grand failure, and punishing Germany was probably the wrong thing to do, all I am asking is for the Iraqis to help pay for thier own liberation;)
We have companies to bail out, and universal health care to provide.

I am thinking you are talking about an F-117 that was downed in former Yugoslavia.

F-22s have not seen actual combat and only entered actual service in 2006 I believe.

Ah yes, you are correct. Somehow I doubt we'll be upgrading to F-22 sadly.

Ah come on Andy, you have said yourself that this was a liberation...and its no longer an occupation. Also, Germany isnt sitting on a sea of the most important strategic resource in the world, worth probably tens of trillions of dollars.
While I know the treaty of Versailles was a grand failure, and punishing Germany was probably the wrong thing to do, all I am asking is for the Iraqis to help pay for thier own liberation;)
We have companies to bail out, and universal health care to provide.

I guess in my view, they have. The Iraqis have paid for it with lives, paid for with money, and paid for it by dealing with the insurgents.

While we've lost under 4,500 troops in Iraq
Iraq has lost rough 50,000 people.

Last I read, Iraq has paid 3 times as much as the US in reconstruction costs.

And of course, we're not dealing with the violence they have.

Ah yes, you are correct. Somehow I doubt we'll be upgrading to F-22 sadly.
I think ultimately the move will be towards more UAVs. And we will see what the latest military budget included for them, but orders quietly doubled 2 years ago I believe. Elmendorf has a few dozen of them and they are amazing. Although I am not sure entirely. Just a few days after the inaguration there was a Russian incursion by 2 fighters and a "bear" type recon/intel collection plane. The raptors intercepted them easily and if ordered too, could have downed all three planes easily from beyond visual range.
I had the pleasure of seeing them at the airshow last summer. The Thunderbirds performed afterwards but were more or less outstaged by the F-22.

I guess in my view, they have. The Iraqis have paid for it with lives, paid for with money, and paid for it by dealing with the insurgents.

While we've lost under 4,500 troops in Iraq
Iraq has lost rough 50,000 people.

Last I read, Iraq has paid 3 times as much as the US in reconstruction costs.

And of course, we're not dealing with the violence they have.
I am tired tonight but will respond to this another time. Enjoy the video.

This one is actually a better video, taken from the ATC tower and with commentary and has a view point.

Werbung:
The maneuvers at roughly the 2minute mark, and then at 530, 630and 730 are all moves that probably no other production fighter is capable of, at those low of speeds anyways. The low speed high attitude move at 730 is what I found most impressive, that and the fact that it actually CLIMBED out of the maneuver is amazing. The Thunderbirds(F-16) do something similar, but at higher altitude, not nearly as slow, and have to return to level flight gaining airspeed before climbing away.

Back