1. Discuss politics - join our community by registering for free here! HOP - the political discussion forum

houseofpolitics.com helps small businesses help themselves

Discussion in 'Forum announcements' started by Walter, Jun 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Walter

Walter Administrator Staff Member

I want to you all to learn about Kiva - loans that change lives, a non-profit organisation that allows you to lend as little as $25 to a specific low-income entrepreneur in the developing world.

You choose who to lend to - whether a baker in Afghanistan, a goat herder in Uganda, a farmer in Peru, a restaurateur in Cambodia, or a tailor in Iraq - and as they repay their loan, you get your money back. It’s a powerful and sustainable way to empower someone right now to lift themselves out of poverty.

And, I personally invite three forum users to each redeem a $25 gift certificate issued by Kiva and already payed by me! How will it work? I will send you the gift certificat and you can redeem it at the Kiva site and loan it to any small business you like.
    If there are more than 3 persons interested in the gift certificates I will make a small drawing.

To be clear, I'm not affiliated with Kiva, I only like the idea. If you want you can visit my own Kiva page.

2. Edward-M

Edward-M New Member

I could try. You must have my e-mail :)

3. bewitched

bewitched Well-Known Member

I'm skeptical

4. Walter

Skeptical about what?
    About the idea in general? About getting the loan back? I already got my money two times back and Kiva isn't a fly-by-night-operation. Of course, lending money is always a risk but at $25 the risk is minimal.

5. ATXD

ATXD New Member

I'm interested. I saw this site on the news and I was curious to try it. Do you still have the gift certificates? If it works out well I will start making more loans.

6. Walter

Yes, still available. I'm waiting for more members :)

7. BigRob

BigRob Well-Known Member

This is a good idea. I've been doing this for 3 years now. It really makes a big difference for these people and I have never had one not be paid back.

8. roger2008

roger2008 Member

As government rules Small businesses are a crucial piece of the U.S. economy. Small business owners are an increasingly diverse lot, and no politician or party can satisfy the varying needs of over 25 million individuals.

9. Walter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.