1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Discuss politics - join our community by registering for free here! HOP - the political discussion forum

How do you feel about "Reparations"?

Discussion in 'U.S. Politics' started by Unite Our Nation, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Unite Our Nation

Unite Our Nation New Member

Are "reparations" in order? If so, why? If not, why?

How would those be handled so as to be fair?

If African Americans are due reparations, what about the other groups who were enslaved and used over history...are they due "reparations" too?

On part of this issue, obama said, "“It's a tragedy the Constitution wasn't radically reinterpreted to force the redistribution of wealth for African Americans...and it's still an issue today."

How do you feel about that sentiment and goal?

Let's try and keep this discussion civil okay? I really am interested in peoples thoughts and feelings, but name calling and making fun of another's viewpoint.

2. pocketfullofshells

pocketfullofshells Well-Known Member

land of 10,000 lakes and 2 senators again
    I am against them, it is charging others with the crimes of our parents. I dont belive in punishing illegal immigrants kids for the fact they parents came here against the law, when they have no choice and to belive that somehow whites owe money for the fact that great great grandparents did something is just as wrong.

Also who would figure out who gets what? My ancestors came from Ireland in like 1900-1920, after slavery, would I be exempt then?

I believe that there is still inequality, racism, sexism, and all that, and that it needs to be addressed. but the bigger issues are inner city schools needing to be reworked, more funding, and more jobs in the city's that can pay the bills...those are things that help many of the same people, but are things that help everyone nto based on race but on the problems people of all races are finding right now in those areas.

3. Libsmasher

Libsmasher New Member

Sending them back to where they came from, and are legal citizens, is not "punishing" them. US citizens don't deserve to be punished either for paying for everything for kids of illegal immigrants because their parents broke the law.

4. Libsmasher

Libsmasher New Member

Reparations would be just as irrational as "affirmative action" - making some people who are completely not responsible pay for the actions of others who are long gone.

5. pocketfullofshells

pocketfullofshells Well-Known Member

land of 10,000 lakes and 2 senators again
    and I did not say that it was, so good job fighting the straw man again.

6. Libsmasher

Libsmasher New Member

The "punishing kids" non-argument is used all the time by pro-illegal alien invasion advocates to mean "sending them back". What else could you possibly mean??