How evil some bigoted communities can be? Here is an example

Openmind

What do you think of this sign near a play ground in a very conservative community in Dlaware?

Nothing unusual, right?

But, if you can read Spanish, it is highly unusual and nasty.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/01/05/1176645/-Outrage-in-Delaware

What about our equal rghts?

Do you believe that if your child has a friend who is a spanish speaker, anyone has rhe right to intimidate that child with the threat of "police action" if he plays on the play ground equipment?

Werbung:
What do you think of this sign near a play ground in a very conservative community in Dlaware?

Nothing unusual, right?

But, if you can read Spanish, it is highly unusual and nasty.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/01/05/1176645/-Outrage-in-Delaware

What about our equal rghts?

Do you believe that if your child has a friend who is a spanish speaker, anyone has rhe right to intimidate that child with the threat of "police action" if he plays on the play ground equipment?

I guess I will point out the obvious....the sign is terrible and should be taken down....but if the residents of the town spoke English, it would not be an issue.

I guess I will point out the obvious....the sign is terrible and should be taken down....but if the residents of the town spoke English, it would not be an issue.

i see the "journalist" didnt feel the need to ask the town about it.
fair and balanced ?

I'm not sure that, even if EVERY resident of the town spoke English, the Hispanic population wouldn't feel threatened anyway, es.pecially kids!
But I agree that the sign should be taken down, and that is what has been decided. The sign will be replace by a complete sign in both language. . .because it actually didn't give all the information for "English speaking only" residents either.

You see, the top of the sign (in English) was for the play ground only. The bottom of the sign (in Spanish only) was a sign to not trespass for another area of the play ground that did REQUIRE a permit for EVERYONE. However, the English who didn't read Spanish would not have been aware of the requirement for a permit to use the other part of the play ground, and the Hispanic only saw the bottom sign, which made them believe that the WHOLE of the playground was off limit without a permit

Now, anyone who had followed the link and read the whole article would have known the whole story. . .just a test. . .especially for the "blamer in chief" in this forum, who obviously had to turn his blame on "the journalist!"

Well, Dear Doggie, the journalist did his job very well! In fact, some people were so offended by this sign, that they thought it could only be a "fake," but even a CONSERVATIVE journalist went and investigated, and took pictures at different time of the days. And the town has agreed to replace that sign by a COMPLETE sign that everyone can read.

You assume soooo much, dear doggie!

I'm not sure that, even if EVERY resident of the town spoke English, the Hispanic population wouldn't feel threatened anyway, es.pecially kids!
But I agree that the sign should be taken down, and that is what has been decided. The sign will be replace by a complete sign in both language. . .because it actually didn't give all the information for "English speaking only" residents either.

You see, the top of the sign (in English) was for the play ground only. The bottom of the sign (in Spanish only) was a sign to not trespass for another area of the play ground that did REQUIRE a permit for EVERYONE. However, the English who didn't read Spanish would not have been aware of the requirement for a permit to use the other part of the play ground, and the Hispanic only saw the bottom sign, which made them believe that the WHOLE of the playground was off limit without a permit

Now, anyone who had followed the link and read the whole article would have known the whole story. . .just a test. . .especially for the "blamer in chief" in this forum, who obviously had to turn his blame on "the journalist!"

Well, Dear Doggie, the journalist did his job very well! In fact, some people were so offended by this sign, that they thought it could only be a "fake," but even a CONSERVATIVE journalist went and investigated, and took pictures at different time of the days. And the town has agreed to replace that sign by a COMPLETE sign that everyone can read.

oh so it was you who chose to ignore it. gotcha.

Why did any of it need to be in Spanish? If I moved to China, I wouldn't go around expecting to be catered to in English...I would learn Chinese.

Why did any of it need to be in Spanish? If I moved to China, I wouldn't go around expecting to be catered to in English...I would learn Chinese.

mainly because the illegals typically eschew it.
Walmart understands this as do many retailers etc.

large_bigwalmart.jpg

Do you really think we are the only country in the world that deal with foreign speakers?
Come on, Big Rob, you have traveled outside the US. . .don't tell me that you haven't seen signs in two or even three languages all over the countries you visited! I know I have!

And China (as well as Japan) have made huge efforts to welcome foreign speakers (especially English speaking speakers) in their countries.

eupen.jpg

Do you really think we are the only country in the world that deal with foreign speakers?
Come on, Big Rob, you have traveled outside the US. . .don't tell me that you haven't seen signs in two or even three languages all over the countries you visited! I know I have!

And China (as well as Japan) have made huge efforts to welcome foreign speakers (especially English speaking speakers) in their countries.

eupen.jpg

I have indeed seen the signs in multiple languages...but that is not the issue. I don't have any problem with that. But that is a different issue than small town Delaware posting signs in random parks in multiple languages.

I am all for welcoming people into this country from anywhere...but if they are going to live here (and by all accounts the people around these parks lived here), they ought to learn the language...same as if we moved there.

I have indeed seen the signs in multiple languages...but that is not the issue. I don't have any problem with that. But that is a different issue than small town Delaware posting signs in random parks in multiple languages.

I am all for welcoming people into this country from anywhere...but if they are going to live here (and by all accounts the people around these parks lived here), they ought to learn the language...same as if we moved there.

However, it takes time to "learn a language!" I know. . .I had to lean English at the age of 21.

It doesn't hurt anyone to have an exposure to a foreign language. In fact, it would help a LOT Of our kids to be exposed to Spanish very early!
The fact is that one of the reason second generation Hispanics are doing so well and climbing the social ladder more quickly than many of our poor "White" or "Black" Americans is BECAUSE they know two languages!

At equal qualifications, someone knowing two (or more) languages will ALWAYS have an advantage over people speaking and understanding only one language. And we are NOT doing ourselves any favor by being so insular in terms of learning foreign languages.

And this is not new! Do you realize that to be granted Phi Beta Kappa, one of the criteria is to be fluent in at least two languages?

However, it takes time to "learn a language!" I know. . .I had to lean English at the age of 21.

Certainly it doesn't happen overnight -- but it doesn't take years either....especially with full immersion.

It doesn't hurt anyone to have an exposure to a foreign language. In fact, it would help a LOT Of our kids to be exposed to Spanish very early!
The fact is that one of the reason second generation Hispanics are doing so well and climbing the social ladder more quickly than many of our poor "White" or "Black" Americans is BECAUSE they know two languages!

At equal qualifications, someone knowing two (or more) languages will ALWAYS have an advantage over people speaking and understanding only one language. And we are NOT doing ourselves any favor by being so insular in terms of learning foreign languages.

And this is not new! Do you realize that to be granted Phi Beta Kappa, one of the criteria is to be fluent in at least two languages?

No argument here...people should learn multiple languages. For my degree I was required to be fluent in another language. I did German. Since then I have been dabbling in Spanish (slowly). All of that is fine...but the point remains in my opinion...if you are going to live somewhere...learn the language.

it also doesn't hurt that they work harder, are more reliable and glad of the opportunity.
but it applies less so to third generation as the industry of their parents and grandparents is on the wane by then.

Certainly it doesn't happen overnight -- but it doesn't take years either....especially with full immersion.

No argument here...people should learn multiple languages. For my degree I was required to be fluent in another language. I did German. Since then I have been dabbling in Spanish (slowly). All of that is fine...but the point remains in my opinion...if you are going to live somewhere...learn the language.

there is a notable difference between the immigrants back in the Ellis Island days and now. They made a greater point of becoming americans than now. lots of reasons for that but it sure causes the melting pot to not work.

Werbung:
there is a notable difference between the immigrants back in the Ellis Island days and now. They made a greater point of becoming americans than now. lots of reasons for that but it sure causes the melting pot to not work.

I think you are wrong again!
MANY immigrants never learned English during the first generation, but they made sure that their children learned English. I actually have neighbors whose mother was a second generation Polish woman, and she still spoke Polish at the age of 98, when she passed away in their home, because that is the only language that was spoken by her parents in her home on Long Island. Her parents NEVER learned to speak a word of English.
Another neighbor is Porto Rican, and has been in this country for 51 years, and she still has a STRONG Spanish accent. . .although she speaks good English.
I have been in this country for 41 years, and I still have a strong French accent, although I went to College in the US and obtained my Master degree right here.

It is obvious that, illegal immigrants, and even legal immigrants living in closed communities (such as migrant farm workers) have little to no opportunities to learn English, between working in the fields from early morning to late evening among 95% other Spanish workers, and being ostracized by the "English speaking" community that takes advantage of the low cost labor. But their children have access to school where they learn, and it is a great source of pride for their parents.

And those children tend to grow up to be high achiever, to be the first in their family to obtain a college degree, and to demonstrate the STRONG work ethic they have grown up with.

I have NOTHING but great admiration for first generation immigrants, as I KNOW how hard it is to leave one's country and to transplant into an unfriendly, judgmental country that looks at you as an unwanted outsider. And I have the advantage of not "looking" foreign, so until I open my mouth, I do not suffer from the stupid bigotry of too many people. In fact, even when I do open my mouth, I am always treated with more curiosity (because of my French accent) than what most Hispanic people have to suffer: contempt.

And still, the first time I "dare" to think I could enter a college program (junior college), I didn't open my mouth in a classroom for almost a month, I was so afraid of being laughed at or rejected for my "arrogance" at thinking that someone with such a strong foreign accent could possibly believe that she had any chance to succeed in an American College. It is only after my English professor returned my first paper and read it aloud in the class room that I answered one of his question aloud. . .and he was as surprised as the rest of my classmates, because he had been impressed by my paper, and had NO IDEA that I was not an English speaker.

I wonder how many in this forum speak and write a foreign language fluently? Another area where the rest of the world is leaving us behind! Do you realize that, in Belgium, to graduate from high school with the degree that allows you to enter into higher education institute or in an university, you must speak 3 languages? Some of my nephews speak as many as five languages (French, Flemish, Italian, English, and German!).

Yep. . .you can look down on "immigrants who don't even speak English" all you want. . .they have more courage, work ethic, and smart in their "foreign head" than many of the native population here!

Back