How many aircraft carriers do we need?

PLC1

Staff member
How many aircraft carriers does the US have?
The U.S. Navy operates 19 ships that could be called aircraft carriers, but only considers 10 to be actual carriers. Last week the U.S. Navy accepted USS America, first of the America-class amphibious assault ships, into service.Apr 16, 2014

The Ford is the lead ship of new class of aircraft carriers, the first new variant since the Nimitz-class was introduced in 1975. Construction began on theFord in 2005 and the ship was christened in 2013. As it currently stands the carrier will be the most expensive warship the United States has ever built.Jul 22, 2017
https://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/americas-new-13-billion-aircraft-carrier-is-still-far-1797119016
https://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/americas-new-13-billion-aircraft-carrier-is-still-far-1797119016
America's New $13 Billion Aircraft Carrier Is Still Far From Ready

https://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/americas-new-13-billion-aircraft-carrier-is-still-far-179...

Meanwhile:

Russia's Only Aircraft Carrier Is Doomed
" data-reactid="23" style="margin-bottom: 1em; font-family: Georgia, "Times New Roman", serif; font-size: 18px;">Russia's Only Aircraft Carrier Is Doomed

Admiral Kuznetsov, is in big trouble." data-reactid="24" style="margin-bottom: 1em; font-family: Georgia, "Times New Roman", serif; font-size: 18px;">Russia’s only aircraft carrier, the aging Admiral Kuznetsov, is in big trouble.

source

China has launched a new aircraft carrier in the latest sign of its growing military strength.

It is the country's second aircraft carrier, after the Liaoning, and the first to be made domestically.

The as-yet unnamed ship was transferred into the water in the north-eastern port of Dalian, state media said. It will reportedly be operational by 2020.

It comes amid heated rhetoric between the US and North Korea and ongoing tensions in the South China Sea.

source

and yet we hear of how the military has been depleted under Democratic rule....

How many aircraft carriers do we need, when China has two and Russia is about to have none at all?

Just wondering, just like I wonder whether we really need to spend so much on the military. What do you think?

Werbung:
How many aircraft carriers do we need, when China has two and Russia is about to have none at all?

Just wondering, just like I wonder whether we really need to spend so much on the military. What do you think?

About 10 times as many as we now have , and about 10 times as much as we are spending now.

BTW, the carrier now being built were approved of by Obama in spite of the lies told by Trump.

I think PR was happy we had one to spare.
The world i s still a big place and nothing allo we you to project power like these ships.

My thoughts are along the lines of can the US/Navy afford to lose a carrier of this size?
Is the doctrine upon which these machines are based valid any longer?
Has technology rendered them obsolete? Good question. If it has, we'll no doubt continue to pour billions into them anyway in order to keep freedom safe, or keep America safe, or at least line the pockets of whoever it is that makes them.

Has technology rendered them obsolete?
To some extent I was thinking along the lines of the types of wars that these machines were designed for, principally, in the first and second world wars where opposing fleets were going toe to toe with each other and where long range surveillance was only possible with aircraft. The last time a carrier was used to any (meaningful) extent was during Vietnam and that was questionable; although it gave the Navy a foot in a land war it wasn't really needed. Today's conflicts are essentially low tech insurgencies and given the range and make-up of the force packages on board I would imagine that they are of marginal use nowadays. To be honest I think these things are legacy items which bring kudos to the service but little else.

The technology on board these machines is pretty amazing but what do you need DEWS for if you are facing an afghani on a moped with an IED?

To some extent I was thinking along the lines of the types of wars that these machines were designed for, principally, in the first and second world wars where opposing fleets were going toe to toe with each other and where long range surveillance was only possible with aircraft. The last time a carrier was used to any (meaningful) extent was during Vietnam and that was questionable; although it gave the Navy a foot in a land war it wasn't really needed. Today's conflicts are essentially low tech insurgencies and given the range and make-up of the force packages on board I would imagine that they are of marginal use nowadays. To be honest I think these things are legacy items which bring kudos to the service but little else.

The technology on board these machines is pretty amazing but what do you need DEWS for if you are facing an afghani on a moped with an IED?
May not want to confuse police actions with maintaining peace in the world. If you need to deliver shock and awe, aircraft carriers are most helpful.

Werbung:
Here's another thought I have...
Trump vowed that the newest generation of “Ford Class” carriers - the most expensive warships ever built - will remain the centerpiece of projecting American power abroad.
“We’re going to soon have more coming,” Trump told an enthusiastic audience of sailors.....
The trouble with that hypothesis is that at the moment the US is undecided and in some cases pulling out of international treaties and internation trading pacts. If the US wants to project power then what role does the negotiating table take. Do you move from threat straight to response without the diplomatic resolve first? Its' one thing to have the stick but if all you have is the stick then one limits ones options?

Back