Hurricane Gustav threatens GOP convention

Popeye

Tropical Storm Gustav is already wreaking havoc with the Republican convention plans next week, as it moves toward the Gulf Coast. And the storm’s gathering strength can only serve as a vivid reminder of the Bush administration’s much crticized, delayed response to the devastation wrought by Hurricane Katrina, which slammed into New Orleans three years ago this Friday.

Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal, who was scheduled to speak at the Republican convention next Tuesday the day the storm may hit land has already declared a state of emergency. The predicted path of the storm at this point suggests it could make land fall in New Orleans, again.

Things could get real interesting. I'm sure if you're a Pub, the last thing you want the American public reminded of, during your convention, is Katrina.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/8/26/135217/293

Werbung:
you seem so excited about it

Any potential excitement is tempered by the thought that the poor people of New Orleans and the surrounding area may suffer again. However, you have to admit that if Gustav does indeed hit, a whole new dynamic will have been added to this convention season.

Tropical Storm Gustav is already wreaking havoc with the Republican convention plans next week, as it moves toward the Gulf Coast. And the storm’s gathering strength can only serve as a vivid reminder of the Bush administration’s much crticized, delayed response to the devastation wrought by Hurricane Katrina, which slammed into New Orleans three years ago this Friday.

Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal, who was scheduled to speak at the Republican convention next Tuesday the day the storm may hit land has already declared a state of emergency. The predicted path of the storm at this point suggests it could make land fall in New Orleans, again.

Things could get real interesting. I'm sure if you're a Pub, the last thing you want the American public reminded of, during your convention, is Katrina.

What was Bush supposed to do? I recall the night after Katrina Tom Brokaw was standing in the street saying "we dodged a bullet". No one knew the levees would break. And add to that, that state needs to take responsibility for the levees. They have totally failed to do so, and continue to fail to do so.

I find it interesting that we all want to blame the Republicans for Katrina, when the state government and local governments which completely failed to have any plans in place (which are required by law) were democrats.

What was Bush supposed to do? I recall the night after Katrina Tom Brokaw was standing in the street saying "we dodged a bullet". No one knew the levees would break. And add to that, that state needs to take responsibility for the levees. They have totally failed to do so, and continue to fail to do so.

I find it interesting that we all want to blame the Republicans for Katrina, when the state government and local governments which completely failed to have any plans in place (which are required by law) were democrats.

Today the news said they found shreaded news paper in a levee (wierd spelling, but Im copying you Rob) where some plastic sealing should have been, but they didnt do what they should have. They still have not fixed them. The state has the money and had the money before katrina.

but this time there is a Govenor who actually has a brain cell, so no matter what nothing will be like it was before.

I had to read this thread being that I live in St Paul, where the convetion is...and we dont get Hurricans.....:)

apparently with any luck New Orleans will get hit again during the republican convention and some how this will be good for dems. and ruin the convention for the horid beasts we call repugs or was it repukes hmm i forget that particular insult but it was something good and i am sure worthy

I had to read this thread being that I live in St Paul, where the convetion is...and we dont get Hurricans.....:)

If Gustav were to hit the Gulf Coast during the GOP convention, the American public will be reminded of scenes like this one...Bush and McCain eating cake and celebrating McCain's birthday on the very day Katrina hit.

slide_155_0.jpg

If Gustav were to hit the Gulf Coast during the GOP convention, the American public will be reminded of scenes like this one...Bush and McCain eating cake and celebrating McCain's birthday on the very day Katrina hit. The complete lack of a ready response by the Bush administration is something the Pubs don't want the American people to remember. Particularly since McCain=Bush and more of the same

slide_155_0.jpg

Mate of mine is on holiday in Jamaica and just been told by the hotel staff to pile his mattress against the window and sleep in his bath. He didn't like that idea, last thing he told he me was that he was off to raid the bar and then go for a good blow job :D

Love it. The Libs are lining up with their typical compassion, just hoping and praying for a devastating tragedy to occur so that they can literally dance on the figurative graves of the victims. All in the name of the "See? See? See?" hyperbole of blaming every ill that falls on U.S. on Bush. Since the Mayor of New Orleans nor the Governor of the state of Louisiana had called for evacuation, much of the human tragedy lies squarely at their feet. But we won't bother you with facts.

POINT - Gov. Blanco also had declared a state of emergency days prior to landfall early in the afternoon on August 26. A Friday, less than 72 hours prior to landfall.

POINT - By 10:00 a.m. on Saturday, only 3 Parishes in New Orleans were under mandatory evacuation by their officials. Less than 48 hours to landfall.

POINT - By 5:00 p.m. Gov. Blanco sends a letter to President Bush, requesting a major disaster declaration for Louisiana. He responds with a declaration of a federal state of emergency. About 37 hours to landfall.

POINT - 10:00 a.m. Sunday, August 29, Mayor Nagin finally declared a mandatory evacuation of parish of Orleans. This is after a briefing he, Gov. Blanco, Gov. Barber (MS), and Bush had from Max Mayfield, Director, National Hurricane Center at least 12 hours earlier.

SIDE NOTE: Gov. Blanco said that Pres. Bush had called her just before Nagin's news conference, concerned about the storms impact and asking her "to please ensure that there would be a mandatory evacuation of New Orleans." Yep, sounds like an unconcerned, oblivious President to me....

POINT - With flooding already occurring in outlying areas, Katrina official makes landfall at 6:10 a.m., nearly bulls eye to the location NHC had projected on Friday night.

One bit of irony after the storm hit - Gov. Blanco on Monday afternoon (at or around 3:00 p.m.) ordered 68 school buses into New Orleans from surrounding parishes to begin evacuating any survivors that remained in the city. The irony is that there were school buses sitting unused, many ruined, that could have been used to evacuate people prior to the devastating landfill and resulting flooding.

And Mayor Nagin's response when he "found out" about the buses over 6 months later? “Someone at the White House should have given the order to use those school buses to evacuate the city before Katrina hit,” said the Mayor, who is the top local government official in New Orleans. “It makes me ill to think that the federal government failed to intervene to save these people. George Bush had plenty of time, and he did nothing.”

Duhhh... Mayor, did you NOT think of checking ALL your local resources for evacuation yourself? Wasn't that in your "plan" that you'd not formulated yet? A good example of the old saying: "Be careful who you point your finger at, for you've three more pointing at yourself."

I'm a Conservative who typically aligns with Republicans and/or Libertarians. The last thing I want is to see ANY hurricane devastate ANY location. It will happen, and if this is where Gustav heads, so be it. Whether or not during the convention, the only reason it bothers me is that it will reduce the wall-to-wall talking heads in the media will show us their typical objectiveness.

NOTIFICATION TO MODS AND ADMIN, IF YOU WANT TO BAN ME FOR THIS, THAT'LL BE JUST FINE WITH ME!

Popeye you ****ING TROLL! I went through Katrina, IN New Orleans, not because we didn't "want" to leave, but because we COULDN'T leave. My elderly mother had just undergone major surgery only days before the storm hit and was unable to be moved. I lost 3 good friends to that storm, one of whom I had known since we were 6 years old.

Now, having said all of that, you ****ING PATHETIC PIECE OF ****, the problems in New Orleans were the fault of that ****ing CUNT Blanco, and that complete ****ing asshole ****** Nagan. It was THEIR responsiblity to ORDER the evacuation of the city, and they FAILED TO DO SO in time. Interstate 10, Interstate 55, and Interstate 59 were completely choked with cars when the storm hit, and some people actually had to ride it out IN THEIR CARS, ON THE INTERSTATE you unbelievable MINDLESS PIECE OF ****!!

**** YOU AND THE WHORE YOU RODE INTO TOWN IN! For GOD'S SAKE, why don't you pull your head OUT OF YOUR ASS once in a while and THINK before you write such STUPID ****ING **** you WORTHLESS SON OF A SIBERIAN SABERTOOTHED COCKSUCKER!!

Werbung:
Not a Conservative, nor Liberal.

How many times must the people who are elected to make decisions in the New Orleans area see the folly of building a city lower than sea level in an area prone to hurricanes? The levee breaks, they rebuild it, it breaks again, they rebuild it. On the other hand, a few have gotten the message and rebuilt their homes elevated on stilts. Just rebuilding the levies are a fool's solution. New Orleans could be rebuilt with all the buildings elevated, or it could become the Venice of the South, fill with stone for foundations for the buildings, and make the streets canals. At the worst, build houses on pontoons so that they elevate during times of flood. Or, if these solutions are unpalatable, relocate the city elsewhere.

All those proposed solutions would be very expensive, but then how expensive was the last disaster in terms of human life lost and disrupted and property damage?

Back