Hype sells!

PLC1

Staff member
Right wing rant radio, calling itself "conservative" radio for the most part, sees a great opportunity to make money by selling hype.

For Conservative Radio, It’s a New Dawn, Too

Amid all the pressures on the radio industry, news-talk stations see an opportunity — and his name is Barack Obama.
After eight years of playing defense for President Bush, the conservatives who dominate talk radio are back on offense.

I'm not sure just why a conservative would find it necessary to defend Bush. Maybe it depends on their definition of the term "conservative."

Hours after Mr. Obama’s election, the country’s most popular radio host, Rush Limbaugh, was talking about the “rebirth of principled opposition.”

As opposed to unprincipled opposition, of course, to such as Bush's inadvisable and costly war for example.

Mr. Limbaugh’s landmark contract, announced in July, promised a total of $400 million through 2016.

A hundred mil a year for the next four years!:eek: Hype does sell, doesn't it?

I suppose if there were a radio station that only broadcast reason, logic, fact, and truth, no one would listen and it would go off of the air. I've never heard such a program, have you?

Werbung:
The way I see it; the only reason we don't have any honest politicians is because no one would vote for them.

It is odd that they would be democrats. Such a rare thing, yet I know one too. James Traficant was amazing. He should have been president.

It is odd that they would be democrats. Such a rare thing, yet I know one too. James Traficant was amazing. He should have been president.

I trust your judgement so wow that is three

and I honestly cant name one republican that I would fully trust like I could 2 dems.

I remember Traficant slightly but not enough to say I know I could trust him, what became of him?

I know that Harold Ford Jr lost his seat, I hope he comes back to politics some day, and Peter DeFazio is just....well to put it bluntly, he is short and no one would vote for a short balding man for president though he would be pretty good.

Right wing rant radio, calling itself "conservative" radio for the most part, sees a great opportunity to make money by selling hype.

They are selling the same thing they always have. This is nothing new.

I'm not sure just why a conservative would find it necessary to defend Bush. Maybe it depends on their definition of the term "conservative."

Conservative is anyone right of the liberal establishment.

As opposed to unprincipled opposition, of course, to such as Bush's inadvisable and costly war for example.

A costly war thats a mere fraction of what Obama wants to spend.

A hundred mil a year for the next four years!:eek: Hype does sell, doesn't it?

Limbaugh is self employed. That amount will go to maintaining the business, all his equipment and his studio, as well as him getting a cut. It's still a very large amount, but given he made talk radio what it is, I would expect that.

I suppose if there were a radio station that only broadcast reason, logic, fact, and truth, no one would listen and it would go off of the air. I've never heard such a program, have you?

If you ask Conservatives, they'd say Limbaugh is that show. If you ask liberals, Olbermann is. Typically, your world view will somewhat dictate what you consider truth, and thus anyone with a differing version of 'truth', you'll consider wrong, and not based on facts. Facts being what fits your pre-conceived world view.

If you ask Conservatives, they'd say Limbaugh is that show. If you ask liberals, Olbermann is. Typically, your world view will somewhat dictate what you consider truth, and thus anyone with a differing version of 'truth', you'll consider wrong, and not based on facts. Facts being what fits your pre-conceived world view.

Facts are demonstrable, and don't depend on anyone's world view. Opinions depend on one's views, and have to be supported by facts if they are to have any credibility at all.

Neither the left wing nor the right wing rant radio is about facts, logic, reason, or anything even resembling a rational debate. It is pure hype and drivel, with a few valid points here and there, if you're willing to sort it all out.

Unfortunately, there are all too many who listen uncritically and swallow whatever implausible and unpalatable pap is thrown to them.

Example from the left wing rant, which, for some reason, doesn't sell as well:
Randi Rhodes, on Hurricane Katrina, went on and on blaming Bush for the hurricane. Now, that's certainly not based on fact, logic, or any reasonable view.

Example from the right wing, which does sell, so there is a lot more of it:

Blaming the recession on president elect Obama.
Ranting about how a large ice berg, that broke away from Antarctica due to global warming, is proof that there is no global warming since there still are huge chunks of ice in the ocean.

Not fact, logic, and reason, no, but hype and drivel, swallowed whole by unthinking and uncritical people, who, unfortunately, vote.

People say they want the truth. What they really want is what they believe to be true to be the truth. If what someone believes is a lie, they want to be told the lie they believe in is the truth.

I promise to lower your taxes, increase military spending, and be fiscally responsible in the middle of two wars.

People say they want the truth. What they really want is what they believe to be true to be the truth. If what someone believes is a lie, they want to be told the lie they believe in is the truth.

I promise to lower your taxes, increase military spending, and be fiscally responsible in the middle of two wars.

Exactly. People want to hear what they already believe. As for the truth, to paraphrase a famous movie line:

They can't handle the truth!

Ranting about how a large ice berg, that broke away from Antarctica due to global warming, is proof that there is no global warming since there still are huge chunks of ice in the ocean.

You mentioned Randi Rhodes for the left.... Exactly who on the right said the recession was Obama's fault? Oh thats right... the Left said the Right was saying that.... The Mic Jocks on the Right blamed the drop in the market, after the election, on market uncertainty due to Obama's win... because nobody knew if he would stay true to his word and stick it to those with money in the market by doubling their taxes on dividends. I've never heard any of the Microphone jockeys on the Right blame Obama for the entire recession.... but I've heard plenty on the Left claim that they do.

Which Mic Jockey on the Right said that because a piece of iceberg fell off, THAT was definitive proof there was no global warming because there was still ice in the ocean? None that I've ever heard....

Its kinda like the whole "They are calling us unpatriotic for not supporting the war!!!" even though no prominent member of the Right actually said any such thing.... and now here we are with the Left, members of Congress in particular, actually saying that ANYONE who is against the bailouts is being unpatriotic... and using the actual word unpatriotic.

Facts are demonstrable, and don't depend on anyone's world view. Opinions depend on one's views, and have to be supported by facts if they are to have any credibility at all.

Like Enron which had one of their biggest failures, a power plant in India, get it's go ahead through connections with the Clinton administration, which pressured the Indian government to accept the contract. Yet who was blamed when Enron failed? Bush was, and when it came out that Bush did nothing for them, people blamed him for *not* doing something.

What's my point? My point is that in some peoples world views, democrats are not for big business, and republicans are. Therefore, when Enron crash, it couldn't have anything to do with democrats, and must have had something to do with republicans. The people who said one side, were accepted as truth, even though reality was clearly different.

Facts should be demonstrable and objective. But this is politics. There are people here who have been pounded for months, even years, about the facts of specific issues, and to no effect. For example, the Rockefeller report proved conclusively that Bush didn't lie about Iraq. The information at the time, suggested exactly what he said. Nevertheless, try and explain these "facts" to Top Gun, and you might as well be talking to a wall.

Facts didn't stop you in your Mothersday thread, did it? It fit your world view of what republicans were about, so thus you didn't bother to fact check the article. Right?

Neither the left wing nor the right wing rant radio is about facts, logic, reason, or anything even resembling a rational debate. It is pure hype and drivel, with a few valid points here and there, if you're willing to sort it all out.

It's true that it is opinion based, and logically since that's what most talk shows are. The host is talking about whatever he feels like.

That said, back when I used to listen to Rush, I can remember liberals getting on the show, and I can't even pick one time when they didn't resort to name calling, and blabbering about Rush being fat. Now given that anyone can call in, if there was a rational opposing side to whatever issue was being discussed, then why didn't they present it? Why did they go to lame attacks?

Unfortunately, there are all too many who listen uncritically and swallow whatever implausible and unpalatable pap is thrown to them.

I will agree with that. When I was young, I was a major liberal. Anti-business, pro-gun control, and save the planet, evil CFCs, and on and on. Then I started thinking, which is why I'm no longer liberal. Not sure how that is talk radios fault, given how often the mass media has been wrong about so many things.

Oh please... the list of things blamed on Bush is endless. Lets start with the sub-prime melt down, caused by legislation to increase minority home ownership under Clinton. It sells very well.

I've never heard that. I have heard that the policies he supports could cause it.

I have not heard this. Some scientists theorized that the massive ice berg that broke off, could possibly move northward, and just by it's sheer size, cool waters enough to effect global climate. In theory, causing global cooling. Perhaps you heard someone comment on that on the radio, I don't know.

Most of the time when I hear people start whining about talk radio saying false things, it's normally the host simply commenting on what someone else has said. I remember when some CEOs of banks complained about the cost of student loans. Rush commented on it, and people came out of the woodwork to attack him on how student loans are government subsidized and therefore have no cost. Yet Rush was simply saying what the CEO banker guy said.

Not fact, logic, and reason, no, but hype and drivel, swallowed whole by unthinking and uncritical people, who, unfortunately, vote.

Not unlike someone who reads ThinkProgress, and believes republicans would vote against Mothersday.

The point is, there are going to be those people on both sides. I would suggest there are far more false reporting by the mass media, than by a fraction of the population that listens to talk radio.

You mentioned Randi Rhodes for the left.... Exactly who on the right said the recession was Obama's fault?

It was this guy, for one.

RUSH: The Obama recession is in full swing, ladies and gentlemen. Stocks are dying, which is a precursor of things to come. This is an Obama recession. Might turn into a depression. He hasn't done anything yet but his ideas are killing the economy.

Oh thats right... the Left said the Right was saying that....

Nope. See above. "The Obama recession is in full swing." Perfect example of hype and drivel.

The Mic Jocks on the Right blamed the drop in the market, after the election, on market uncertainty due to Obama's win... because nobody knew if he would stay true to his word and stick it to those with money in the market by doubling their taxes on dividends. I've never heard any of the Microphone jockeys on the Right blame Obama for the entire recession.... but I've heard plenty on the Left claim that they do.

Don't listen to what "those on the left" say about "those on the right." Go straight to the horse's mouth (careful: You might just get the wrong end.)

Which Mic Jockey on the Right said that because a piece of iceberg fell off, THAT was definitive proof there was no global warming because there was still ice in the ocean? None that I've ever heard....

That was the same "Mic Jockey". I heard him say it myself.

Its kinda like the whole "They are calling us unpatriotic for not supporting the war!!!" even though no prominent member of the Right actually said any such thing.... and now here we are with the Left, members of Congress in particular, actually saying that ANYONE who is against the bailouts is being unpatriotic... and using the actual word unpatriotic.

Actually, it's a whole lot more like saying that the rant radio hosts are selling hype and drivel to a willing American public. That was the point I was making, not whether some "right" or "left" leaning individual was right or wrong.

Are you now going to try to show evidence that rant radio is actually delivering information based on fact, logic, empirical evidence and reason? Good luck with that.;)

Werbung:
Back