1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Discuss politics - join our community by registering for free here! HOP - the political discussion forum

I feel safer already!

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by Onion Eater, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Onion Eater

Onion Eater Member

Climate change even worse than predicted: expert

"Tropical forests are essentially inflammable. You couldn't get a fire to burn there if you tried. But if they dry out just a little bit, the result can be very large and destructive wildfires. We don't want to cross a critical threshold where this massive release of carbon starts to run on autopilot," said Field, a professor of biology and of environmental Earth system science at Stanford University.

Scary stuff! Good thing Professor Field is on the job!

Unfortunately, a quick trip to the dictionary raises even more cause for concern:

Inflamable Adjective. Easily ignited and capable of burning rapidly; flammable.

Seriously, I don't want to downplay the threat to the environment. It probably is true that increased forest fires (even in those inflammable tropical regions) and the melting of arctic tundra may accellerate global warming. But I couldn't help poking some fun at Professor Field. They sure do talk good English at Stanford! It are a required subject, you know.

2. PLC1

PLC1 Moderator Staff Member

The unfortunate substitution of "inflammable" for "non flammable" will, of course, bring on a chorus of ridicule from the wishful thinkers who say that global climate change is not real.

Here is another source to back that one up.

I spent two years in the rain forest in Bolivia, in part of the Amazon Basin, and I can assure you t hat it would have been impossible to start a wildfire there using the best techniques available to pyromaniacs.

It's possible that Richard Black visited a drier part, but the part I know could not have been burned up with gasoline. It was simply too wet.

3. PredFan

PredFan New Member

Global Warming is a complete scam.

Al Gore's hair is inflammable, but his brain has not a spark.

4. PLC1

PLC1 Moderator Staff Member

Does that mean you're of the climate change isn't happening at all school of thought, or the it is happening, but isn't anthropogenic school of thought?