If we adopted Canada's national health care system, where would sick Canadians go?

You dont have to model your system on anything thats been done before. At least Canada can care for its poorest citizens health.

Werbung:
I think that the goal should be to get everyone insured, not to get everyone on a government health care plan.

Since government is very rarely the solution to anything, you are right.

I would challenge all of these folks who believe government is the answer to our problems to list a few government programs that have been stellar successes with no unforseen consequences that made the problems that they were supposed to fix worse, or added a whole new set of problems on top of those that they weren't able to fix in the first place.

This is our health after all, and in many cases, will be a matter of life and death. It simply isn't rational to put such faith in an entity to solve the problem when they simply do not have a history of being able to solve problems but have a long history of making problems worse.

That's what I've been saying all along. The government does very few things well and virtually everything it touches becomes slow, expensive, inefficient, and bureaucratic. To put this in charge of your health is suicidal.

That's what I've been saying all along. The government does very few things well and virtually everything it touches becomes slow, expensive, inefficient, and bureaucratic. To put this in charge of your health is suicidal.

There is a reason that liberals are known as the kings of unintended consequences and this is a prime example of why.

I made a challenge for any of those who think government programs are good to list a few that have actually solved the problems they set out to solve without making them worse or causing a whole new set of problems and don't see anyone stepping up to the plate to answer the challenge.

I will wager that all of those who aren't stepping up still believe that government admistrated healthcare is a good idea. If you can't point out successful government programs (and there are tens of thousands from which to choose), on what rational basis do you believe that government healthcare would be different?

Well we know the military is a massive waste of money. However, except during times of Republican crony adminstration of programs, many agencies perform quite well.

Get the for profit waste out of healthcare.

Here are some.

There is a reason that liberals are known as the kings of unintended consequences and this is a prime example of why.

I made a challenge for any of those who think government programs are good to list a few that have actually solved the problems they set out to solve without making them worse or causing a whole new set of problems and don't see anyone stepping up to the plate to answer the challenge.

I will wager that all of those who aren't stepping up still believe that government administrated healthcare is a good idea. If you can't point out successful government programs (and there are tens of thousands from which to choose), on what rational basis do you believe that government healthcare would be different?
Lend Lease, US Military during WWII, including the Victory ship program, the fight against Polio and Small Pox, CDC, the Postal Service, the Manned Moon Mission, the IRS, Social Security, the several laws passed that took labor from involuntary servitude (including child labor laws) of the robber barons to what we have now, WPA, CCC., WIC, Welfare, and then there are the programs that enabled equal rights for persons of color...I remember the "colored only" restrooms in train stations when I was traveling in the army.

"... making them worse or causing a whole new set of problems and don't see anyone stepping up to the plate to answer the challenge..." Republicans at the time said the same thing about how this would be a problem with social security also.

Addendum: TVA, Fed. Special Education Programs.

"... making them worse or causing a whole new set of problems and don't see anyone stepping up to the plate to answer the challenge..." Republicans at the time said the same thing about how this would be a problem with social security also.

And look how that turned out.

And look how that turned out.
It was working fine until congress raided the social security funds for other purposes (Both dems and repub. congress), and the "solution" proposed to "save" social security from Republicans is to raise the retirement age and lower benefits. I am 64 and retired. Half my income comes from S.S. It has worked for me.

It was working fine until congress raided the social security funds for other purposes (Both dems and repub. congress), and the "solution" proposed to "save" social security from Republicans is to raise the retirement age and lower benefits. I am 64 and retired. Half my income comes from S.S. It has worked for me.

It's also bankrupting our country. Nowhere in the Constitution does it say that it's the government's responsibility to secure your life after retirement. The Founders would be appalled at the idea of the modern, FDR "welfare state" where the government is supposed to take care of you from cradle to grave.

It's also bankrupting our country. Nowhere in the Constitution does it say that it's the government's responsibility to secure your life after retirement. The Founders would be appalled at the idea of the modern, FDR "welfare state" where the government is supposed to take care of you from cradle to grave.
"We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America..." Hummm...seems like that could be interpreted to mean just that.

Werbung:

SS is bankrupting the county? That's rich. The feds "borrowed" $177 billion from SS last year, and still didn't balance the budget without borrowing more from China. SS isn't bankrupting the country, it is bankrolling the country.

The logical fix for SS is to get the money out of the general fund and into a trust fund, then start paying back those IOUs.

Of course, to do that, the feds would have to cut back their spending spree. Fat chance.

Back