Iran Isn't "Evil". Who'd Have Guessed?

Mr. Shaman

I guess that's another BUSHCO-Absolute that needs to go into the crapper. :rolleyes:

Cernig: We often hear that the Iranian people love America even if their rulers do not. Does your experience agree with this?

Gareth Porter: Certainly people in Tehran are very friendly to Americans on a personal level. I think the viewpoint about “America” is much more variegated, however, depending on political views about both domestic politics in Iran and U.S. policy.

Cernig: We also hear that Iran's rulers use opposition to America and the West as a patriotic lever to stay in power. Is this true, and how does the Bush administration's policy affect Iranian feelings about their leaders?

Gareth Porter: There is no doubt that President Ahmadinejad has exploited nationalism and popular perceptions of U.S. and Western aggressiveness toward Iran – especially over the nuclear issue – as part of his appeal to his base of practicing Muslims in smaller cities and in the rural areas. That appeal does not work very well in Tehran and other larger cities, however. As for the Islamic regime more generally, I do not have the impression that it depends on hostility toward the West to remain in power. Certainly there have been times (e.g., the early to mid-1990s) when the regime was consciously seeking to improve relations with the West over a considerable period of time, and that strategy was evidently adopted in the belief that the economic benefits of a reduction in tensions would benefit the regime rather than harm it."

In-order-to end all o' this bogus-conflict, we need to drop Bush's base & Ahmadinejad's base on a deserted-island, somewhere....give 'em all baseball-bats, and....you know....see what happens.​

"They are critical about the way we live in Iran - they complain about unemployment, the way we live with violence, and the government ignoring the people."​

Werbung:
Back