1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Discuss politics - join our community by registering for free here! HOP - the political discussion forum

Is Hate Speech Legal?

Discussion in 'U.S. Politics' started by Brandon, May 10, 2007.

1. Brandon

Brandon New Member

While I realize that this is a WORLD web site, so I will leave out any references to the U.S.

Do you think that hate speech should be protected speech or should it be outlawed? Should people that use it, be fined or arrested? If so, why should they be fined/arrested?

2. berlinlife06

berlinlife06 New Member

If it is just speech that doesn't go into an actual action to harm somebody physically, then I don't think it is illegal. You have the right to say whatever you want, the same way I have the right to do the same. Some people choose to hate and show it through their language and speech, but they have the right to do it. Therefore, it is legal.

3. vicki2

vicki2 New Member

I don't like alot of the hate speech laws and things considered taboo right now. While there's a lot of it I don't care to hear, I also think that to prevent people from venting just bottles up feelings which lead to actions worse than words. Governments can't regulate our thoughts nor do I think they should try.

4. tater03

tater03 New Member

I would agree with you. I may not like some of the things that I hear but I feel that we should have a right to voice them with no fear of being fined. Now when it turns into harming other people through violence to them I don't agree with that at all.

5. FourBear

FourBear New Member

I don't think hate speech is illegal...but hate actions are. Anything could be construed as hate sppech if it was in fact illegal, and that would make for a mountain of problems.