1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Discuss politics - join our community by registering for free here! HOP - the political discussion forum

Is Nancy Grace Evil?

Discussion in 'Other Policies' started by palefrost, Sep 15, 2006.

1. palefrost

palefrost New Member

I put this is society section because Im concerned about this trend i see in regard to how journalist, for lack of a better term, use news stories to cause sensationalizm or shock journalizm to get attention. Was she out of line here? Can she be held accountable for this womans death? Can her family sue her?

2. Brandon

Brandon New Member

It certainly is inappropriate to be yelling at her but I don't see how Nancy Grace could be blamed. All Nancy did was ask questions in a hostile manner.

3. tater03

tater03 New Member

I don't think she should be held resposible for her death. I have no clue for sure if the mother was involved in her sons disappearance. But i can honestly say that i would be shouting out where i was and what i did that day, hoping someone would have seen something. I seen the interview and yes she was hard on her, but i will agree with her on one thing. Why wouldn't you say exactly where you were that day. What store? When? Not that she needed to tell Nancy Grace these answers, but from what i've heard on the latest reports she was pretty vague on this same question with the police.

4. dong

dong New Member

I'm not sure about the responbility part as establishing causation here is often a nebulous business. But given the well known public reaction to media, it is reasonable to argue that such methods of journalism should not be condoned. We presume people are accountable to rational functioning far more than we really are, and I do not support the perpetuation of this misconception. As such, I'm of the opinion Nancy ought to change her technique somewhat as it is very possible that Duckett's death was at least in part caused by her and was preventable.

5. l99999us

l99999us New Member

The sad thing is so long as the media is obsessed with stories like this and so long as she can get ratings this way nothing is going to change.

6. Plumley

Plumley New Member

This kind of journalism makes me uncomfortable because it seems to me the purpose is shock, rather than news. It doesn't give me any pleasure to see someone squirm and I think investigation is better left to those with the ability to do something with the facts they uncover. Even so, the reporter is responsible for her own behavior but not for the decisions made by the person she interviewed.

7. palefrost

palefrost New Member

Totally agree with you and that is what has me worried. I also heard the mother wasn't very stable to begin with. I'm not saying she is innocent but now the investigation could be effected.

I will say this, I dont like Nancy Grace. She reminds me of one of those people that would scream "witch" out during the burning crusades.

8. DJDizzy1

DJDizzy1 New Member

This is why I don't watch any news on tv besides my local news. I think journalism has become rather seedy as of late to many journalist that will do anything to make a name for themselves, and they make it hard for other journalist who report the facts not sensationalism.

9. dong

dong New Member

You could make a generalisation to all public exposure in general, such as, say, in politics.

10. hokeshel

hokeshel New Member

The very things that make Nancy Grace a great attorney are the things that make a lot of people hate her show. We should never consider her a journalist. I watch the show on occassion because she often has people involved in the story that you don't see elsewhere so, you can get information for the horse's mouth---insert horse's ass joke here.