Is political correctness damaging?

We are living in a time when absolutely everything has to be censored before it is deemed 'worthy' of public attention, or for that matter even being said in public. It is sad and pathetic that the weak minded in our society have the majority of control. People with more than half a brain have to watch their back and make sure that whatever they say and do will not offend the most sensitive members of society. What happened to survival of the fittest??
That having been said, I believe that we all just need to respect each other.

Werbung:
Political correctness is essentially useless as far as coming up with new, extra-sensitive ways to refer to things. Take retardation and other mental diseases, for example. When a person says the word retarded (a non-judgmental clinical term) these days, it is considered offensive to some people, who would prefer to say "differently abled", "handi-capable", or some other misleading, convoluted language. Give it enough time, and those terms will eventually offend people too. (Ten years later, kids will be shouting in playgrounds, "I bet your daddy is a handi-capable flight attendant!"). If people stick with the same words that have been used in the past, there will be less confusion. To steal an idea from George Carlin, people act as if changing the name of the condition somehow changes the condition itself.

As for racist epithets, there is no reason why people should not be able to use them. Personally, I like to know who I'm dealing with, so if some pig-headed racist has to hide his true colors because of restrictions on speech, it does me a disservice. If he instead openly and regularly insulted people's races, religions, or cultures in public using identifiable language, I wouldn't have to wait until he's eating dinner at my house to find out he's a total jerkoff.

On the flipside, such words can be very offensive to some people (mostly the people they target) and with good reason. The word nigger, for instance, was used by white people for centuries to denigrate, subordinate, and dehumanize millions of black people. As a result, a white person using that word against a black person today is essentially attacking that person with the psychological force of whips and chains. The word faggot originally referred to a bundle of sticks; it came to refer to a homosexual because so many of them were burned to death while tied to faggots.

Good points. One of the things I'm not so sure I think will work in the long haul are all the laws now in place to punish racism. I think that racism will exist regardless of laws saying it isn't allowed and that those same laws do more to incite bad feelings than get rid of them.

Racism still exists but it has become more subtle. Racists use it in such a way that it is not obvious. This way when the victim of racism complains about it, the racist can say it meant something else.

You also have to remember that Racism is very prevalent in our youth. At my High School, class divisions are almost default. A lot of kids also use deregatory terms as a basis in their vocabulary. While this is subtle racism, I believe it is wrong, and should be countered.

I have to agree with word2action and capital. If you depower words and actions....we would then find something else to moan and cry over :banana: :p

I agree on the point about depowering words. If a word loses its power, its no longer controversial. I mean if you curse in another language without knowing what it means, the curse literally means nothing to you.

Werbung:
I am sorry but ALL THIS POLITICALLY CORRECT stuff is COMPLETE CRAP!!

Its gotton totally utterly insane here in the states (Not surprisingly) and im sick of it!!

Back