Is the mind separate from the brain?

You just can't compartmentalize this, can ya'?

It's a paradox, Coyote:

And no one but me has any right to claim my body against my will.

All rights are secondary to the right to live.
Preach believes that the only person who has claim to your body against your will is the unborn inside you (for the sake of this argument). If you cannot resolve that point with finality, then you can't get past this. "East is east and west is west, and never the twain shall meet."

Werbung:
You just can't compartmentalize this, can ya'?

It's a paradox, Coyote:

Preach believes that the only person who has claim to your body against your will is the unborn inside you (for the sake of this argument). If you cannot resolve that point with finality, then you can't get past this. "East is east and west is west, and never the twain shall meet."

How would I compartmentalize this? I can't get past it. The implications are horrendous on both sides of the issue.

Ahhhhhhhhh....is that where this is heading?

I am just floating along with the current. It is heading wherever it goes.

How would I compartmentalize this? I can't get past it. The implications are horrendous on both sides of the issue.

Are the implications equally horrendous on both sides? Nearly 2 billion women have not been inconvenienced at the expense of two billion innocent lives. Which way do the scales tip for you?

Sorry, that dart was directed at The Preacher.

It doesn't need compartmentalizing from my point of view. All rights are secondary to the right to live. Unless, of course, legislation is written that explicitly enumerates that the right to live has been denied to a particular individual or group for a specific reason.

By "compartmentalize", I meant to keep that discussion in the applicable threads that already exist for that purpose instead of dragging that fight into this thread.

By "compartmentalize", I meant to keep that discussion in the applicable threads that already exist for that purpose instead of dragging that fight into this thread.

Say what you mean. I am just a country boy and aint so good with words over 3 syllables.

I am just floating along with the current. It is heading wherever it goes.

Are the implications equally horrendous on both sides? Nearly 2 billion women have not been inconvenienced at the expense of two billion innocent lives. Which way do the scales tip for you?

The scales are steady.

On on end of it is - for me personally - the slippery slope that someone else can make decisions regarding my body against my will - that some one can effectively own it. And that this law would apply to no other group of human beings. At some point that decision may have adverse - maybe seriously adverse consequences for me. Do I want to allow some stranger to have that level of control over my self? Would I likewise be able to control that strangers life? Not likely. It's very fundamental Pale.

Do you believe that the mind is dependent upon the brain to the point that when the brain dies, the mind dies with it or is it possible that the mind continues on but is unable to further interact with this "plane" as it no longer has the physical brain with which to do so?

I'd like to believe the latter, but truth be told I'm just not sure. I believe that the mind inhabits the brain instead of using it from afar; once the brain is dead the mind no longer inhabits it. What happens to the mind afterwards...well, like I said, I'm not sure. If there is any sort of afterlife I'd bet it's the mind's experience of existing as free electrical charge outside the brain, rather than constrained charge within it.

The scales are steady.

Is that true coyote? That it has been worth ending two billion lives to save two billion women from being inconvenienced?

On on end of it is - for me personally - the slippery slope that someone else can make decisions regarding my body against my will - that some one can effectively own it. And that this law would apply to no other group of human beings. At some point that decision may have adverse - maybe seriously adverse consequences for me. Do I want to allow some stranger to have that level of control over my self? Would I likewise be able to control that strangers life? Not likely. It's very fundamental Pale.

The fact is that law already determines what you can and can't do with and to your body. You already live under such law and to argue that you have a problem with such law when you already willingly live under such law creates a logical problem within your argument.

And as I pointed out to mare, there are laws that apply only to men as well. It isn't that the law is angry at, or particularly vengeful towards men but that men are the only ones who, by definition, the law could apply to .

Werbung:
The fact is that law already determines what you can and can't do with and to your body.

And the law does not grant full rights to the fetus either.

Perhaps the law is wrong.

You already live under such law and to argue that you have a problem with such law when you already willingly live under such law creates a logical problem within your argument.

I believe I respect laws, and I respect the process by which we change our laws. Like any person there is probably a point at which I could feel that the laws fundamentally break with my own moral code and I will have to decide whether or not I can live under them or challange them or ignore them. That would be a pretty extreme point.

And as I pointed out to mare, there are laws that apply only to men as well. It isn't that the law is angry at, or particularly vengeful towards men but that men are the only ones who, by definition, the law could apply to .

What laws apply only to men? Do any of them take control of a man's body away from him?

Back