Is the United States a Republic or Democracy?

Werbung:
I've seen this video before, and it's essentially tripe.

"Republic" is never defined. It's a government defined by "laws." Who makes these laws?

Madison defined the idea of Republic for America in terms of a representative democracy.

In the end, the people are where the power to make law resides in a republic. Romans assembled to make laws, but their voting scheme was skewed to the upper class. America's voting system is, at least it's suppose to be, more egalitarian.

America was never meant to be a direct democracy. However, the people are suppose to have indirect control of their government. We could abolish free speech tomorrow if enough people in enough states ratified an Amendment revoking it.

I've seen this video before, and it's essentially tripe.

"Republic" is never defined. It's a government defined by "laws." Who makes these laws?

Madison defined the idea of Republic for America in terms of a representative democracy.

In the end, the people are where the power to make law resides in a republic. Romans assembled to make laws, but their voting scheme was skewed to the upper class. America's voting system is, at least it's suppose to be, more egalitarian.

America was never meant to be a direct democracy. However, the people are suppose to have indirect control of their government. We could abolish free speech tomorrow if enough people in enough states ratified an Amendment revoking it.

I was educated in public schools so forgive me for not knowing

but I was under the impression that a republic was where we vote by majority a person to go represent us. That is for the most part what we do but they have stopped representing us so I dont like the system anymore.

"That is for the most part what we do but they have stopped representing us so I dont like the system anymore."

Too bad you didn't stay awake in your civics class. You might have learned that the majority rule. When the wingnuts were in power they advanced their causes right up to point where they almost destroyed America. Then Americans, in two consecutive national elections, voted them out of power. The Democrats are now in charge. They have the right to advance their causes, which early on consists to a great extent fixing the messes made by Republicans.

If you hate America that much, you can probably find some great real estate deals in Baghdad.

I was educated in public schools so forgive me for not knowing

but I was under the impression that a republic was where we vote by majority a person to go represent us. That is for the most part what we do but they have stopped representing us so I dont like the system anymore.

You're not forgiven. Crack a book from time to time.

There's no set method for behavior of representatives outside of procedural matters in our Constitution.

With agency theory in regard to our representatives, there are multiple models ranging from the representatives doing what the people tell them to do to the representative acting independently to do what is best for the people.

The thing that the video missed in its entirety is that the two are not mutually exclusive. Basically, we are both. Our form of government is a republic chosen by through democratic means. To follow along the lines of the clip, our republic is decided on by the majority.
This is largely the case in both design and practice through our government.
The problem is that this clip over simplifies things(probably to better reach its target audience) to a point where the reality doesnt fit into design, but more importantly, it completely overlooks some historical examples that dont fit into its overall agenda. Which to me seems obvious that they want to direct middle schoolers towards the GOP.
Someone could just as easily produce a 10minute video clip to fit thier agenda to be a bleeding hearted wussy liberal, because we vote for our representative in government rather than having them appointed in most cases.

oligarchy

While I have on a few different occasions made the argument that the United States is in fact an oligarchy, but I was mostly playing the devil's advocate.

While some of the players seem to be bad re-runs of a long cancelled sitcom, America is still deeply infused in the democratic-republic form of government.

"That is for the most part what we do but they have stopped representing us so I dont like the system anymore."

Too bad you didn't stay awake in your civics class. You might have learned that the majority rule. When the wingnuts were in power they advanced their causes right up to point where they almost destroyed America. Then Americans, in two consecutive national elections, voted them out of power. The Democrats are now in charge. They have the right to advance their causes, which early on consists to a great extent fixing the messes made by Republicans.

If you hate America that much, you can probably find some great real estate deals in Baghdad.

the majority rules like electing a president or a congressman but that president doesnt have to do what the majority wants... example health care

and that congressman does not have to do what the majority wants ... example raise your taxes.

It seems we have both, the majority rule for electing people but then that person represents us in a way they want reguardless of our feelings. Until election time that is.

The thing that the video missed in its entirety is that the two are not mutually exclusive. Basically, we are both. Our form of government is a republic chosen by through democratic means. To follow along the lines of the clip, our republic is decided on by the majority.
This is largely the case in both design and practice through our government.
The problem is that this clip over simplifies things(probably to better reach its target audience) to a point where the reality doesnt fit into design, but more importantly, it completely overlooks some historical examples that dont fit into its overall agenda. Which to me seems obvious that they want to direct middle schoolers towards the GOP.
Someone could just as easily produce a 10minute video clip to fit thier agenda to be a bleeding hearted wussy liberal, because we vote for our representative in government rather than having them appointed in most cases.

I agree that we are a republic chosen by through democratic means. You articulated it better than I could when I wrote the thread.

And I agree the video over simplifies things but nothing in the video was a lie was it?

"Oh no silly, I am not a liberal or leftist. I dont threaten to leave my country when we get a president I dont like."

Instead you arrive here daily to showcase your vast ignorance with unsubstantiated claims, whines, rants and false statements. That's what Republicans and wingnuts do. The ultimate irony is the fact you accomplish nothing. It's just like a pack of stray dogs barking at the moon, all that noise but nothing results from your actions. That's a good example of why your ilk was thumped in the past two consecutive national elections.

Werbung:
Too bad you didn't stay awake in your civics class.
Civics is still taught??!!!!!

:eek:

(I had no idea. I'd always assumed budget-cuts made the elimination of Civics, Priority One.)

The Founding Fathers HAD to be psychic!!

"Our founding fathers also had misgivings about the quality of thinking and emotional nature of the “masses.” That was why they established the Electoral College and mandated that senators be elected by their respective state legislatures instead of directly by the people."

Back