It's Official: "House Of Politics" Has Been Hijacked

I am proud to be mentioned in the same paragraph as Open mind, shaman, proud lefty and all the other liberals here. Putting photo shopped pics of politicians can be humorous, but it gets tedious after awhile, shows the overall mentality of the poster. I suggest an enlightening debate using facts not insults. This is the internet, not your sandbox. The words are displayed electronicly on your screen with no other threat than to challange your mind, a flick of a finger will transfer you to angry birds or even a conservative dating site where you can plan your future with a like minded mate. So many options.

Werbung:
I am proud to be mentioned in the same paragraph as Open mind, shaman, proud lefty and all the other liberals here. Putting photo shopped pics of politicians can be humorous, but it gets tedious after awhile, shows the overall mentality of the poster. I suggest an enlightening debate using facts not insults. This is the internet, not your sandbox. The words are displayed electronicly on your screen with no other threat than to challange your mind, a flick of a finger will transfer you to angry birds or even a conservative dating site where you can plan your future with a like minded mate. So many options.

Yes, I agree. And I also wanted to suggest that the pictures could be a little smaller???

I really enjoy the pictures, especially the most ridiculous ones (if they're not obscene), but I think I would enjoy them a lot more if they fit entirely on my screen. . .and I am on a small laptop!

I wonder if the mods could discuss whether there could be a guideline for size. . .like 2X3, or 3X4 max? So you would have the full effect of the picture at once, instead of having to scroll down to see the bottom (i.e., that cute bottle of peptobismol. . .I know that some Republicans tend to have constipation of the brain and diarrhea of the mouth. . .but do they really need such a big bottle??? :rolleyes::D:D)

Anyway, just an idea.

I had to laugh when I read this thread since I don't post here very often anymore due to the right wing overabundance.

I was tired of the excoriation I received for my moderate centrist positions on most subjects. As a small business owner I am very fiscally conservative but tend to be a bit more liberal about personal freedom issues like gay marriage and abortion.

As far as the mods taking sides, I don't know who the mods are and I'm not familiar with the actions taken by them. I do know that this is a very lightly modded site compared to many.

the problem is people like rick and some others on the far right, want to be Jesus and die on the cross or something...they wail and scream about how they are being singled out and attacked...while people like me...get yelled at by the mods...and don't cry because we know they where correct..and we move on...

the problem is people like rick and some others on the far right, want to be Jesus and die on the cross or something...they wail and scream about how they are being singled out and attacked...while people like me...get yelled at by the mods...and don't cry because we know they where correct..and we move on...
The far right, in general, seems to have the attitude with most issues that they have the right answer, the only answer, and the rest of the world is just stupid.

The attitude reminds me of Mark Twain's quote that I displayed prominently in my high school notebook: "I am surprised at how much my father learned between the time I was 16 and the time I was 25" or something close to that.

It is too bad, because I am pretty well convinced that while I am already perfect, I could be a lot more perfect if I could learn through honest and open discussions with people who have experiences and conclusions different than mine.

The far right, in general, seems to have the attitude with most issues that they have the right answer, the only answer, and the rest of the world is just stupid.

The attitude reminds me of Mark Twain's quote that I displayed prominently in my high school notebook: "I am surprised at how much my father learned between the time I was 16 and the time I was 25" or something close to that.

It is too bad, because I am pretty well convinced that while I am already perfect, I could be a lot more perfect if I could learn through honest and open discussions with people who have experiences and conclusions different than mine.

I'm perfect as well, of course.

Open and honest discussions is what we are all about, particularly when two perfect people like us see an issue from different sides.

Do you think it is only the extreme right who thinks that the rest of the world is stupid, or does the extreme left think the same thing?

Open and honest discussions is what we are all about, particularly when two perfect people like us see an issue from different sides.

Do you think it is only the extreme right who thinks that the rest of the world is stupid, or does the extreme left think the same thing?

I don't know if I can answer this. . .because I am not FAR LEFT. . .I think I'm just left of the center.

But I certainly don't think every Conservative or Right wing is stupid! Not even every tea party person.

In fact, it is when I believe that a person is really quite intelligent AND well intentionned that it frustrates me if they just repeat "party lines" without really thinking through the issues in depth.

Or when the ONLY source of information they used are far right media or articles. . .

Now, I really don't believe that many people who think Limbaugh has anything more to offer than propaganda, prejudism, hatred and arrogance are very intelligent!

But I'm sure those same people think the same of me when I tell them that I enjoy watching Rachel Maddow, because I think that, although very biased (not quite as much as Hannity or Beck. . .and certainly not as much as Limbaugh or Coulter!), she is fun, intelligent, does great research (with her staff), and when she is wrong, she doesn't hesitate to apologize and to come clean.

I do enjoy debating with the greatest majority of people (of any party) in this forum. I think you mods are doing a great job being discretly there, but participating fully with your own opinions! I really value that!

My own belief is that when we talk about the left and the right we talk as if there is a line and different people are different places on that continuum. Thusly, the far right and the far left are shown as being at extreme ends.

My own belief is that that line is in fact a circle, and the far right and the far left are each so far from the middle that they are in fact next to each other, and are a lot more alike than they are different.

Is the fundamentalist Baptist all that much different from the committed tree hugger?

I don't know if I can answer this. . .because I am not FAR LEFT. . .I think I'm just left of the center.

But I certainly don't think every Conservative or Right wing is stupid! Not even every tea party person.

In fact, it is when I believe that a person is really quite intelligent AND well intentionned that it frustrates me if they just repeat "party lines" without really thinking through the issues in depth.

Or when the ONLY source of information they used are far right media or articles. . .

Now, I really don't believe that many people who think Limbaugh has anything more to offer than propaganda, prejudism, hatred and arrogance are very intelligent!

But I'm sure those same people think the same of me when I tell them that I enjoy watching Rachel Maddow, because I think that, although very biased (not quite as much as Hannity or Beck. . .and certainly not as much as Limbaugh or Coulter!), she is fun, intelligent, does great research (with her staff), and when she is wrong, she doesn't hesitate to apologize and to come clean.

I do enjoy debating with the greatest majority of people (of any party) in this forum. I think you mods are doing a great job being discretly there, but participating fully with your own opinions! I really value that!

your dealing with tea party people though...left of center is saying...I am more Lennon then Stalin in there eyes.

My own belief is that when we talk about the left and the right we talk as if there is a line and different people are different places on that continuum. Thusly, the far right and the far left are shown as being at extreme ends.

My own belief is that that line is in fact a circle, and the far right and the far left are each so far from the middle that they are in fact next to each other, and are a lot more alike than they are different.

Is the fundamentalist Baptist all that much different from the committed tree hugger?

Far left...main goal of Communism...No government..Anarchy
Far Right goal....No Government...Anarchy....

so yes its a circle of sorts...with stay lines shooting off the circle Like how Libertarians are Liberals to Republicans sometimes....When in fact most would place them to the right of them.

Far left...main goal of Communism...No government..Anarchy
Far Right goal....No Government...Anarchy....

so yes its a circle of sorts...with stay lines shooting off the circle Like how Libertarians are Liberals to Republicans sometimes....When in fact most would place them to the right of them.
Exactly. Its not a straight line. I know several social liberals and fiscal conservatives, and vice versa.

Exactly. Its not a straight line. I know several social liberals and fiscal conservatives, and vice versa.

I've been saying for some time that the political model of left to right with most of us somewhere in the middle is simplistic and wrong. A realistic model has to have at least three dimensions:

Traditional left (strong central government) to right (limited central government)

Libertarian to authoritarian, and

Pragmatic to ideological.

There may be a fourth dimension in the arena of foreign affairs as well, from isolationist to neoconservative (Project for a New American Century guys).

I've been saying for some time that the political model of left to right with most of us somewhere in the middle is simplistic and wrong. A realistic model has to have at least three dimensions:

Traditional left (strong central government) to right (limited central government)

Libertarian to authoritarian, and

Pragmatic to ideological.

There may be a fourth dimension in the arena of foreign affairs as well, from isolationist to neoconservative (Project for a New American Century guys).

I agree! And instead of providing room for more "nuance" in political ideologies, we seem, as a nation, to be moving close to the right hand of the spectrum. . to the edge of the cliff leading to fascism!

I agree! And instead of providing room for more "nuance" in political ideologies, we seem, as a nation, to be moving close to the right hand of the spectrum. . to the edge of the cliff leading to fascism!

The right hand side of the simplistic and misleading one dimensional model does seem to include a strong dose of authoritarianism, or so it seems.

Werbung:
Properly understood, the "far right" would conclude in monarchism, not fascism.

Fascism explicitly rejects all the philosophical tenets of the historical right, including the subordination of the state to the rational universal order headed by God.

Back