I've never been embarrassed to be a liberal, until now

It also becomes a problem when people try and change history or pretend it didn't happen when we all know that they did. Just erasing parts of history you don't like, isn't going to make it unhappen.
No it won't make it "unhappen," but it won't change anything to dredge it up every election cycle, and try to blame those who were born 150 years after the fact either. Do liberals even realize that the first slave holder in America was a black man, named Anthony Johnson? He was an indentured servant (paid) who was released from his obligation after 7 years, and bought himself a slave. Do liberals realize that black chieftans in Africa rounded up their own people, and sold them into slavery? Do liberals know anything?

Werbung:
It also becomes a problem when people try and change history or pretend it didn't happen when we all know that they did. Just erasing parts of history you don't like, isn't going to make it unhappen.
That's the part that irritates me. It happened. You're not going to erase it by pretending that it didn't happen, and it doesn't make you racist because you bring up what happened in the past. That's the first thing people want to claim. Racism this and racism that. Pointing out a fact does not make it a racist act.

No it won't make it "unhappen," but it won't change anything to dredge it up every election cycle, and try to blame those who were born 150 years after the fact either. Do liberals even realize that the first slave holder in America was a black man, named Anthony Johnson? He was an indentured servant (paid) who was released from his obligation after 7 years, and bought himself a slave. Do liberals realize that black chieftans in Africa rounded up their own people, and sold them into slavery? Do liberals know anything?

Do liberals know anything? Probably, and they probably know the two facts that you went on to state on your rant.

I'm not a liberal, I was merely pointing out that erasing history from your books, isn't going to actually erase it from history. While your right that no good ever comes from bringing it up all the time either, at the of the day it is what it is, and as far as an election is concerned, I'd be more concerned about what the future holds, nevermind about the past.

That's the part that irritates me. It happened. You're not going to erase it by pretending that it didn't happen, and it doesn't make you racist because you bring up what happened in the past. That's the first thing people want to claim. Racism this and racism that. Pointing out a fact does not make it a racist act.

History isn't black or white. Saying something happened also doesn't tell the whole story. Judging history by today's standards also does not give a clear picture of what came before, like who were the slave traders? Who opposed slavery? What about the discussion of other countries involved in slavery? The United States only took 4% of the Atlantic slave trade. Why are none of the other countries involved in the capture, selling and buying of slaves held to the same standards? Why is todays active slave trade not included in the discussion?

History isn't black or white. Saying something happened also doesn't tell the whole story. Judging history by today's standards also does not give a clear picture of what came before, like who were the slave traders? Who opposed slavery? What about the discussion of other countries involved in slavery? The United States only took 4% of the Atlantic slave trade. Why are none of the other countries involved in the capture, selling and buying of slaves held to the same standards? Why is todays active slave trade not included in the discussion?
I will agree with this argument (surprising as it sounds to me). Each century has its own standards of what is right or wrong. I believe we should not hide that history, because it is exactly that, history. We don't go anywhere if we focus simply on judging the past by our standards. I believe we should tell that story (although with more diversity), but also show how we're different in the future.

It doesn't matter what you put in the textbooks, if things aren't better in the future (by our current standards), then what lesson are we teaching?

SLAvery like many other evils is part of History. MOSt countries practised it. The USA was the last to benefit from it as the last slaves were sent t here. but they did not invent it MAny countries did things in the past which they now regret, GErmany elected Hitler who commited so many crimes.against jews and othrs. But not all germans supported this. britain commited war crimes in africa due the BOar war, ASTRALIANS AND AMERICANS KILL THE NATIVE PEOPLW IN LARGE NUMBERS.WE now are ashame of theses things.

Werbung:
I suppose that anyone still using this nineteenth-century label must be very old and probably gaga about what it might mean.

Back