1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Discuss politics - join our community by registering for free here! HOP - the political discussion forum

Jesse Helms R.I.P.

Discussion in 'U.S. Politics' started by Libsmasher, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Libsmasher

Libsmasher New Member

2. Sihouette

Sihouette Active Member

Tim Russert reads Clinton's premature political obituary, then dies prematurely on Friday the 13th, the same day the power went out in Washington DC.

Jessie Helms, the GOP icon dies on the day of our nation's birthday. Are the forefathers telling us something?

It's like some crazy Santeria..:eek:

Next thing you know the Demon Cat will be prowling the Capitol Building.

3. Federal Farmer

Federal Farmer New Member

May God grant him peace. He was a great and honorable politician, and served our State well, he will be missed. :(

4. Popeye

Popeye Active Member

From Wikipedia

He was quite a guy all right. Good riddance.

5. all_arm

all_arm New Member

don't want to get into the business of vilifying the (very recently) deceased, but jesse helms was anything but a good dude. the senate is certainly better off without him, i'll say that much.

6. Federal Farmer

You people are in DIRE need of help.

7. all_arm

all_arm New Member

honorable? maybe YOU need help.

8. Federal Farmer

No, y'all do, because you're too invested in your petty special interests to comprehend the bigger picture that Jesse Helms was getting at. He, and many like him, understand a basic truth that you couldn't comprehend if it smacked you in the face; America isn't about "special interests" and the moment you give ANYONE special dispensation for anything, you've begun to DESTROY this country. He spoke out against that "gay" agenda, and the "black" agenda, and the "womens" agenda, and the "handicapped" agenda, and every other damnable agenda because they're ANTI-AMERICAN.

Maybe one day, when you stop worrying about everyone's pet agenda, and concern yourself more with what America is really all about, you'll see that all of these special dispensations are doing nothing more than making slaves of the very people you claim to be wanting to help. Theodore Roosevelt said it best, "a hyphenated American is not an American at all".

9. Popeye

Popeye Active Member

Helm's better hope there's not a God because he sure as hell isn't going to heaven.

10. all_arm

all_arm New Member

maybe one day you'll wake the hell up and realize that the country you love so much has been perpetrating great crimes against every group that didn't make up the majority, the white christian men, and that it is more important to the ideals of america to insure equality than to allow the injustice to continue for the sake of maintaining the "equilibrium" you seem to seek.

until someone piped up about the "black agenda," blacks were slaves, and then they couldn't vote, and then they couldn't mix with whites, use the same water fountains, go to the same school.

until somone brought up the "women's agenda," they couldn't own property or vote.

america didn't suddenly come of age in 1968. it is changing continually, continues to do so, and always will. those anti-american agendas you decry are the only reason we can continue to insure that that standards on which the country was founded continue to be extended to all necessary individuals.

(and yet, i notice you do not decry the corporate agenda, the big business agenda, which helms was indubitably beholden to. shows your priorities.)

jesse helms was a hateful, racist cracker. he was scum. i didn't want to get into all this, but if it's what you want to hear: the WORLD is better off without jesse helms, and people like him. people who think that devotion to the old ways is more important than equality and freedom. and you're ignorant to claim for even a second that there were any redeeming qualities in his public persona. helms is the type of person who was a segregationist in the 1960's, a secessionist in the 1860's, and a loyalist in the 1760's. he was a traitor.

good riddance indeed.

11. GenSeneca

GenSeneca Well-Known Member

Will you both feel this way about Sen. Byrd when he dies?

Somehow I doubt it... ;)

12. Federal Farmer

Contrary to what you may think, I live with that reality every day. Frankly, your attempted admonition would have carried more weight without the thinly veiled attempt at slight, but I realize that you're "not quite ready for prime time", and must still play your silly school yard games.

Also, I seek no "equilibrium", I seek nothing more, and nothing less than the same thing that the FF's sought, true freedom for everyone. Not anarchy, not "democracy", but FREEDOM, for all Americans and from a tyrannical government that has usurped OUR Rights without our consent.

Your knowledge of your own history is obviously severely lacking. Even Thomas Jefferson, a slave holder himself, tried desperately to find a way to be able to free the slaves from that "peculiar institution" in such a way as to guarantee their liberty, and without destroying the entire economy of the nation in the process. The fact that Jefferson's fears were so blatantly brought to fruition as the northern states freed their slaves only further illuminated for everyone the difficulties in that effort.

And in much of the world, they still cannot, so I suppose that America stands as a shining example of what can be done.

13. Federal Farmer

He is going to heaven, because he's already served his time in Hell.

As for his admonition that Clinton not visit Bragg, isn't it odd that he never did? I guess ole Bill took him seriously.:eek:

14. Federal Farmer

You mean Robert "KKK" Byrd?

15. GenSeneca

GenSeneca Well-Known Member

Yeah, good ol' sheets.... I wrote a satire piece about him, I might share.

"There are white ni**ers, I've seen a lot of white ni**ers in my time... If you want to use that word." --(D)Sen. Robert Byrd

The (D) is a political "Get out of jail free" card. Nobody with that symbol can be labeled racist, sexist, bigoted or homophobic but all those things are just assumed to apply to those with an (R) in front of their name.